• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Suprise LE doll release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suprise LE doll release?

djjen416

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very new at collecting the LE dolls-I see that some of them were surprise released by Disney. Was just wondering how you find out about these? Did they post it on their blog that day or on their facebook page or did people just have to randomly search the site to see them? If you search do you just put in "limited edition" or look in the new section? I know with the regular announce releases they didn't show up in the new section for awhile and limited edition searching didn't work at first so whats the quickest/best way to check for these releases?

The days of surprise releases are over.

In the past, they literally appeared "magically". Alice and QoH showed up on the site the day of release with no announcement or fanfare. Gothel came out the day Rapunzel was released on Bluray. Chances were if you went to pick up the Rapunzel doll you preordered, you saw her then.

Now the "suprise" releases get some kind of announcement.

And before the announcement, they were leaked, like someone in France would get a picture of Calhoun and it would go viral, same with Tremaine. Post-Frozen, there are no more secrets, but Disney's gotten a lot better at keeping the dolls under wraps until THEY'RE ready to leak them.

If you are talking about the Frozen doll release this week, that was posted on the Disney blog back in February here. I also saw it on the DisneyStore facebook page. I'm sure it was announced on other social sites.

No, I knew about that I got those but I was talking about like how it says alice in wonderland was a surprise release and some of the other dolls were released unannouced. Was just wondering how to be on the lookout for a repeat like that or how people found out about those? Was it in Disney's blog or on their facebook page at all or was it just they put it onto the website and if you were lucky enough to have looked on it that morning you saw it in the new arrivals or something?

Alice came out WAY before these dolls were a hit, so she lasted a lot longer than you'd expect. I know she's extremely coveted now, but at the time there was concern that she looked nothing like Alice, so it took a while for her to reach grail status. And don't even get me started on QoH, lol.

Alice is pretty and all, but there's nothing really Alice-in-Wonderland about her aside from the teacup accessory. They both look like Barbies inspired by Wonderland to me. But they're LE 500, so...

I wouldn't worry about this type of release ever happenening again. There's too much hype around them. The wedding Cinderella is the closest thing to a repeat, and look how promoted she's been.

okay, thank you. Just had started thinking about if it's something I should be checking or not. I've seen the rumors about a surprise hans or frozen fever coming. Also wondering if prince charming is going to be popping up soon and I don't want to miss out.

Alice came out WAY before these dolls were a hit, so she lasted a lot longer than you'd expect. I know she's extremely coveted now, but at the time there was concern that she looked nothing like Alice, so it took a while for her to reach grail status. And don't even get me started on QoH, lol.

Alice is pretty and all, but there's nothing really Alice-in-Wonderland about her aside from the teacup accessory. They both look like Barbies inspired by Wonderland to me. But they're LE 500, so...

I wouldn't worry about this type of release ever happenening again. There's too much hype around them. The wedding Cinderella is the closest thing to a repeat, and look how promoted she's been.

Your literally the first person I have seen say that about Alice, I always thought she looked like Barbie in a wonderland themed dress, never got why she was a Grail apart from the edition size. I'm glad I never liked her as I wouldnt be able to afford her lol. Qoh is even worse imo.

Most collectors are connected on FB, Tumblr, here, etc so chances are you'll know when a doll is coming out :)

I think this place is actually enough if you don't have any personal connections. Some of us have been collecting long enough that we have a man on the inside sharing info... but we know better than to share any of that info online until it leaks from other sources.

If / when a Hans doll is released, you'll know about it ahead of time. Don't follow rumors and don't feed into the hype. I'll never understand what people get out of internet attention as far as creating rumors and leaking information goes. Don't you WANT to keep it from spreading to sharks? We need to come together as a community and stop creating this fervor that attracts scalpers. Like, keep it cool, people. They're just dolls.

Your literally the first person I have seen say that about Alice, I always thought she looked like Barbie in a wonderland themed dress, never got why she was a Grail apart from the edition size. I'm glad I never liked her as I wouldnt be able to afford her lol. Qoh is even worse imo.

For real? I don't know where I was trolling, but I remember hearing her called that a lot. Did I make that up? I even remember someone comparing her to this 2007 Barbie:

http://www.barbiecollector.com/shop/doll/alice-wonderland-barbie-doll-l5849

I didn't even want her when she was still in the $200 range. And I HATE QoH. Now THERE'S a Barbie in a Wonderland dress. It took this collection a while to grow on me. If I had seen Gothel in stores, I would've been butter, but I missed her and fell in love because of Tremaine. Snow White was pretty, but something felt a LITTLE Barbie-ish to me. I love her now, however.

Whoa, enough rambling!!

I do not really like Alice. I think the lace on the dress looks cheap. I hope one day we'll get a real Alice.

Alice is pretty, but I think people go crazy over her more because she is so hard to find than because she is such a gorgeous doll. Of course, I've only seen her in photos so maybe my opinion would change if I saw the doll in person. But I am not wowed like I am when I see photos of Snow White or Tiana (two of my grails!). While I would like Alice at a reasonable price, I am not really that bothered if I never get her. I care about the QOH even less.

Last edited:
The only way I would buy Alice is if I randomly became rich or found her for a couple hundred dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back