• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Selling pins, How on earth do you value them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhysd2

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hello all

No worries I'm not giving up! I'm just considering slimming down. I don't have a large collection but I feel like I'm collecting too many.

Currently I collect: pin trading pins, tower of terror, space mountain, indiana jones, star wars, star tours, the muppets, hotels that we've stayed at pins, studios pins, plus the odd special pin I see that I like.

I also help my wife collect: finding nemo, cars, nightmare before xmas, the odd eeyore pin, retro looking ones, and the odd nice pin she sees.

Now my wife doesn't collect as seriously as me so no need to slim her collection down. Plus its fun getting her ones she likes :) However I feel like I'm being overwhelmed with my collection. I slimmed down once before(stopped collecting haunted mansion, and pirates of the Caribbean) because there was just too many to ever collect. I'm now feeling similar as I go along to trading days and see a million pins I want because I collect several subjects.

Sooooo to cut what's already a long story as short as possible I'm considering slimming my collection down to just the following: tower of terror, Indiana Jones, star wars, and the muppets (may keep the pin trading ones also). I realise that's still a large subject set but those are my key favourites.

Normally I'd just go into pinpics and list all the ones I don't want as trades, but with my new found love of vinylmation I was wondering how one would go about selling pins. I don't suspect any pins I have are especially valuable but if I can raise a bit towards a box of vinyls then it maybe worth doing.

So how on earth do you go about valuing pins if you choose to sell them?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Rhys

I'm anxious to see what answers you get. I too need to "slim down" my collection and just can't seem to value the pins I want to sell. Good luck and I'll keep checking to see how it goes.

youch that sounds like a great deal of work hehe searching through to see what they go for but ok thanks will do some checking tonight.

pins Pins PIns PINs PINS

:wavey:Here's how I determine the "value" of Disney pins. Find the pin on pinpics.com first. Consider all of the information provided on pinpics.com for the pin: Limited Edition?; Original Price; Release Date; and the number of Members Trading and Wanting. Then go to eBay.com and see if the pin is being auctioned. Check to see if there are multiple Sellers offering the pin. If it has a Buy It Now price, consider that, if it's being auctioned, watch the bidding action...

AND it is very important to check at DisneyStore.com to see if the pin(s) is/are available for purchase there. I have found pins at the DisneyStore.com that I have purchased and gone to eBay.com and the exact same pins are being offered for 2X, 3X, or more - when collectors can buy them for the Original Price right from DisneyStore.com...:sad:

I have found that the eBay.com prices vary as time goes on... It's nice to use this method when you are collecting a pin series. Sometimes you can find great deals, I have purchased pins that are being sold on eBay for less than their original price. Then, I have purchased pins and paid tooooo much for them. For a series, I consider the average purchase price of the pins.

:p I keep a ppt file with snapshots from pinpics.com and my purchases (with price and shipping costs) from eBay (or wherever I buy them from). I always like FREE shipping! This is very useful when collecting a pin series. You can easily keep track of what you have and what you need.

Hope this helps...

Always remember, pins are just like money. Whether or not people in denial want to admit it and call people sharks and whatnot- pins are like money. But since it's not like actual money with a set value, you'd probably NEED to consider your own personal value of the pin and Ebay.

Just read the above post, he explains it perfectly. :p

I've had the same question about valuing pins. I think in most cases, I think you can start at retail. Then look at Pinpics wants/trades. If a lot of people have it as a trader, or few people want it, you might have to lower the price. If there are not a lot of people trading, or a lot more people wanting than trading, then you may be able to come up on price. Check Ebay on the ones that you have questions about. Also, look at the prices people are selling things on the sale board. And lastly, what price can you live with.

thanks guys. Sounds like it might be alot of work to price up the ones I do want to slim down. The pin trading set especially!

It really depends on what you want to get from your pins but you could always offer it as a grab bag . . . offer a set price for like 3 or 5 pins and then people get what they get - people like surprises.

OK I just went looking on ebay, seems like a lot of them haven't been sold recently. I'll list out what I'm considering slimming so you all can have a look. I'll sort them into what I think is probably the less valuable and more valuable. if someone can cast an eye over it that'd be appreciated. I'm sure I'll miss some pasting them in but you get the idea lol

Less valuable maybe $3-5?

Pin 33872: DLRP - Newport Bay Club Logo (New)
Pin 74969: DLR - Promotion - Disney Pin Trading 10th Anniversary - Pluto
Pin 74970: DLR - Promotion - Disney Pin Trading 10th Anniversary - Jiminy Cricket
Pin 74971: DLR - Promotion - Disney Pin Trading 10th Anniversary - Clarabelle Cow
Pin 74973: DLR - Promotion - Disney Pin Trading 10th Anniversary - Dale
Pin 74976: DLR - Promotion - Disney Pin Trading 10th Anniversary - Cheshire Cat
Pin 74977: DLR - Promotion - Disney Pin Trading 10th Anniversary - Mickey Mouse
Pin 75150: WDW - 2010 Hidden Mickey Series - Pin Trading Phrases - This Is Not A Pin!
Pin 75153: WDW - 2010 Hidden Mickey Series - Pin Trading Phrases - Happy Trading!
Pin 75154: WDW - 2010 Hidden Mickey Series - Pin Trading Phrases - Wanna Trade?
Pin 73011: WDW - WDW 10th Pin Trading Anniversary Promotion - Stitch
Pin 73012: WDW - WDW 10th Pin Trading Anniversary Promotion - Pluto
Pin 73013: WDW - WDW 10th Pin Trading Anniversary Promotion - Figment
Pin 73016: WDW - WDW 10th Pin Trading Anniversary Promotion - Chip
Pin 73019: WDW - WDW 10th Pin Trading Anniversary Promotion - Goofy
Pin 73020: WDW - WDW 10th Pin Trading Anniversary Promotion - Tinker Bell
Pin 73023: WDW 10th pin trading anniversary promotion - Daisy Duck
Pin 48643: WDW - Pin Trading Logo Collection (Disney's Animal Kingdom) Promotion
Pin 48644: WDW - Pin Trading Logo Collection (Magic Kingdom) Promotion
Pin 48645: WDW - Pin Trading Logo Collection (Epcot) Promotion
Pin 48647: DCL - Hidden Mickey Pin - Pin Trading Logo Collection (Disney Cruise Line) Promotion
Pin 48650: WOD NYC - Pin Trading Logo Collection (World of Disney 5th Ave.) Promotion
Pin 40630: WDW - Cast Lanyard Series 3 - Logo Collection (Magic Kingdom/Mickey)
Pin 42035: WDW - Cast Lanyard Collection 4 – Disney’s FastPass (Space Mountain)
Pin 56887: WDW - Hidden Mickey 2007 Series 2 - Blue Pin Trading Logo
Pin 57440: WDW - Pin Trading Around the World Logo Promotion (Disney Resorts)
Pin 57637: WDW - Hidden Mickey 2007 Series 2 - Green Pin Trading Logo
Pin 57638: WDW - Hidden Mickey 2007 Series 2 - Red Pin Trading Logo
Pin 48995: Buried Treasure Pin Trading Pin

Medium Value upto $10-15 perhaps?

Pin 7363: DLRP - Hotel New York (Mickey)
Pin 7365: DLRP - Hotel Ranch Davy Crockett - Logo
Pin 72226: Disney Pin Trading 10th Anniversary - Logo Pin
Pin 72227: Disney Pin Trading 10th Anniversary - Ear Hat
Pin 36741: DLR - 5 Years of Pin Trading Collection - Disneyland (Tinker Bell)
Pin 39019: WDW Cast Lanyard Series - Logo Collection (World of Disney/Mickey)
Pin 55300: DLRP - Through the Years Series (1995 - Space Mountain - Mickey)
Pin 60038: WDI - Virtual Magic Kingdom - Space Mountain - Ride
Pin 60682: WDW - Theme Park Icons (Disney's Hollywood Studios)
Pin 60688: WDW - Disney's Hollywood Studios Logo
Pin 60727: DLRP - Space Mountain Mission 2 - 2008 Logo
Pin 62717: WDW - Hidden Mickey Completer Pin - Dark Orange Pin Trading Logo
Pin 73037: DLRP - Donald at Space Mountain 2
Pin 77197: WDW - 2010 Hidden Mickey Completer Pin - Pin Trading Phrases - I Only Need One More! (PWP)

More valuable no clue on these

Pin 121: WDW - Official Pin Trading Pin ( WDW PTP )
Pin 288: Space Mountain FedEx Lounge
Pin 4386: Disney-MGM Studios Mickey Mouse with Lion
Pin 30151: DLRP - Needmag?c CM
Pin 35578: WDW - Cast Member Exclusive - Pin Trading Traditions (Mickey)
Pin 39518: WDI - Cast Exclusive - Hong Kong Disneyland - Grand Opening
Pin 44582: WDI - HKDL - Imagineer Class of 2005 - Name Badge

Last edited:
phew there we go. Whether that assessment of the pins is right or not... well advice greatly appreciated!

OK I just shifted some around based on pinpics info and ebay and put a rough pricing next to each. If someone could be so good as to see if I'm close or completely off base I'd really appreciate it. thanks guys

anyone? please? really not sure how to put prices on these. also looking to sell this set

Pin 29842: DCA Tower of Terror - Elegant Stay Boxed Pin Set

I can comment on one of the pins you've listed under "More Valuable", because I own it and am selling it, although my reasons behind the price may not be helpful to you.

Pin 30151: DLRP - Needmag?c CM. I priced it at $7.00 on my public site, and for DPF members, I priced it at $6.00.

The trade/want ratio on Pin Pics is 33/13, and the LE is 2000, so the pin isn't particularly valuable, but I paid $5.00 for it, so I'm trying not to sell at a loss after paying the PayPal fee. I charge a higher price on my public site because I don't know the buyers the same way I know people on DPF.

It might go higher on eBay in an auction, but I don't know, because I rarely list pins for sale on eBay.

Hey there,

I rarely find that I make back what I have paid for pins originally, most people look for a bargin and I have found even selling under the value it has been hard to sell many pins, even LE ones.

Also you have the price of pins in $, make sure you remember that you will loose money if you accept payment in $ and price this way as I see you live in England and paypal will charge you to convert the currency.

I find it often also depends how much you need the money and what price you can bare to part with the pin at lol :)

thanks guys for the tip. I figured I'd list in $ because we have more folks on the site in the USA it seems. I think I'll just stick them on the forum later in rough sets and see what attention I get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back