• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Question about Legit Park Pins on E-Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about Legit Park Pins on E-Bay

broncobilly83

Scrooge McDuck's #1 Nickel
DPF Correspondent
Rating - 100%
297   0   0
OK, this is a good one, and I am not singling out any particular seller, but I was wondering

We all know about people who sell scrappers in lots on E-Bay, but what about those who sell legit park pins on E-Bay, under what they cost in the parks?!?

I use the new Snow White Piece of Movie History, which is 19.95 plus tax at the parks. How does someone make money selling it for $17.99 plus $3 shipping on E-Bay after fees, etc. I see that more and more, legit park pins on cards or pin sets still in the package sometimes up to 30% off what they are in the parks, even when they first are released? (I thought about maybe they bought clearance but how does explain the Snow White pin just released)

Is it possible that there are counterfeit versions of those being made and then distributed? We've all heard about pins with a release date of xx/xx/2010, and those pins are showing up on cast lanyards several weeks prior.

Maybe the seller is a CM? I forgot where I read that they get a 40% discount on items...also as sad as it is, I think it would be relatively easy for someone to steal items from Disney - I knew a girl a few years ago who told me she stole things (frames, jewelry, etc) to bring back as gifts to friends, which makes me sad :(

They factor in a ton of stolen items into your prices...I think the last number is that they expect 20% to be stolen!?

Let's use this one for the "For Instance"

pin78609

Pin 78609: Stitch Adventure - Collectors Set

This is an LE300 that retails at the parks for $89.95. I know this as I saw in in October when I was there as I debated getting it. There are auctions for that set, which shows an actual picture of it in it's box, for $64! If it was just pins, no package, I could see that being a fake, but we are talking with the proper cards/packages/boxes. I did not think we had heard of counterfeit cards/packages/boxes yet

Last edited:
I think it is a combination of two things:

1) The person may be a cast member and is piling up discounts or
2) (the more likely scenario) - people are laundering their scrappers. They buy 3 scrappers for 75 cents (or whatever the going rate for scrappers is), run around the park and trade them for new hidden mickies, set their trap up at Epcot and wait for someone to come along that is willing to buy them something nicer for the 3 hidden mickies they just got, and then sell it as a discount on ebay or trade whatever they got for the pin they are selling. Thier original investment is still 75 cents and they are selling for $17....even if it is below retail, they are still making money hand over fist.

2) (the more likely scenario) - people are laundering their scrappers. They buy 3 scrappers for 75 cents (or whatever the going rate for scrappers is), run around the park and trade them for new hidden mickies, set their trap up at Epcot and wait for someone to come along that is willing to buy them something nicer for the 3 hidden mickies they just got, and then sell it as a discount on ebay or trade whatever they got for the pin they are selling. Thier original investment is still 75 cents and they are selling for $17....even if it is below retail, they are still making money hand over fist.

This is a total shame! That is why I won't trade with those people.

And I agree about the theft. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people walk into one of the stores at a park, put on a hat and walk out. They think nothing of it. Makes me so angry!

There are a lot of pins sold at discount through the CM stores and the Character Warehouse Outlets in Florida. And sometimes I've been surprised by how fast certain items have shown up on the discount rack. And during December CMs had 50% discounts. While they are not supposed to use them to buy things to resell, it does happen.

Holy Macaroni!!! I never thought about it that way!!!!

This is a total shame! That is why I won't trade with those people.

And I agree about the theft. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people walk into one of the stores at a park, put on a hat and walk out. They think nothing of it. Makes me so angry!

I never understood why Disney never has cameras in their stores?! They have this advanced technology to determine how slow lines are (we literally just had an article in the paper about under the castle technology!) and can deploy characters and parades within minutes, but don't stop thieves! I too have seen people walk in the store and grab things and then walk right back out! What's even more shocking, are those that use their kid's strollers to hide the stuff. Makes me sick...

I agree that many people will trade their scrappers for good HM's and then trade to someone who will buy them a pin which they can them sell.
But, here is another example (I am not taking sides either way, just an example)
I personally wholesale Sports cards. Lets say I bought 20 cards for $100.00 each and one day I needed some cash and the cards were not that important to me anymore. I may sell them for $75.00 when the going price is still $100.00 just to move them. There could be legitimate reasons and then again, maybe not.

This may sound bad but here is another way to look at it. I have a retail store and someone comes in and spends $1,000.00. I dont ask them where they got the money. Did they earn it, steal it, etc. They make a purchase in good faith and I accept their money. Now in reverse, you dont know for sure how this person got this pin (of course you can ask) so in good faith, you are buying a real pin at a great price. Are you wrong for doing so?

Have you ever sold something for less than you paid for it for whatever reason?

On the flipside, yes there are many people who take advantage of the system and get pin in a wrongful way but who are we to judge who these people are. Have you ever been accused of something you did not do. Its not a good feeling.

You have to do what feels right to you and that all there is to it.

Yes, yes, yes! I have seen the people do this, send kid around park with cheepo pins, they run around, come back 30 minutes later, and they try to trade them off for good LE pins in the stores. I saw a guy get 3 pin bags for a half dozen hidden Mickey pins (when the person was buying I tried to convince her not to, when she then told me that the person told her she was getting a once in a lifetime deal), the trader then said to her friend that she would be listing all of her stuff on eBay later.

I actually bought a collection off of craigslist one time and at the time, nothing seemed suspicious until the seller emailed me later to ask if I was still looking for more pins. Supposedly, they had found more and I bought them. When they came, I was shocked to see that many had recently been released, which didn't make any sense to me (based on the reasons the person was supposedly selling). When they emailed me again down the line to see if I wanted more, I then asked where they were getting these pins? If they were in such hard financial times, how were they able to go and buy these brand new pins (we're talking numbers stamped on pins and card backs matched, etc.) I never got an email back and I've continued to watch craigslist to see if they list more. I got a great deal, but it's made me very suspicious to buy any more lots off of craigslist where the majority of the pins are new.

Now, I will say that I have sold quite a few pins for less than I paid, but basically if I buy something and can't trade it after a while, I would rather sell it for a loss and have the money, than have it taking up room when I obviously can't trade it for something I view as being worthwhile.

You also have to factor in the people that get vacationitis and spend too much and then get home, only to realize they have to pay for that vacation and start listing stuff to help offset the costs. I say, "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is"

Let's use this one for the "For Instance"
Pin 78609: Stitch Adventure - Collectors Set

This is an LE300 that retails at the parks for $89.95. I know this as I saw in in October when I was there as I debated getting it. There are auctions for that set, which shows an actual picture of it in it's box, for $64! If it was just pins, no package, I could see that being a fake, but we are talking with the proper cards/packages/boxes. I did not think we had heard of counterfeit cards/packages/boxes yet

Had the bid closed at $64 and if not, how much longer was the bidding open? It's common practice to put the starting price below what you want for you items - especially if you're sure you'll get at least what you expect. It may be a risk but it also llowers the treshold to make a first bid and once you open that can of worms you may get caught in a bidding frenzy. I know, because it has happened to... a friend...

If the bid hadn't closed was there a reserve that had not been reached?

Maybe it was a gift which he/she decided to part with and didn't need to get the whole money's worth for. And if there is one item going cheap, at least some other sellers will also put in lower starting prices.

I must be getting sick, I'm actually defending somebody instead of thinking something ominous which usually is my first reaction to everything...

Had the bid closed at $64 and if not, how much longer was the bidding open? It's common practice to put the starting price below what you want for you items - especially if you're sure you'll get at least what you expect. It may be a risk but it also llowers the treshold to make a first bid and once you open that can of worms you may get caught in a bidding frenzy. I know, because it has happened to... a friend...

If the bid hadn't closed was there a reserve that had not been reached?

Maybe it was a gift which he/she decided to part with and didn't need to get the whole money's worth for. And if there is one item going cheap, at least some other sellers will also put in lower starting prices.

I must be getting sick, I'm actually defending somebody instead of thinking something ominous which usually is my first reaction to everything...

This is a SALE listing at $64, not an auction, even though it is on an auction site. It just has a Buy It Now price, no auction price. It is the same person selling the Snow White Pins for $17.99

So the original question is that there is a pin being sold for two dollars less online? Cast Members receive a normal 10% discount regardless and the Holiday 40% is good till mid-February. It get things going but they're not really making money unless they're fake.

Last edited:
Two things,
first my wife and I spent half of one day at the tables at epcot. we are not resellers just traders with a large trade collection.
we did mostly trade but some people offered to buy pins to trade with us. I would prefer not to do this but it did happen and I am overall ok with it.
so not all the people at the tables are Sharks circling, use common sense, if they have a sign saying any 4 from this book for a set from the store you have a good idea they are reselling.

second. in our half day there we saw 5 different traders/ groups of traders.
one was just like us trading and having fun.
one was trading heavy for the new key pins to have as trade sets for deals he had already made online.
one group was trading heavy for the snow white framed film cell pins (got 4 or 5 i think) but would not say what they had in mind for them.
one was very very rude and had a big bag of all fake HM pins, trying to trade for new bought stuff from the store.
one was another vacationing dad and son who were just trying to finish some open sets and some vinylmations.

I can see all or any of the pins from the tables there ending up online for sale. You never know what people have in mind to exploit a hobby.
I see many ways good bad or indifferent on how pins end up online for sale. I have traded my leather work to a Cm for items they bought with the 40 % discount and we were both very happy. it was less than my normal price for items, they paid even less for the items they traded. thats barter and it works

I actually agree with what Walrus had to say. We spent two days at Epcot trading recently and I never asked anyone to buy me anything. I did, however, have people approach me and ask if they could buy a new pin inside to trade with me. I guess, even though people had warned me, that I really didn't understand that it could be normal practice. In the end, I only ended up with 2 new pins bought from inside ($8.95 pins), but they had already bought the pins and then came to me and offered it to me in trade, so I guess it's not really the same (I didn't say, "hey go buy me that pin") I actually turned around and traded one of the pins to the guys behind me because I knew they liked Stitch (Simbanino was that you??) and the other one, something Star Wars, is sitting on pinpics.

My experience in those two days was that everyone was there trading for fun, but I know on another trip, we personally encountered the sharks and I was shocked at how they treated my kids.

I will tell you that both days as I was packing up, we had CM's come out and tell us how much they enjoyed having us out there and supporting the hobby and being so easy to trade with. I'm sure if they witness the sharking enough, they are happy to have people out there doing it for fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back