• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

VINYL Vinylmation collectors - Is This Story TRUE??

VINYL Vinylmation collectors - Is This Story TRUE??

figment919

Super Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
169   0   0
I am NOT a Vinylmation collector - but a friend who is sent me this. Is this TRUE??

"Seems people are now going to the parks with digital postage scales and weighing the blind box figures to determine what's inside. For instance 2 of the more recent chasers have and extra piece to make the neck longer, so the box weighs slightly more. Or if the figure comes with a hat it's easy to tell with a digital scale. The new park 9 set has the Dapper Dans.. red is the standard color, but there's harder to find variants of the other 3 color 'Dans'.. So now you just weigh the box and because of the hat you know you have a Dapper Dan. Or I read that the Ghost Obi-Wan from the Star Wars set is like 1.5 ounces lighter than the regular because it's a clear plastic they use on him. So that's the new scam. Sit there and weigh boxes till you find the right one".

Mike S.

I'm not sure what they could say... the people who were opening blind boxes were actually stealing, as they were making merchandise unsellable, but if they're not damaging the packages, I'm not sure what rules they'd be breaking.

Of course, a business has the right to refuse service to anyone, but I don't know whether the sales cast members would want to take that on for something that's a grey area, would they?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this act is happening. The weighing "strategy" is used in other hobbies.

One example: LEGO used to insert rare, exclusive mini-figures in random boxed sets. If a weighed box was upped by just 1 or 2 ounces more than its usual weight (indicating the exclusive figure was inside), then BAM - instant purchase :/ I'm assuming this act is practiced pretty much with any kind of hobby using blind boxes.

I am NOT a Vinylmation collector - but a friend who is sent me this. Is this TRUE??

"Seems people are now going to the parks with digital postage scales and weighing the blind box figures to determine what's inside. For instance 2 of the more recent chasers have and extra piece to make the neck longer, so the box weighs slightly more. Or if the figure comes with a hat it's easy to tell with a digital scale. The new park 9 set has the Dapper Dans.. red is the standard color, but there's harder to find variants of the other 3 color 'Dans'.. So now you just weigh the box and because of the hat you know you have a Dapper Dan. Or I read that the Ghost Obi-Wan from the Star Wars set is like 1.5 ounces lighter than the regular because it's a clear plastic they use on him. So that's the new scam. Sit there and weigh boxes till you find the right one".

Mike S.

Sad but true... i started collecting vinyls recently and it really bithers me when i see people doing that, i try buy picking up the boxes and trying to figure out which one is heavier or lighter but i don't bring an scale that is not really luck anymore, that to me is cheating the system and the saddest part is that these people go back to get more chaser to sell them online, they are not happy with just the one for their collection... so this takes the chances for others newbies to find their chasers for their collection... :(

anyways, i still try to make the most out of it and enjoy trading vinyls when i can. :)

This is all very true...However the good news is that here at DLR the castmembers at D street have become very aware of it and the people that are doing it. They were watching people like hawks this weekend and were openly saying that this kind of thing will not be allowed!! YEAHHHH D Street!! Also there are plenty of people in the hobby that are calling out those that do this kind of thing...taking pictures of them and blasting them on facebook vinyl collecting groups in hopes of making it so uncomfortable for the individuals that they stop.

Chumlee

I know at pin traders at MK there was a guy who got caught opening box's and cutting the bag and then using a mirror to see what was in the bag. my friend works there and the person got caught and was asked to leave the store.

The same thing, is that the people using all of these excessive measures to get the chaser, variant or "special" Vinyl aren't the true collectors. They are those who resell on ebay and in their forums. The sharks if you will. :(

Yes, everyone walks around the store shaking their boxes hoping that their special box is "the one" lol. Usually never is, but hey, its worth a shot hahahaha.

It is sad but true, scales are the new thing. In the past, most all of the Vinyls were the same weight, so it didnt matter.

Wow...that is pretty bold to stand in front of a merchandise display at Disney World (or Disneyland) with a scale and start weighing boxes! I wonder if Vinyls will start implementing the system that they now use for PODM's...where you get to look at four cels and choose the two that you would like to purchase. Maybe they will just hand you a box from behind the counter and then it will be completely random (as it was intended to be).

This really isn't anything new :/ as long as there have been blind boxes there have been this kind of stuff. Same with baseball cards and pokemon. Holofoils weigh more, it's been happening for a really long time :/

This is all very true...However the good news is that here at DLR the castmembers at D street have become very aware of it and the people that are doing it. They were watching people like hawks this weekend and were openly saying that this kind of thing will not be allowed!! YEAHHHH D Street!! Also there are plenty of people in the hobby that are calling out those that do this kind of thing...taking pictures of them and blasting them on facebook vinyl collecting groups in hopes of making it so uncomfortable for the individuals that they stop.

Chumlee

Glad to hear! I was shocked to read that people openly weigh the boxes in the shop - definately cheating and ruining it for others.

I recently heard people were actually getting kicked out of dstreet for doing this and banned from the store for a period of time don't know if that's the case or just a rumor i heard

Back