• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

What do you do when a pin is lost in the mail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you do when a pin is lost in the mail?

iamdisneydan

The Bald Guy In The Back
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
127   0   0
OK,
So in good faith you mail a pin to a trader and their pin arrives to you but yours gets lost in the mail and they never receive it, and of course there is the flipside where your pin never arrives but they get theirs. WHAT DO YOU DO?

This is a good question and while I have asked it, it is actaually from another trader that I tried to explain what should happen. Here is my opinion.

When you make a deal with a fellow trader, you are commiting that you will get the promised pins to them as they will to you. Not many of us use insurance, sure we use delivery confirmation (Most of the time).

If a pin is lost in the mail, it is still your responsibility to make sure the other party receives their end of the deal.

If you decided not to insure it, then you are assuming the damages meaning that if it is lost, you will replace it, otherwise, you should have used insurance. As for delivery confirmation, that only lets you know the other party did in fact receive it.

So lets say you now used DC and it never arrived and the post office also can not produce proof it arrived? Bottom line is it did not get there and you have let down your end of the bargin and shoud resend a pin of equal value. It is not the receivers fault.

So I guess what I am saying is each sending party is responsible to make sure the pins get there and that is what insurance is for. If it did not get there and you sent 50 dollars of pins, your insurance will pay you the 50 dollars and you can resend pins (or replacements) at no loss.

I have only once not had a pin arrive and fortunately it is a trader I have done multiple trades with. We waited 10 days to see if it showed up and then I sent another pin to replace it. No I did not have insurance and the pin and postage was a loss but thats the chance you take.

If you send me a pin and it does not get here, its your responsibility, not the post office. And who knows the reason it did not make it? Maybe poor packaging and it ripped or of course the fact the Post Ofice loses thousands of pieces of mail.

What do (or would) you do? What is the proper precedure in your opinion?
What if I traded with you and used DC but it did not make it? Do YOU still expect a pin?

I really look forward to seeing how people feel about this. let me know if you agree with me and its each senders responsibility and thats what insurance is for.

Last edited:
It is the senders responsibility if the other party doesnt receive it and I have another I send it or offer the chance to look at my traders for a replacement or if nothing else works I send their pin back

Jacqui

Ive only ever had this happen once when I sold some pins and I kindly agreed to purchase some pins from DLRP which matched the prices of the sold items so the trader got her pins.

I know I should use tracking on my pins but shipping from Ireland with is far to expensive as it comes with insurance so makes it a very expensive package when its just one pin. Id gladly send it that way if I could afford that but when Im sending out multiple trades at once it could be silly money just on postage...

Besides tracking with An post (irish postal service) is crap...even with tracking your left wondering where the hell the package is as it doesnt get updated once it leaves Dublin :p

I agree with you Dan, the senders resposibility does not end when the pin is put in the mailbox. The senders resposibility ends when the other party receives the pin.

Mike

Sounds reasonable to me. I most always use DC because then I at least know if it arrived. I think I would only insure it if it was a high value pin. So far, I've been lucky to not have any get lost. :)

I agree with you Dan, but unfortunately when I traded with someone and their pin never arrived at my home, they did not believe the same thing. They did not use insurance because I did specifically ask for it, but I didn't ask for it because it clearly stated in the link on PinPics about the online rules. This trader refused to send me my pins back or to send me a new pin. It shocked me when they email this to me.

I have been trying to get my pins back or an equal pin from them for months. They are now ignoring my e-mails. It was not a small trade. It was two pins valuing around $150 (the ones I sent) for another pin that was worth around $120. Now I don't know what kind of person doesn't insure a $120 pin. I insured mine! I'm still very sad about it and being a younger trader with a smaller income I can't afford those kinds of losses. :(

Anyway, this is a subject dear to me because I don't want people having to deal with what I am dealing with.

Totally agree that it is the senders responsibility until confirmation has been received that the pin or pins have arrived. In all the sales & trades I have made I can recall only twice where a package has been lost, in the first instance I supplied replacement pins, the second time I issued a refund as I did not have a duplicate pin - these have actually both been within the UK. EVERY package I have sent overseas has arrived with absolutely no problems - is there a theme here???

hey gang,

I agree with most here, the sender is the responsible party. If you chose to insure<due to large dollar amounts in the deal or just DC, the sender takes the risk!
I have only had two pins in the last year not arrive, neither was replaced by the sender, both claimed that since they mailed it thier responsibility was ended, however after repeated attempts no replacement or returns were forthcoming.

The long and short of it, KNOW WHOM YOUR TRADING WITH AND GET IT IN WRITING. Ask for any special treatment <ie insurance ,DC, whatever!!> Know the person, do they have a bad rap? dont trade!!!

Unfortuntaly there will always be those that take advantage of honest folks, it is us honest folks job to watch for each other and to make sure the community at large is protected from these @#$%@#$<call em sharks, barracuddas, piraha, whatever just make sure we all know whom they are!!!>
just my two pennies!!

I cant imagine not being responsible for the pins I send. If my package didnt make it for what ever reason I would feel HORRIBLE about not making it right. I treat other pin traders the way I want to be treated. KARMA people. I have even made a mistake when purchasing a pin from someone told them the wrong number they sent me the pin. I explained I made a mistake and offered to buy the correct pin. They couldnt believe I didnt MAKE them exchange the pins. Well it was MY mistake not theirs. I believe the majority of pin traders are honest good people. However there are those that are always looking for a quick buck. What comes around goes around. Seriously it does.

I agree that it's the sender's responsibility. In a trade, each party takes responsibility for the pin that he or she has sent. In a sale, the seller assumes all responsibility.

But here's a hypothetical case that mixes things up a bit and changes my answer: What if the potential receiver of the pin makes a mistake and asks the sender to mail the pin to an incorrect address? The address is valid (it's a real address), but it's not the address where the person lives. Let's say the sender uses tracking and delivery confirmation but not insurance because the pin isn't worth a lot of money, sends the pin to that address, and the post office confirms that it was delivered. Some unknown resident at the incorrect address keeps the pin rather than trying to return it to the sender. The person who wants the pin never actually receives it.

The mistake in this case is not the sender's, nor the post office's, nor is it an uncontrollable act of nature like a hurricane or a plane falling out of the sky. The potential receiver of the pin made a mistake. The sender may be kind enough to send a replacement, but I don't think that, in this admittedly hypothetical case, the sender is responsible.

(I probably should go eat breakfast instead of thinking up hypothetical situations. :) )

I agree with you Dan, but unfortunately when I traded with someone and their pin never arrived at my home, they did not believe the same thing. They did not use insurance because I did specifically ask for it, but I didn't ask for it because it clearly stated in the link on PinPics about the online rules. This trader refused to send me my pins back or to send me a new pin. It shocked me when they email this to me.

I have been trying to get my pins back or an equal pin from them for months. They are now ignoring my e-mails. It was not a small trade. It was two pins valuing around $150 (the ones I sent) for another pin that was worth around $120. Now I don't know what kind of person doesn't insure a $120 pin. I insured mine! I'm still very sad about it and being a younger trader with a smaller income I can't afford those kinds of losses. :(

Anyway, this is a subject dear to me because I don't want people having to deal with what I am dealing with.

If this trade was arranged over Pinpics, did you submit a dispute through them? You definitely should. From personal experience I can tell you that you will get better results. Open the case and paste in all of your emails by date as backup. If they are not willing to abide by the rules of the site then they shouldn't be allowed to use it.

Originally posted by erudolf
If this trade was arranged over Pinpics, did you submit a dispute through them? You definitely should. From personal experience I can tell you that you will get better results. Open the case and paste in all of your emails by date as backup. If they are not willing to abide by the rules of the site then they shouldn't be allowed to use it.

I don't know how to open a case. It was through pin pics and I have been e-mailing the person trying to get a response, but nothing. How would I open a case?

Go here and follow the directions. They aren't actively moderating cases right now but this will send a message to the other trader that you mean business. After opening it, if more time passes with no response or refusal to work it out, email Pinpics directly and just let them know. If they feel your dispute is valid they might ban the person.

http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/report.cgi?act=new

Some people out there are wackos. Even with DC you can be screwed, so I completely recommend checking references too. Lost an le 250 when my collection was just blooming and it hurt ): I couldn't believe it. UGH... damn you Caz from Europe.

lol:) you live, you learn

This recently happened to me where I sent the pin with a DC#, but the post office lost it. I was able to get a replacement and send it, but it was my responsibility to get them their pin. If I hadn't been lucky, I would have offered to return their pin or ask them to select another pin regardless. I would hope that all traders are like this, but unfortunately they aren't.

This just happened to us, both ways!! On the one we were responsible for sending, the DC says the pin arrived at the Post Office and has been "out for delivery" for the past 7 weeks. We were fortunate to have an identical pin and sent it out, only this time insured it for $100.00. It got there just fine!

If we had not had a duplicate pin or could not obtain one, we would have given the recipient the option of looking through our traders for a comparable pin or returning theirs to them!

On the one we were supposed to receive, a replacement was obtained and sent to us. Thanks Margaret for feeling the same way as we do and going the extra mile for us! You are awesome!!!!

The bottom line is we are responsible for the agreements we make and should insure every package if we are not willing to accept the possibility of loss.

G&D

Last edited:
I am in a similar situation right now. I sent a pin, with DC and the post office says it was delivered. However, the recipient says they did NOT receive it. I offered to send her original pin back (but she insists that I don't). I feel bad because the pin I sent was a F&W annual passholder pin from this year and I don't have another and not sure I can get another.

Anyway, I offered to return her pin and she said NO. So, where does that leave me?

Just keep you guys updated, I sent a complaint through PinPics (Thank you erudolf). I hope something comes of it. It's just been such a headache for so long and I really only want my pins back. I hope the other trader responds or something can be done.

best of luck.i am going through the same thing right now however the sender claimed to send them but didnt use delivery confirmation and refuses to send mine back as well.....hmmm email or message me i wonder if its the same guy.

Lopeldred - Just out of interest, what kind of refs did that person have on the dizpins ref center? I'm super-new to this, so I'm trying to figure out just how much those refs are worth (which is an imperfect non-science at best, but yeah).

-JD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back