• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Question re: DFDC Belle/Beast Display Sample

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question re: DFDC Belle/Beast Display Sample

inabena

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently thought I scored a pretty good deal on DFDC Belle/Beast for $255 plus shipping but upon receiving, I noticed the doll was actually a display sample and does not come with CoA. I had intended on returning the doll but the seller has offered a partial refund of $150 - do you think that's a good deal or how much would you pay for a display sample? The slip cover color is fading slightly, the back cardboard is a little worn and Belle has a slit in her eyebrow but in general it looks to be in an acceptable condition. Any insights is appreciated since I have never had to deal with partial refunds before. Thanks.

RtnDownloadFile

I'd say that's an amazing deal. I don't mind display samples but I know many collectors do and I know a refund would be ideal. The set for $105 these days seems like a really good deal.

I think its a great deal if the doll is in great condition. I do care much about the condition of the doll rather than the COA.

I'd absolutely keep it at that price and not to have to go through the hassle of the return. If I saw one on Ebay listed w/o COA at that price I'd snap it up. It sounds like the seller is giving you a good deal to make things right. If you decide you don't like the doll, you can always find someone who will buy it from you even with full disclosure of missing COA. You'd likely even be able to make a little bit of a profit to use towards towards purchasing one with a COA.

I think if you're okay with the condition of the doll it's definitely worth keeping. The CoA I agree is nice to look at & know what exact number you have, but honestly after the one time you look at it you'll really never need it ever again anyways... So I think for that price the display sounds fabulous.

Thank you all SO MUCH for your insights! I personally love the dolls without the CoA and sometimes wishes the lower editions weren't "limited editions" so I can have them without paying astronomical prices!lol So I will be keeping the doll with the partial refund. :)

One more question, do any of you guys repaint your dolls or have done something similar in the past that you'd be able to tell me how to fix Belle's eyebrow? She looks.. gangster/hood/hip-hop with that slit.lol

I'm glad you're keeping her! You really got a great deal! I bought a Designer Jasmine display sample for $80 a few years ago. While the sticker on the front is a bit of an eyesore, she's still absolutely gorgeous! <3

Sooooo jealous, I've been wanting that set for ages but it's a bit out of my price range! It's definitely a great deal and to be honest, so long as it's it mint the COA is no ig deal, especially for the price!

As for the repainting, you can remove factory paint with pure acetone (aka the active chemical in nail polish remover). I'd recommend being VERY cautious if you on'y want to take the eyebrow off, use Q-tips. If it's not too too bad you could just take a watercolor pencil or a thin brush with acrylic and try to fix it by painting over. For a bit that small you probably don't need to set it, but if you wanna do the whole face I'd get a matte varnish and a glossy one for the pupils.

Sooooo jealous, I've been wanting that set for ages but it's a bit out of my price range! It's definitely a great deal and to be honest, so long as it's it mint the COA is no ig deal, especially for the price!

As for the repainting, you can remove factory paint with pure acetone (aka the active chemical in nail polish remover). I'd recommend being VERY cautious if you on'y want to take the eyebrow off, use Q-tips. If it's not too too bad you could just take a watercolor pencil or a thin brush with acrylic and try to fix it by painting over. For a bit that small you probably don't need to set it, but if you wanna do the whole face I'd get a matte varnish and a glossy one for the pupils.

Thank you! I had actually given up on owning her a while ago so it's true when they say you never know when a good deal will come along!

Would you suggest removing the eyebrow or just paint over it? I'll admit I'm really not the most artistic person so I'd be scared to repaint the entire eyebrow so I thought I'd just fill in where the slit is - problem is I've never painted or repainted a doll before so I don't even know what to use. It does seem acrylic paint is the most common? How would I color match?

If you've never done a repaint, I'd recommend going to a second hand shop and picking up a doll or two for practice even if you just fill in the missing piece. That way you can also test the consistency of the paint and how it'll look dried. It would be hard to color match exactly, so I personally would redo the whole eyebrow, but I have some experience with repainting. Color matching is going to be trial and error for you if you just want to fill in the slit. I'd say see how the practice doll goes for you and then decide on what you feel comfortable doing. Also, you can search face ups on Youtube and Google for a ton of great tips if you like researching.

If you use acetone be sure to wipe away well afterwards and don't use acetone with additives (such as nail strengtheners). Pure acetone is pretty easy to find. Acrylic paint is commonly used because oil paints do not do well with vinyl/plastics over time and will likely ruin the doll in the long term, so be sure to only use water base paints/pencils.

If you've never done a repaint, I'd recommend going to a second hand shop and picking up a doll or two for practice even if you just fill in the missing piece. That way you can also test the consistency of the paint and how it'll look dried. It would be hard to color match exactly, so I personally would redo the whole eyebrow, but I have some experience with repainting. Color matching is going to be trial and error for you if you just want to fill in the slit. I'd say see how the practice doll goes for you and then decide on what you feel comfortable doing. Also, you can search face ups on Youtube and Google for a ton of great tips if you like researching.

If you use acetone be sure to wipe away well afterwards and don't use acetone with additives (such as nail strengtheners). Pure acetone is pretty easy to find. Acrylic paint is commonly used because oil paints do not do well with vinyl/plastics over time and will likely ruin the doll in the long term, so be sure to only use water base paints/pencils.

Thank you so much for all this information! I'll practice on some dolls first for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back