• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Trade Assistant (my personal pet peeve)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade Assistant (my personal pet peeve)
I would like to see the TA adapted in the future to send out requests this way.

Example
Person A will trade group 1 pins for any of LE 100s , group 2 for any of hidden mickeys, etc.
Person B can then look and realize that even though he has 100 hid mickeys Person A wants, they don't match up to any of the LE 100s in group 1. So no offers will go out for that, but they will go out for group 2 matches.

This could eliminate quite a bit of the lopsidedness and might bring a better response in emails.

Someone asked about what pins were offered.
Remember, this person had a pin and probably looked at what they can get for this pin.
So they knew what they had and what they were asking to trade for. Even if they did not do it that way, regardless, they knew in advance because they had to make choices for what pins they would like to have for their pin. This is not me asking them, they have asked me.

It was also not a lobsided trade (typically when someone sends you the trade request it will if anything be in their favor hoping you may do the trade) I have had many people send request and I accept and the trade goes fine. Again, they had a pin, saw a pin I had they wanted and asked if I would trade for it. How can you say no at that point? (I guess you can evidently)

Both Pins were recent LE1000 pins and I believe still available. It would not be very different than if I had my book out at the trading tables, a person comes along, says to be, hello, I have this pin, will you give me that pin for it? Then I say Yes. Then They say No?

I know it happens a lot it's just a personal pet peeve. I just dont get it. I can see if I sent the request to them how it would be different but they have made the decision in advance that if they can give me their pin for my pin they want to do it. ???????

Both Pins were recent LE1000 pins and I believe still available. It would not be very different than if I had my book out at the trading tables, a person comes along, says to be, hello, I have this pin, will you give me that pin for it? Then I say Yes. Then They say No?

I think those circumstances are very different. Face to face you can do the trade instantly. Online, maybe the person had a change of heart after they slept on it. Have you ever done a trade in person and then regretted it the next day? I sure have. Sometimes you get caught up in the moment and then feel different once your head is more clear. Or maybe they are still negotiating with someone else. And it also depends on how long you gave the other person to respond too. I've responded to requests before and not gotten a response back in a week or more. Sometimes people get unexpectedly busy and can't deal with pins. And by the time they do get a chance to respond back maybe they figure you are no longer interested. Who knows?

But the question at hand is the responses. Yes, they should let you know what is going on if they can. But I don't think they are obligated to adhere to whatever the TA says.

OK, thats cool but again, they sent me the request, I replied I accept, of they have a change of heart, cant they at least respond back and say anything like, oh sorry, we just traded it accidently. I would accept that. Or even straight up. After we thought about it we decided not to trade.

Or even, sorry, nevermind?

I know this is a bit off topic. The new feature on pinpics where you can match trades directly with a person helps me if I want to do some kind of multi-trade. I think there is the comment line when you can say "my pin for any "X" pins of yours". One can do this with as many people as have or want the pin in question, and then the comment is just for them. Others can have their feelings and ideas, but I still don't like to be blindsided when I accept what I think is a fair offer PIN for PIN, and get a "no thank you back" from the offerer. That is just MY feeling.

I have to agree with all that is being said here. Common courtesy, which is something sorely lacking in this day and age, is very important. Pin trading is about the love of pins, collecting something we enjoy looking at and is very important to a lot of different folks!

I tend to agree that the first response is not needed, if they would prefer not to trade, when I have sent a request, but if I am responding to theirs, I feel it would be most kind, considerate and even charitable, if the person would respond either way to the agreement to trade.

What I do not like, is someone having the audacity to TA me and then when I respond yes, tell me that they would prefer a different pin, that was not even part of the agreement, or tell me that their pin is harder to get and they would not feel comfortable trading for what they requested.

Remember, I did not make the request, they did and now they think it is not a fair trade????? It makes me feel like they did not want to really trade for that pin and just sent a lot of TA's to see who would bit and who would not. This practice is not nice and really not appreciated.

When you send out a TA. it is a part of a promise. This is how I view it anyway.

Here's one for you all... Receiving the same TA request for the same pins a couple weeks apart for the third time! I've accepted the two previous times with no response, and have just accepted this request for the third time, so we'll see what happens!

Yes! That's happened to me, too. After the first few times, I stopped accepting the repeated request, and finally I stopped even sending my customary "Thank you for the offer but I will pass" reply.

I got one of those and it was a trade that wasnt even worth my pin but I still kindly replied and said no thankyou, Im not seperating the set for that pin..then a week later I got the same trade request...kindly told the trader the same think and told him to check who the TA is sending requests to and to delete me from it...3rd time I just removed the pins from my traders as was getting tired of it..

What bugs me is when you send a trade request through the TA and you one of these responses -

*That pin isnt for trade as its being saved for a friend, sorry.

Could save people who want the pin alot of time and remove it from their trades list..I asked once if they have no desire to trade it then could they remove it so my TA's dont go to them...they didnt listen until they kept getting my Trade requests

*I already have the pin your offering, 3 months later they still have it on their wants list and I get same response.

For me if you have a pin off your wants then remove it in my opinion as dont know how many times Ive sent trade requests for pins I really want and for the only person who has it for something I have to say - I have your pin and then months later to still say they want my pin..is quite annoying!!

I got a few trade requests sent out this morning but I can see me not hearing back from any of them lol

If I'm asking for a pin that I really want I usually include the message "Trying to open a dialog. If not this pin then what pin to trade?" I can't say I'm getting more responses, but at least I'm trying. I try to remove people I know I've heard back from and sometimes I might miss one, but I have to agreed with everything said here. I don't know that there is a "better way" to do things, but it certaintly needs looking into. The TA is a great system, when it works. Unfortunately, those times are few and far between.

I'm in the same boat, wishing the TA could be updated to better accomodate multi trades. Or better yet, just allow for more messaging! I don't know why the system is limited to 60 characters - being a newbie, I didn't realize that the input field for the accompanying message will allow text of any length, and thus recently sent out messages that were then cut down to an incomplete 60 characters that made no sense. -_- Now I run my generic messages like "If insufficient, please check my trades for more. Thanks!" messages through Twitter first to do a character count.

Don't get me wrong, the TA is really an amazing tool that has nabbed me some great trades so far, but I've also sent out a bunch of offers that I never intended as 1-for-1 trades, and found myself in the situation of having to backpedal in the face of potential trade partners who thought I was offering them the best deal on the planet. The TA is solid for trading up (a lesser pin for a slightly better one), but really shoddy for trading a bigger pin down into multiple pins.

I don't even bother trying to edit my queue of trade messages, since half of them seem to be going to anonymous users (why is being anonymous even an option?!) and for the other half, I'd rather just show the person everything I have from their Wants and have them let me know what would work.

-JD

Last edited:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Spiffie
Once I tried to "discuss" this very topic over at Dizpins. I was practically handed my head on a platter.
This happened to me on a daily basis over there. I'm so glad there is finally a place where everyone feels welcome.

I checked it out. Even the que looks pretty cool. Nice to see our good friend Dr. Nigel is in charge...lol
Dr Nigel Channing is bad. He does not belong with Figment, Dreamfinder does. :fig:
NOOO!!! Dr. Nigel is the devil!!!
I couldn't agree more!

I know this thread started out about TA's, and you can add me to the list of ppl who are sick of agreeing to a trade then never hearing from from then again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back