• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you say you would never buy scrappers
I don't know if I may have mentioned this, but here goes . We have a small co op in our area . Little shops in one building, baseball cards, 2nd time around shops, antiques, etc . Before the pin event last year at WDW, I was there and came across a few Disney Shopping pins . I thought, Great, Traders for the event . Now this is in Allentown, PA , shops that buy from collectors and go to yard sales . Who'd have thought ! As I was showing them in an attempt to trade , the guy whispered something to his wife and we did not make a trade . As I saw him throughout the day, we eventually were at the same table and I asked what he had whispered to his wife . He showed me his same Disney Shopping pins and pointed out the discrepancies . I was glad I asked, I went over to the trash and heaved them . You don't know sometimes !
Watermelon cookies would be to watery if you used real watermelon . May be a flavoring . :lol:

How do you know YOU did not have the real pins? Also, there are many differences in pins that are REAL. I have proved this time and time again. YES! I SAID PROVED THIS!

We took 12 pins off the rack and layed them out on the counter of a particular pin and there were differences in a few of them. Sometimes the pigment changes in a die and a color may be different.

I dont know if I would have heaved them so quickly, especially if they were DS or DA pins. Next time at the park, pick a pin, grab all that are on the rack (try for at least 10 and up) lay them out on the counter and I will bet you one will stand out as different looking in some way.

From the #1 pin to the umteen thousand they make, there will be slight and sometimes great differences.

And someone mentioned all scrappers are thinner, I dont believe so. It is a telltale sign but many scrappers are the authentic pins that did not pass inspection. Counterfeits are typically thinner but many fakes in general have the same thickness.

Too bad you threw them away. Wonder if the guy who told you got them out of the trash?????

Last edited:
But what I really found interesting is how many names I know from the forum that have not purchased once, but many times. You know who you are. And many of these people are advocates for stopping scrappers. A double standard? Protecting their image?

I haven't finished the whole thread yet, so not sure this is mentioned... I know someone from the Dizpins board/days uses LuvSimba as an ebay ID. It's NOT me. I had my Dizpins board ID way before they created their ebay ID. I only know this as someone emailed me one day and said congrats on winning a pin they were after. I was stumped, as I didn't collect the character they were talking about. Come to find out, someone from Dizpins created and uses "my" Pin ID on ebay. So, please, before jumping to conclusions, find out who really is who with auction IDs.

I hate scrappers/fakes, ect probably more than anyone. I always buy my pins from Disney. Weather the parks, Disney's outlets, cast sales, ect. I'm a huge avdocate of this. Just wish I had more time for the boards. But I'm still trading as much as always. I can also back up some of what Dan says about locals buying scrappers to trade them at the parks. I've been at this 11 years, so I know who's who at WDW and I see them with their baggies of pins. Baggies filled with known scrappers/fakes, just trading them as fast as they can go. Funny, as sometimes I know they get another scrapper. I smile.....

Last edited:
OK, so we have Crazy Uncle Grim and now apparently we have Father Dan (taking confessions no less). Any other family positions been officially cast?

Apparently Tronaholic and I have to stop at Grim's house on our way to Lowes to pick up some church pews for the confessional... This might go from a confessional to a cathedral... How many pews you got anyhow, Grim? (insert innocuous pew-pew-pew!!! joke here) :p

OK, so we have Crazy Uncle Grim and now apparently we have Father Dan (taking confessions no less). Any other family positions been officially cast?

Erudolf = the prodigal... Daughter... melonballer = the family chef, Hope = Mom, Tronaholic = the daughter of the family that is embarrassed by the rest... That would make Jessta "The Man" (in a very 1969 anti-government sense of The Man)! Whaddayathink?!?!? Huh? Huh?! :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Last edited:
How do you know YOU did not have the real pins? Also, there are many differences in pins that are REAL. I have proved this time and time again. YES! I SAID PROVED THIS!

We took 12 pins off the rack and layed them out on the counter of a particular pin and there were differences in a few of them. Sometimes the pigment changes in a die and a color may be different.

I dont know if I would have heaved them so quickly, especially if they were DS or DA pins. Next time at the park, pick a pin, grab all that are on the rack (try for at least 10 and up) lay them out on the counter and I will bet you one will stand out as different looking in some way.

From the #1 pin to the umteen thousand they make, there will be slight and sometimes great differences.

And someone mentioned all scrappers are thinner, I dont believe so. It is a telltale sign but many scrappers are the authentic pins that did not pass inspection. Counterfeits are typically thinner but many fakes in general have the same thickness.

Too bad you threw them away. Wonder if the guy who told you got them out of the trash?????

On a more serious note, I agree here. I have done the same thing. One of Jessica's favorite pins is this rack pin of Ariel sitting in a sort of a half moon hoop with flounder. She keeps trading it and then buying it straight out of a Disney in-park pin store after trader's regret sets in, so we see a lot of them. I can't tell you how many we see that are different somehow. I have gotten more than one with the "brush stroke" pattern in the enamel, one where flounder looks possessed due to his eyes not filled right, seen one with "dips"; I could go on and on.

The point is, there are variations in real pins, and we have seen this first hand. Not to sound facetious, presumptuous, or egotistical in any way, but in these types of situations/discussions it is helpful from the writer's perspective to be at the park so much to see these differences to defend them/discuss them accurately. I have to say, being there also has made telling the difference between a scrapper or fake and the real deal sort of instinctual. It can be so hard to put it into words, but I (and others, including a few DPF members) can tell you at a glance from six feet if a pin is real or not, and (knock on wood) I have only made one mistake so far, and Jessica is 10 times better at it than I am. It just comes with the familiarity I guess. Once people find out, they ask me and Jess to pore over their collections to point out the duds. I have one guy ready to mail me his whole intimidating collection to us so we can check because it is such a big deal.

And one thing Jessica likes to do is to give someone in the park that just found out only half their collection is real a really good REAL pin for free so that they can haul it around with them to compare other pins to. So far, no complaints.

Point being, don't ever let someone convince you one way or another without presenting you with legitimate, informed facts. It would be a shame to toss an entire collection just by the words of one person that might not know his you-know-what from his you-know-where.

Hmmm..... After that little speech, I think I might just be a deacon in this First Church of Pin Authentication we are building... I'm starting to sound like Ned Flanders...

Last edited:
Erudolf = the prodigal son, melonballer = the family chef, Hope = Mom, Tronaholic = the oldest son that is embarrassed by his family... That would make Jessta "The Man"! Whaddayathink?!?!? Huh? Huh?! :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

haha.. not only am I not a boy, I'm also the baby in the family.. for the rest.. there might be one older sibling that I have that might qualify.. only because this older sibling thinks they are the center of the universe.. if you know what I mean.. and what about yourself.. Geoff = da dawg.. I mean that in an endearing way..

haha.. not only am I not a boy, I'm also the baby in the family.. for the rest.. there might be one older sibling that I have that might qualify.. only because this older sibling thinks they are the center of the universe.. if you know what I mean.. and what about yourself.. Geoff = da dawg.. I mean that in an endearing way..

Glad to see I'm not the only one that had a gender change and didn't get the memo! Perhaps we should trade titles! :)

..well it's 6:33pm on "Rapture Day" and I'm still here..so if anyone is still out there on DPF..could you please sum this thread up for me in 2 sentences or less??

I can do it in one sentence and a video.

[video=youtube;-IrUl_-FtLk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IrUl_-FtLk[/video]

I can do it in one sentence and a video.

[video=youtube;-IrUl_-FtLk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IrUl_-FtLk[/video]

BWAAAA HAAAAA HAAAAAA - YOU DID IT - HAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA

I am impressed.. ..and I like your sentence too.. I think I need to have one of your watermelon cookies.. :)

Last edited:
..well it's 6:33pm on "Rapture Day" and I'm still here..so if anyone is still out there on DPF..could you please sum this thread up for me in 2 sentences or less??

Sum ppl on DPF and other pin sites, Say they hate Scrappers or that they are bad. Than they buy a ebay lot, so they can go to the parks and trade them away.

Last edited:
Sum ppl on DPF and other pin sites, Say they hate Scrappers or that they are bad. Than they buy a ebay lot, so they can go to the parks and trade them away. ITs Called 2 face i think.

[video=youtube;1ytCEuuW2_A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A[/video]

Sorry, but that is 3 sentences.

Sum ppl on DPF and other pin sites, Say they hate Scrappers or that they are bad. Than they buy a ebay lot, so they can go to the parks and trade them away. ITs Called 2 face i think.

Is that all I had to say?
Dang, I have to learn to use less words.
Next time, I will have you edit my post.........

use a website called goofbay everyones details can be found via it, you can see what a seller has sold and for how much even if the profile is "private" you can see what people have won and how much they paid. Give it a go it makes for interesting reading!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back