• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Updated Pin Boards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated Pin Boards

speedwaystar1

UK Disney Fan
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
So back in March I visited WDW for the first time , whilst there I bought a lot of disneyana including several Artist Sketches . I decided to update my displays to show them off :D

Jessica Rabbit

Tinker Bell

I have a few other sketches too so I'll be looking to create a few more like this , next up will be Cheshire Cat / Jafar / Merida (depending on which pins I find first :))

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the nice comments .
Wow.....love them both! Thank you for sharing! Can't wait to see the Chesie board!
Ask and ye shall receive :D

I decided to go with Alice in Wonderland rather than just Cheshire Cat , notice the missing AIW mystery set pin at the bottom . I'm still searching for the Caterpillar .

Awww, those are awesome! And I, too, would like to know where at WDW you were able to purchase the sketches? At DTD they have an art place but I didn't think they took sketch requests. :)

Last edited:
They all came from Art of Disney . All were drawn by the same artist Monica Willis .
There's a book with all the designs you can choose from , you specify the colour / colours you want and either go back and collect them later or have them sent to your resort hotel . Each costed around $45 .
There's other places too though , Art of Animation at HS (may have closed) , Epcot near to Spaceship Earth and Main Street at MK all have Artists in residence but the same design options . Never did find the AK store but there probably was one .
Next up is going to be a Jafar , I recently got a whole load of my Jafar grails so it should look great :)

These boards look brilliant David :) So nice to see the pins all out on display!

What did you use for the backing board? I wanted to do something like this for my Djali pins using a nice print I found on Etsy! But had no idea where to start!

These boards look brilliant David :) So nice to see the pins all out on display!

What did you use for the backing board? I wanted to do something like this for my Djali pins using a nice print I found on Etsy! But had no idea where to start!
I just used a standard picture frame , sometimes the back doesn't sit quite as deep because the pins protrude but I added eyelets and string to hang them so you don't notice it .
The backing card is just ordinary card from The Range (UK version of Target for anyone US based :))
If you go with the Etsy print be sure to get a mount for it though , it creates a small gap between the picture and the background so the pins sit better

Sorry to be a bit dull, but you just use a standard picture frame? Then a piece of card with the pins pushed through, do you put the backs on to keep them in place? And do you mean that then you don't put the original frame back on but put hanging fixtures on the corners to hang them?

My daughter wants to display her pins and I am struggling with the best way. Thanks

I'll try and explain better .
I use a standard frame . Remove the back from the frame and cover it with whatever colour paper you want to use . If you're putting a picture in the centre do that first .
Lay the pins around the edges where you feel they fit best but DON'T push them into it right away , you'll just bend the posts , when you're happy with the layout make a hole for each post (I use a bradle but a nail or similar would work too) .
With certain pins they don't stay in place as well as I'd like so I place a tiny piece of blue-tac behind them to hold them in place , although when you put the back into the frame the glass will hold most of them in place . I don't bother with the Mickey Head backs however I do put a bit of masking tape over the exposed posts so I don't stab myself too often
When you fold the tabs on the frames back down if you've used more bulky pins they may not reach so I try to avoid these type of pins (I use shadow box frames for these)
As for hanging it on the wall , I always remove the standard fold out fixings as it won't sit flush to the wall with the posts poking out the back and add my own rings and string fittings .
If I do put Jafar together I'll try and take a few progress photos to illustrate better .

I'll try and explain better .
I use a standard frame . Remove the back from the frame and cover it with whatever colour paper you want to use . If you're putting a picture in the centre do that first .
Lay the pins around the edges where you feel they fit best but DON'T push them into it right away , you'll just bend the posts , when you're happy with the layout make a hole for each post (I use a bradle but a nail or similar would work too) .
With certain pins they don't stay in place as well as I'd like so I place a tiny piece of blue-tac behind them to hold them in place , although when you put the back into the frame the glass will hold most of them in place . I don't bother with the Mickey Head backs however I do put a bit of masking tape over the exposed posts so I don't stab myself too often
When you fold the tabs on the frames back down if you've used more bulky pins they may not reach so I try to avoid these type of pins (I use shadow box frames for these)
As for hanging it on the wall , I always remove the standard fold out fixings as it won't sit flush to the wall with the posts poking out the back and add my own rings and string fittings .
If I do put Jafar together I'll try and take a few progress photos to illustrate better .

Thank you so much x

GREAT IDEA!!! I was thinking about doing this for my daughter but have been debating on how to do it ... where are those frames from? they are very nice!

The frames were a standard size , I bought them from the Range (20x16) they backing paper was also from there . I'm off this week so I hope to complete the Jafar set plus a Villains & Princess frame :)

The frames were a standard size , I bought them from the Range (20x16) they backing paper was also from there . I'm off this week so I hope to complete the Jafar set plus a Villains & Princess frame :)

Ahh okay, had to look that store up! Too bad we dont have it here .. nice depth for the pins but also a nice frame ... ill be keeping my eye out so I can do something similar!

We commissioned one of the artists there on our last trip for 5 different cat drawings and plan to get more when we return and just had planned on framing them but combining them with relevant pins is such a great idea!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back