• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Question about AP stamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about AP stamp

Thimble

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so recently I received this pin from a purchase on ebay.. [pinpics]56113[/pinpics]

Very excited to receive my purchase, it came on it's card so I took it off to inspect the back of it and there is a tiny AP stamped into one of the ears on the pin trading logo! I didn't see an AP version of this pin on pinpics..was wondering if they ever use the AP stamp in the ears or if this would be a fake stamp? It wasn't marketed as an AP pin, and I checked all of the other pins I got from the same purchase and none of the others have a stamp. Was just wondering if this is a red flag or possibly genuine. I am relatively new to trading and have never had any experience with AP pins so any help is appreciated :)

Thanks, Thimble

Thanks, it does some but I am still curious..

Do they ever put the stamp on the pin trading logo itself?? The AP stamp looks very similar to the one in the last picture, except for in the ear of the logo.

Do they ever put AP stamped pins for sale as a normal pin?

Are AP stamps often faked; is there any way to tell for sure if one is real or not?

Sorry for the many questions everyone!

-Thimble

Do they ever put the stamp on the pin trading logo itself?? The AP stamp looks very similar to the one in the last picture, except for in the ear of the logo.

Are AP stamps often faked; is there any way to tell for sure if one is real or not?

-Thimble

1. Yes, they put the AP stamp in the logo itself. One time, I had an AP pin, marked it in my book as an AP pin, forgot where the AP stamp was and it took forever to find (found it in the logo box!);
2. I'm guessing the seller of the item didn't know it was an AP pin. I traded for a pin this weekend - thought maybe I had overtraded for 2 pins. I received one LE 1000, 1 Tokyo Disneyland Resort pin and traded two LE 550s, a LE 1200 (from DLP) and a hidden mickey. I took the pin home and realized it was a PP pin (the trader I got it from apparently didn't realize it either).
3. I don't know if they are ever sold as normal pins. Usually, you get AP pins from cast members, boards, traders.
4. Does the impression go through the pin to the other side? I've heard that one way it is faked (but easy to tell) is that the stamp damages the other side of the pin.

I am the one who personally sacrificed a scrapper to test stamping into the back, it bent the pin and damaged the surface when struck heavy enough to give a solid impression on the back. I used a jewlers poundo no mar board as the surface and a standard carbon steel punch to replicate the AP

I assume they stamp before the final polish but after painting.

We got a bunch of AP pins last year in 3 trips to WDW the ones on cards were all at special events notably the Everest 5th year celebration event (the Dj and a few CM were distributing them)

I've seen AP stamped on just about every part of the back of a pin. Sometimes they are really hard to find! Perhaps the seller didn't know it was an AP when they listed the item. Do you have a pic you can share?

-Thimble

1) Disney does put the stamp in the logo and sometimes put it in one of the mickey ears of the logo. Below is an example of pin 74165's AP stamp (in the left Mickey Ear).

SmallInEarAPStamp.png

2) On very rare occasions has Disney sold AP's on the rack at parks (unintentionally), I have only heard of one instance where this has happened. Most of the time AP/PP's are obtained from hard ticket Disney pin events.

3) AP stamps have been faked but as walrus has said they damage the pin in the process so they are easy to spot. On rare occasions I have seen some official AP pins have some front side damage because the stamp was applied with way too much force. If you have any questions about the authenticity of an AP stamp you can PM me, I would be happy to help! :bigthumb:​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back