• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Trying to identify a series (scrapper possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to identify a series (scrapper possible)

Wolfie

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I just registered here as the DizBoards seem to be down. I thought I would try out a new board and see how folks are here.

Anyway, the reason for heading here was that I got a group of pins, all the same style that I can't seem to find on pinpics and was wondering if yal could help out. Am at work so I can't get a pic up of the pins so I will describe them the best I can and see if that will be sufficient.

They look like this in general (none are this pin, this is a general reference to style):
http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/group.cgi?group=1622&pin=24207

All are gray except one, I have a Dale, a Stitch, a Figment thumbs up, a Minnie, a Chessire cat, and a gray dumbo but also a brown, possibly sepia, dumbo. The two dumbos are the same design just different colors, one grays, one browns. They all have the cropped corners like the example above. The crop is not physical, the pins are rectangular with pointy corners. All have a white border almost like B/W photos in an old style album. The cropped corners are on the border only, don't cover the interior image. All the interior images appear to be almost photo snap-shot style poses, mostly upper body.

They are all vertical rectangles, and all have "LIMITED RELEASE" on the rear. The backs all have the mickey waffle that extends to the edge (no borders) and the color of the metal is kinda like blued gunmetal. The back color on the brown dumbo is lighter silver than all the others and the edges are poorer quality and rougher (suspecting a scrapper). The year is too small for me to read without a mag glass that I don't have here at work. Some of them have nubs near the pin post, some don't.

I would appreciate any leads to identify the series/pin numbers on pinpics.

Are they like this one? [pinpics]83804[/pinpics]?

If so, they are the new PWP promo at Disneyland. The sepia colored ones are the real ones, and according to the description on this Dumbo, the grayscale ones are the scrappers. See Pinpics numbers 83802 - 83807, 83959 for the rest of the series.

Spot on! Thank you!

Why does this pin not show up when I search for dumbo. Man, Pinpics search is really lacking :(

The other images (other than the sepia dumbo) on pinpics look like my pins, they are gray, not sepia. I have a gray and a sepia dumbo. I find it ironic that the sepia dumbo looks like a lower quality pin than the gray one. The stamp on the gray one has the nicer looking raised banner and much cleaner, professional looking edges. The waffle on the brown dumbo has some defects while all the others are clean and crisp. Guess it just goes to show you how full of landmines this hobby is :(

Side question...trying not to look like an idiot but... PWP means what?

I know Pinpics is stating the grayscale ones are scrappers - however . . . while at Epcot this past weekend, I received two grayscales as PWPs. No border, everything the same, except they are grayscale instead of sepia. . . Wondering if anyone else has had this experience.

If you bought them directly from WDW, then you should post a note on the ones you got. Maybe sepia ones are DL and the greyscale in WDW?

Ok, took some pics tonight. The last image (back closeup) is of one of the grayscale ones. Are yall really sure these are scrappers just because they are grayscale and not sepia?

11a_0511a.jpg11a_0507a.jpg11a_0505b.jpg

I know I received the Dumbo and Figment ones in the small black $1.00 bags for purchasing well over $30.00 worth of pins this weekend at Epcot. I contacted PinPics mods and the listings have now been edited to reflect the new information. Therefore, these are not scrappers at this time. :)

I know I received the Dumbo and Figment ones in the small black $1.00 bags for purchasing well over $30.00 worth of pins this weekend at Epcot. I contacted PinPics mods and the listings have now been edited to reflect the new information. Therefore, these are not scrappers at this time. :)

Stellar! Now I am glad I waited before I took the pliers to them to destroy them. I have added photos to some of the B/W PinPics listings.

Honestly, I was shocked when stated they were scrappers. I got them from a trusted source, they had the pin nibs, the waffles were crisp with no borders and the logos are sharp. The sepia toned one was the one that had a much poorer quality look and a worse looking logo (it didn't come from the same source as the gray ones did). Yall are good. Really good.

You know, the back of the sepia Dumbo does look scrapperish to me. If you look at its waffle pattern vs the grey ones, you can see that the Mickey heads are just ever so slightly farther apart. The real ones, the Mickeys almost touch. I wonder if there are scrappers, and they are the sepia ones, but there are real sepia ones too.

Does anyone have any sepia ones, that they personally purchased from DL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back