• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Presentation for trading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Presentation for trading?

Arendelle

DPF Nut
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
What do you think? Helpful? Too much? Any other ideas?
It’s a scrap-booking photo card with a custom business “backer card” and the pin in a game “card protector” along with the backing card.
The info (as a sample) that I put on this one (please add suggestions!) was Pinpics number, year released, wants, trades, and character/title for pin....looking forward to suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

83f7a9b8252ab2d657d34cd425513492.jpg

And then I totally forgot to include a picture! Lol

As someone who relies heavily on PinPics trading and wants numbers, I really appreciate when someone does the research for me. Often times, when I am trading for a new trader I have to look up PinPics to help me make a decision. I haven't been doing pins for super long to know every pin out there, and I don't rely on my intuition to make a trade, so I use Pinpics to determine how popular and how rare a pin is. The more popular and more rare, the more I'd want to trade for it if I am not keeping it.

It's more work than I'd be willing to do, but if you're up to it, I think it's cool. Only thing is the wants/trades is fluid and changes.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

The thing for me is that a lot of my “new” older pins I don’t know very well, so I have to research them anyway. So I don’t really mind one more unusual/rarer ones...but I doubt I will do this for every pin. Also older pins the trades/wants are fairly well established...thoughts?

I just list the LE # if there is one, if it's from someplace special(DSSH, WDI, etc), and the PPs # on a little sticker that goes on the baseball card sleeve in binders I use. That way I don't have to do as much work and the person who I'm trading with can easily look it up on pinpics if they need to.

Lately I've noticed many traders at DL just listing the $ value with the pins as most people just seem to be trading $ for $ value-wise rather than any other factors. Seems to just be the norm now to say "mine is a $30 pin, what do you value yours at?" and check ebay sold prices rather than PinPics anymore.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but it seems to be how people are trading these days.

But short of when I have to do it that way "my pin is worth X", for the most part I'm still old school "ooh shiny - do I have anything you want for that one?" Although granted, I mostly stick to simple stuff like hidden mickeys and rack pins as no one has my handful of missing pins for my collection.

My $.02: I wouldn't bother with the want:trade ratio, and here's why. I consider it an extremely inaccurate method to assess exactly how 'desired' a pin is by how many people want it versus how many people have it for trade - for several reasons.

First of all, unless this has changed, the want:trade ratio used to include everyone who had that pin listed in those respective categories, regardless of whether they were actively trading and/or updating their accounts. That meant that these data easily could become outdated.

Second, you aren't taking into account that when people DO update their accounts, these ratio will change. That means that the ratios you'll have painstakingly researched potentially could become outdated and inaccurate by the time a potential trader is interested in your pin. I think it'll be much better to have the interested party research the ratio on the day of the potential transaction for the most up-to-date information, if that is what he/she wants to know about the pin.

Third, even if the want:trade ratio formula has been updated to automatically remove anyone who has opted out of the TA or hasn't updated his/her account within a specified time, the ratio still can be manipulated by people who want to make a pin seem more or less desirable. If you have a pin for trade and you want to make it seem more desirable? Add it to your wants list to artificially inflate the people who want it and/or remove yourself from the people trading it to artificially decrease the numbers offering.

I'm not saying to throw the proverbial baby out with the bathwater and ignore want:trade ratios. I'm just saying to take them with the proverbial grain (or would a barrel be more appropriate?) of salt and use other factors along with it when considering how to value a pin for either trade or purchase/sale.

If you are so inclined to do all this extra work (and I'm seriously impressed that you are), I would include the Pin Pics # so people can look up said want:trade ratio if they choose. I also would include year released, origin, and edition size (LE, LR, OE).

Looks good. I like that you include the Pinpic # - sometimes that is quite a chore to figure out. I agree to include OE/LR/LE#

Oh, just another thought (I really should stop posting at zero-dark-thirty. You also could include the number for individually numbered pins, where applicable (for example, when you're dealing with an LE pin from DLRP).

Wow! That's a really nice setup for traders. Much better than me just sticking them all in a pin bag. :)
I agree with others that the LE is very important. Where it's from is a good one as well. Not sure the year is important, but certainly doesn't hurt. But I do think the PinPics # is very useful and should be included but not the wants/needs since those change. I realize some folks only care about how much it is selling for on eBay, which truly saddens me. But I, and many others, still base my trading on a combination of LE and wants/needs ratio first and foremost. So by you providing that number, I can much more easily check that and decide if I want to trade with you. At least for pins I'm not familiar with. But most of the ones I want I already know roughly where they stand. :D

Hi,

I have been doing something like this for a while now.
I use the perforated paper business cards from Avery and print sheets of them on my printer.
It's fun because you can put whatever graphic and information that you want on it.
I have always done W/T ratios - but that is an ever changing number - maybe I'll switch to $ value. I circle the LE,AP,OE if it applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back