• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Wdw dpf ptn group?

How do you feel about a DPF group at PTN for WDW?

• I think thats a great idea, and I would be willing to help!

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I think thats a good idea but Im not at WDW for PTN

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • I think thats a poor plan, more details need to be worked out.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I think that idea stinks, all PTNs are for sharks

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wdw dpf ptn group?

lucan444

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Would you be in favor of a DPF secured area<an area where DPF members only could set up, trade and keep an eye out for each other at PTN> ?
WDWjuan,JallenWood,myself,Dented and a few others have done this at intervals in the past informally. It worked out as well as any arrangement could, We all spent some time away from the table roaming and trading, knowing our pins were being watched by someone trustable, several of us learned a great deal just talking pins that night<many minds make the conversation intresting> and we had several trades amongst us that everyone came out winners on!! As well as cookies to share and a potty break buddy!! We even handed out DPF cards<HUGE THANK U TO Jessta and crew for getting them to me just before the PTN!>
While it will require a small amount of coordination, it is a viable and more importantly, SAFE atmosphere for all of us to trade in, Agreed it will not keep the sharks out of PTN, but at least in our small lagoon we would be predator free!, Maybe we could do a group pinboard for kids,<known baby barracudas as i have heard from DLR crowds, would be excepted of course since permission to trade off board is by our grace> but each of us throw in a few for the shorts to choose from? Make pin trading fun again for us and for others, so that the hobby we all love stays fun !!!!!

Would the members and most importantly the staff of DPF allow us to use either the name of the site or the site itself to promote and safeguard its members at PTN for WDW?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I had to vote that it was a poor idea. :( Edit: I do want to add that while is was the best option for me to select, it is worded more harshly than I actually feel. It isn't that it is a terrible idea, but you have to very careful about how you do those kinds of things. You'd want to be inviting to others, but if you do that then some sharks are going to stop by, so it can't be a completely safe zone.

I'm not near WDW so I wouldn't be involved, but the way it is being presented sounds like like the lunch table that is only for the "cool kids". Edit: strike that. I reread and I think I know what you are going for.....just be careful. You don't want to end up excluding people that shouldn't be :Edit Done I know that wasn't your intention at all, but we are all adults here. If you want to swim in the ocean you've got to accept the fact that you will be sharing it with sharks. Setting up a perimeter is not the way to go. Plus, you can all trade here if you want, so why segregate yourselve at a PTN?

I completely understand that it can be intimidating to encounter a shark but hiding is not the answer. Everyone needs to educate themselves and know how to deal with them head on. The more people do that, the fewer prey these sharks will find and they will eventually move to other waters.

Now, there is nothing wrong with meeting up with peole, sitting together, etc. But making it into "a thing", and an "exclusive thing" at that isn't the way to go. If I were a newbie and saw a group like that, I would be more intimidated by it than the mingling crowd which would just push me in the directions of the sharks.

Last edited:
I'm new to this board and am having a wonderful time reading old posts and learning from the pros. I went to the PTN at WDW last Friday. My husband and two year old played at WDW while I went to the event. I could have definitely used a friend or two to show me the ropes and answer questions. I did find some nice people to talk to who traded with me, but still had no clue if I was being taken advantage of.

I've only gone to several WDW PTN's, one good, the rest not so much. The latter includes last fridays which I couldn't stay long due to work. I think it would at least been more memorable knowing that I could meet up with people from here and this can be a great idea if it is organized effectively.

I don't see it as an opportunity to exclude others from trading with the DPF table, but rather getting a group of sentinels together to keep the sharks at bay and in eyes sight at all times. WDWjuan did the same thing the first PTN I went to and it allowed for me to walk around while he kept an eye on things, and I did the same for him. If there was a DPF group that huddled together, I don't think there'd be any negatives, other than maybe feeling too laxidasical about those around you.

I feel with the amount of pin trading knowledge withen the group we could be the school yard bully's (lack of a better word) just saying as a group with years of experiance we could point out bad trades scrappers ect... withen the group keeping the trading with those DPF traders pretty secure & the sharks might not want to waste there time knowing we have each others back while learning withen that process how to spot a good or bad trade.

I support this but I am sure you would need Disney's permission if you plan to do this on property.

I feel with the amount of pin trading knowledge withen the group we could be the school yard bully's (lack of a better word) just saying as a group with years of experiance we could point out bad trades scrappers ect... withen the group keeping the trading with those DPF traders pretty secure & the sharks might not want to waste there time knowing we have each others back while learning withen that process how to spot a good or bad trade.

I support this but I am sure you would need Disney's permission if you plan to do this on property.

I know there is usually a table of us that sit together or close together at least at dlr so we can look out for one another. we used to have a "dizpins" table or 2 that the newbies could look for. maybe have a ballon imprinted with the logo and fill it with helium and have it at a table so that newer dpf'rs could find you. i have done that type of thing before at dlr ptns as well as a few other people. and we would help out the newer "members"

To be honest, I think a good form of Shark (and baby baraccuda -- have to admit I like that monkier) repellent would be to simply adopt the French Disneyland trading rules. It is still 1 for 1 but they limit selections.

Hidden mickey / lanyard pins / Gift pins ---> may only be exchanged for simliar pins.
Common rack pins ---> may be exchanged for similiar common pins or hidden mickeys
LE pins --> may be exchanged for any pins.

It won't keep all the counterfeit and scrapers out of the pool. But I suspect the initial inspection before trading will go along way to keeping most them out of circulation.

I have done things like this before(setting up & running an activity) & what we need to make this happen is we need a set of trading rules of our own, one that will not contradict Disney's trading rules. Like mentioned ubove lanyard for lanyard, rack pin for rack pin, ect... Once we have that then we need to figure a way that doesnt cost money to let others know who we are & I suggest the DPF logo printed on paper & taped to the tables we are set up at, if we have the DPF lanyard (I ordered mine last night) we ware it so others can 1) see the logo o the table, our rules for trading, & our lanyards. this way we are very visible. I am concedering by next PTN to wear a name tag with my DPF name on it so others can see who I am without issue.

Hows that so far?

Too many rules for me, I wouldn't be interested.

Also, a table full of Sentinel-Looking-Traders would scare the sh** out of me if I were a brand new trader...I would never approach.

If I were new and at least familiar with this site I would approach the group. It definitely would have been nice to have a place to start that you could trust.

I think that meeting up, having a way to identify each other, and possibly sitting together is pretty harmless. Just making some connections and having folks there you know--doesn't have to be complicated or any big commitment. You can sit with the group, or go off on your own. You can trade how you like, or take advice. I personally would like to do something different to make the event a little more enjoyable, and getting to know some of the members of this community sounds like a good first step.

I think that meeting up, having a way to identify each other, and possibly sitting together is pretty harmless. Just making some connections and having folks there you know--doesn't have to be complicated or any big commitment. You can sit with the group, or go off on your own. You can trade how you like, or take advice. I personally would like to do something different to make the event a little more enjoyable, and getting to know some of the members of this community sounds like a good first step.
That's what it's all about. Might be better if we met prior to the event so can stick together & get our tables together or near by, Just a suggestion.:rolleyes:

the idea is a ruff one admittedily, while i did not see it as restrictive to outsiders as some here do, I considered it more for us to watch our own stuff not to intimidate or exclude others from trading with us. As with any ideas it would need to be modified, but it is functional. Will it be for everyones taste, most likely not, will it help our newer folks out, most definately it will, will it help some of us older traders,sure it would.<can u watch your stuff for 4 to 5 hrs without a potty break, I can to , but feel a whole lot better if I can go if I need to!!?> Especially in light of the numerous bad stories we heard about the last PTN at the Contemporary for some folks, this may be a way to make things easier, more relaxed, oh I dont know FUN??

Like I said I am definitely interested. HeatherFeather you should definitely go to the next one. I have so many questions about the pins I already have and would be interested in some of you pros to look over them and give me some insight. When do they usually announce the next event? Are they every month?

Lucan is not talking about a group to fight the sharks, just a little gathering to help protect ourselves from sour deals and add another set of eyes for those with "sticky" fingers.

First off we will need to ask Jessta and crew for permission to use the DPF logo in public<since none of us are "officially associated"> after that we will have to wait for announcement of next PTN, expected in July since they seem to alternate months now, and Sept is the FL Project , July would be the best choice. Especially cause its high tourist season here<dont know why you want to come vist in the hottest part of the year but lots do!!>
So once date is announced we start our list of whom is going, from there we guestimate<cuz thats the best we will be able to do> how much space we will need and whatnot. I have absolutely no problem showing up early to the Contempo and securing a spot in line for our reserve team.
The reserve team need only be a few folks to arrive before the doors open to help secure space. We may have to limit numbers of books on the table , but that is only to allow everyone a chance to put something out to trade. <Ie you have ten books and I have two, we should at least be able to work a way for each of us to evenly display what we have> If you have ten books and insist on displaying them all then perhaps you should set up by yourself. This is a beginer helper kinda set up, if you cant share and play nice, please leave your pail and shovel at home.
Next after we have dates and times as well as set up team, we should try to put together loose idea of who and when folks will arrive. Some will get there later, some early. so having the flexablity to spread our pins out and pull back to make room for later arrivers is going to be a good idea. Due especially to traffic on Fri nights in Otown, some folks will not be available till later. We should try to help them, cuz what happens if your there on Vacation and that disney bus is late getting to the Contemporary, wouldnt you feel alittle better knowing your group was fairly saving you some space, versus setting up on the floor or whatever?
Lastly we would need some patience. This is a learning and growing experience for each and every one of us. With some patience and some enthusiasm we can all, novice and old pro, LEARN, teach, and maybe even share some of our own "magic" with each other.
Thats how friendships are built, thats how knowledge and trust is passed on, thats how we bring the fun back to our hobby that we all love so much.

Sounds great! I don't have any books to set out(still too new), but would love to meet you guys, learn and get help with my trades. I know you guys don't know me yet, but I would be happy to help in any way that you feel comfortable with! I live in Tampa and can be there at any time.

hey gang,

I have just sent Jessta a letter formally requesting permission to use the logo, for a meeting point at the PTNs, This is the first step, If we cannot use the DPF logo we will have to figure something else out as a signifier, but for now we will wait on the PTB here at DPF. Next up would be finding the date for the next PTN.?
I will continue to keep everyone posted as this progresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back