• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

So what do you think of the Sci Fi Academy pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what do you think of the Sci Fi Academy pins?
Just curious, I've never been to one of these, how does it work regarding buying the pins? They mention you can pick up 'merchandise' on Thurs, is that for the pins offered forsale? Or just the T-shirt and pin that comes with buying a ticket?

Limited one of each per person, or does it depend on the amount available?

Just not 100% sure what to expect...

Yeah, I got the email today that I qualify for the LE early registration pin. :)

Has anyone been to an event that had silent auctions? What kind of items do they auction?

Will they display the auction items on Thursday, June 23rd?

EDIT: Got a separate email confirming my eligibility.Did you get a separate email saying you got the early registration pin or did it say so in your registration confirmation? I haven't received anything saying I qualified for it yet, but I'd be surprised if they already have 400 people registered at this point.

To answer your auction question, they usually do lots. It can be artists proofs of a pin set, mystery bags, and lately they have always had a few Vinylmation sets. Each items tends to go for several hundred dollars although last year they didn't do a final call and several items went for below retail price.

Last edited:
More Expensive Without Cause

Wait, this is more expensive than previous events? I have to admit, as someone new to this hobby, the idea of paying $70 to, in effect, go shopping and give Disney even more money seems kind of off. I mean, sure... There'll be boards and pin trading games (hopefully), but paying for what's largely just the right to then pay more money seems kind of nuts. Especially since I look at some of the Love Is Magical reports and can't help but notice that leftover product was immediately sold to non-attendees via Epcot immediately after. o_O

I completely agree with you, Gloomy! Paying for the privilege to spend more money seems a little redundant, and like a huge disservice to pin traders in this economy. The price-point for single POM and LEs have noticeably gone up this year. For some pins, like the Pieces of Disney Movies series, the rise in pricing makes sense. Then there are the 40th Anniversary Classic Disney "D" stained glass pins, which are apart of a large LE 1000 series but still have an elevated price-point of 15.95.

The Mechanical Kingdom-inspired sculpted metal pins for Sci-Fi Academy seem small and simplistic compared to the Mechanical Kingdom set from last year, which included spinning, dangling, and pin-on-pin elements. The Mechanical pins from last year were not nearly as expensive and could be bought separately from the box set. (e.g. [pin]76793[/pin])

~Gargress

Well, these pictures were taken about a month ago at the PTN at WDW, so I am a little late, but here are some of the upcoming pins (sci-fi and otherwise) they had up on the product developer boards:

Pins019.jpg

Pins017.jpg

Pins016.jpg

Pins012.jpg

Pins018.jpg

Sweet pictures. Does anyone know if the Mystery boxes are going to have chases like the Alice cards did?

I think the description on the .pdf of all the pins says there is going to be one level of chasers for the mystery set. I hope they are the old school black with green font. That would be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back