• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

What Is Your Personal Pin Trading Rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Is Your Personal Pin Trading Rule?

TheMickeyMouseRules

Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder
Staff member
DPF Super Moderator
Rating - 100%
232   0   0
Would sharing how we think about pin trading be an interesting topic? As a way to enjoy the hobby, I have over the past few years developed some personal pin trading rules. These are ever changing and adaptive rules which allow me to target pins I love.

Here is one of my main rules:
1) For my 3 character collections (Mickey, Cheshire and Maleficent) I decided to collect the characters alone (ie, Mickey Mouse by himself... no Minnie or Pluto with Mickey).

How do you target the pin you love? What is a rule (or two) you have for your pin collection which you are willing to share with the forum?

Yes, this is a good topic for discussion ... it will help us get to know and understand each other as collectors, and one person's wisdom might help someone else get a better perspective of his/her own collection.

Pin-specific rule:

NO UGLY FACES. I just can't do it. I don't have a lot of other pin-specific rules (I know some folks hate words or numbers, etc), but this is my big issue. My "case-in-point" example is always the DSF Cupcake series (PinPics #92883-92886). Those pins are SO CUTE. And Alice's clown mouth is SO BAD. So I refuse to buy any of the four pins in that set, because it's dumb (to me) to have three of the four pins. And I can NOT deal with that Alice.

s-l225.jpg

Just call her Pennywise already!!!!!!! :rofl:

General pin rule:

When you're starting to STRESS OUT (for serious, not for the sake of being goofy among pin-friends) about your pins, it's time to step back and re-evaluate. I know there has been plenty of discussion elsewhere about specific signs that you're in over your head or might need professional assistance in sorting out your goals and struggles. But my overarching thing is: Hobby, fun. Stress, bad. Hobby = stress? BAD. It doesn't matter if it's the realization that you own 42,000 pins and can't make your mortgage payment or your frustration at not being able to find the latest HTF release without having to offer a kidney for it or anything in between. If you're not actually having fun, WHY ARE YOU DOING IT? That's the point of a hobby--yes, it can have its "moments," but it's supposed to be something you enjoy (the opposite of, say, work, ha ha). So when the blood pressure is rising, it's time to remember that pins, while delightful, are one small part of this vast universe and (hopefully) one small(ish) piece of your existence, and really, there is no reason you can't just step away until you get your perspective back. (And yes, if you discover you CAN'T just step away, reach out and get some help.)

Last edited:
When the Imagination Gala happened, all the pins had a gold-embossed Figment head on them. :eek:

I collect any pins with Figment in them, but I decided I didn't need all the pins from the event because the Figment head was like the logo. This "rule" saved me a ton of money, and I still feel fine about it. :rofl:

Otherwise my only rule is: Figment = must have. :fig:

I don't have a whole lot of rules, I buy what I like. However, in some collections a I have some guidelines. For example, my Ariel collection is Ariel as Fish Girl. She's got to have her tail. Outside of one fantastic fantasy pin and one DSF pin, I've been pretty good about that. For my Donald Duck collection, if there is a matching Daisy, I get it, but to have Daisy, there must be Donald.

She's got to have her tail. Outside of one fantastic fantasy pin and one DSF pin, I've been pretty good about that.

I periodically break my rules too, but agree it must be a fantastic pin. I don't collect small world pins, but have quite a few of the small world mystery set released for the 50th anniversary last year. Those pins were just too cute and glittery. :)

I don't really like dated pins all too much.. I have a few, but I am not getting any others anymore for the moment because I'm not a huge fan. For my BATB collection I mostly like pins of fun scenes or several characters all together. I don't really collect pins of Belle on her own without too much context, for example.

As a general pin trading rule, however much I like the pin I'd be trading for, I don't do trades with anyone who's not friendly when discussing the trade.

As a Stitch collector from the early days, my first rule was: "I don't have to have them all. It's OK to say 'no' to a really ugly pin." No completist for me (unless it just happens).

I collect Stitch and Cats (main collections) but I also have quite a few "side" collections like Pooh (prefer pins with the whole cast or a series of single pins of everybody), Star Wars (droids and Star Tours mostly), Philharmagic, Emperor's New Groove, etc. etc. etc.

I've been pretty good about not adding new collections, but I *just* broke that rule. I'm now officially collecting Genie pins from Aladdin, but I'm trying to limit them to the "Genie transformation" pins (Genie dressed as something else; I think this comes from my early Stitch collecting days which were all about Stitch dressed as other characters).

I have a ton of rules for buying pins. The two big ones, though, are:

1) I refuse to buy pins that are being sold for more than double their original price, unless they're super freaking special. Price gouging in this hobby is rampant, and I just can't deal with it.
2) I do my best to only buy/keep one pin of each unique pose. Two of my main collections (UP and Fantasia) have TONS of pins with the characters with the same look, outfit, pose, etc, and there's just no point to me in keeping more than one of these.

Just my two cents.

Sadly as a completist, I get every pin in my theme whether I love it, like it or WTH were they thinking? Lol

Fortunately it tends to break down as about 50% love, 45% like, 5% WTH.

But when you're half a dozen or so pins from complete (give or take the recent 18 pin park pack insanity which will take a while to catch up on), might as well soldier on when it's really just about keeping up for the most part rather than catching up.

My general rule about pin trading is... let your interests change! My only 100% main collection is full-bodied tink (I.e. tink without any objects, or words, or background) and just in different poses. But besides that, with the other characters I like, I let my interests change. And when one pin just doesn't do it for me anymore, I'll trade it! I find that being open about your interests and recognizing that your preferences change keep the hobby fun and exciting, while still making the number of pins I have pretty manageable.

The only exception to this is KH pins. Those I will never get rid of (if I can ever get my hands on them).

I have a few guidelines :

~ Know what you can't be a completionist on, and be ok with not being complete on those. I started in pin trading with Lion King, and learned early on that I am not willing or able to be a Lion King completionist, as by the time I started in pins there were already countless DA and other low LE pins that were out of my reach. Going into that collection with that attitude makes it easier for me to turn down pins that I'm not completely happy with (like the recent DSF release).

~ It's ok to limit yourself to a subsection of a certain movie or character. A great example is my Daisy collection. I love that sassy duck, but am not as crazy about the other Fab Five characters, hence limiting it to pins of only Daisy by herself - no Donald, Minnie, group, etc. Additionally, I'm not a fan of a lot of the poses, facial expressions, etc. that they give her on pins. So even if it's a pin of just Daisy by herself, I won't try to buy or trade for it if I'm not really, really happy with the design.

Other examples of this are my Disney Afternoon and Wreck-It Ralph collections. I started out trying to get everything I could of both of those, but both have the problem of a bunch of pins that are older and/or rarer/more expensive. After awhile I decided to stop splitting my focus and narrow them down to just my favorite parts, and whittled those down to just Felix and Calhoun (my favorite WIR characters) and Rescue Rangers (my favorite DA show).

Going by this, right from the start I decided to make my Zootopia collection focused on just Judy. She is really one of the biggest reasons why I love the movie so much, and wouldn't enjoy pins of the other characters as much.

~ Try to be a completionist when feasible, but know that that probably won't happen unless you started collecting from Day 1. Take my Robin Hood versus Inside Out collections. I'm working towards completionist for Robin and hope that I finally achieve that someday. However, I know that a bunch of pins I still need are very expensive and/or incredibly hard to find. So while completionst would be lovely, I know logically it may never happen. Compare that to Inside Out. I knew I wanted to collect it since before the movie came out, so I was able to get (or at least know about) every pin as it was released. (Of course, since then they've put out a few numbingly rare pins that I may never get, but I still have the vast majority of everything else and am quickly reaching the point of being ok with being a completionist except for those.)

~ No new collections! This is the rule that I struggle the most with, especially when I get close to completing an existing collection. (I tried to collect Pua pins when Moana first came out, and every time I see a Bolt pin I want to have to remind myself of this). I have WAY too many collections as it is, and feel that I should focus on those before starting something new.

~ Collect what you really want instead of what's popular or easy to get. At the end of the day, if the entire pinconomy tanks and I'm stuck with every pin I have as worthless pieces of metal, I'd rather have pins of my loves (Lion King, Robin Hood, Inside Out, etc.) instead of ones I collected because it's what someone else loves.

Last edited:
~ Collect what you really want instead of what's popular or easy to get. At the end of the day, if the entire pinconomy tanks and I'm stuck with every pin I have as worthless pieces of metal, I'd rather have pins of my loves (Lion King, Robin Hood, Inside Out, etc.) instead of ones I collected because it's what someone else loves.

Love it!

Pin-specific rule:

NO UGLY FACES. I just can't do it. I don't have a lot of other pin-specific rules (I know some folks hate words or numbers, etc), but this is my big issue. My "case-in-point" example is always the DSF Cupcake series (PinPics #92883-92886). Those pins are SO CUTE. And Alice's clown mouth is SO BAD. So I refuse to buy any of the four pins in that set, because it's dumb (to me) to have three of the four pins. And I can NOT deal with that Alice.

s-l225.jpg

So funny. You are spot on!

Hmmmm, pin rules... I have some rules for myself only when buying pins. But I have rules when making any purchase for myself in general. I tend to spend more on other people then myself anyway.

1. I don't buy second market pins that are more than double their original cost. I've never needed anything so bad that I would purchase it for an outrageous price.

2. No ugly faces!! I agree addicted to Alice pins. I just can't do it! I hate when a pin looks better in its picture than in real life, it's sad... so I won't buy it.

3. I try to finish a mystery collection before starting a new one. I have usually 4 mystery collections at one time and I buy one of each box when I go to Disneyland and when they're done or I only need one pin I can probably get through trade, then I'll start a new box.

4. I'm not really a completest, it really depends on what the pin is for me to even want the whole set. With DSSH I usually buy the whole collection for trade purposes, I don't usually keep the ones outside of what I want. I complete hidden mickey pins and mystery boxes.

5. I only buy what I like. This goes for everything, I will not spend any money on something I don't like, or I'm not 100% about, I'll just put it back. I do it all the time even at the grocery store, I'll just take everything I want and don't need out of my basket.

6. I don't collect round flat dome pins(non-pin-on-pin). They remind me of buttons... not that I don't like buttons but I just don't care for them so I don't bother buying or even looking at them.

7. Art. I also see these pins as Art Pieces, if I don't like the art itself then I will not purchase the pin. I personally do a lot of art so I can appreciate the time and creativity but I still won't like the art style. If I don't like the art style of the pin, I won't buy it. I love Zero, love love love love, but some of his pins are plain or too dark of a setting and they just aren't pleasing to the eye.

8. $150.00 my heart seems to be connected to my wallet, I try not to spend more than $150 in one place at one time. It actually is depressing. The only time I break this is if I know I'm going in to buy a full set, that I know is going to cost more or I'm buying something for someone else. I think the only thing I spend more money on is heels but comfortable steletos cost at least $150 XD

9. I don't buy 5 pin mystery packs from Disney. They're too expensive I usually buy them still sealed in larger quantities 5+ bags from the second market.

10. I only purchase outside of my personal collection for gifts. This can be a problem for me, I do tend to buy more for others than myself but the only other reason I buy outside of what I'm personally collecting is usually just because that pin for some reason stood out among the sea of pins and said "take me home with you!" It doesn't happen too often but every so often I'll buy something like that.

11. If I have no free money then I don't buy anything(No Pins, No Leasure, No Fun Stuff) Right now I haven't been buying anything other than completing some gifts, I still have to buy a car (AGAIN!!!!) And my other one just broke >.> so priority is saving every penny for a new car when ever I find one and what ever medical bills till I get an insurance check no car = no pins

12. STRESS!!! If something makes me too stressed out then I just won't do it. I don't have issues with crowds and things, but if I'm overly stressed whether is has to do with pins or something else then I won't participate in pin hunting and so on. Over amounts of stress triggers cluster migraines and they can last from 1 week to 8 months so I really try and keep a handle on stress of all kinds.

13. Hobby Forever. This is a hobby that I now share with my mom and my sister. I want to keep it a hobby and that's all. The experience still means more than the pins themselves. Some pins I have aren't worth much but their sentimental value is high which makes the effort and time worth it.

I stick to my personal philosophy of:
time is worth more than money. You can't put a price on people's time, money will come and go but time you can't get back. If anything starts stealing my time and my time is now worth nothing to myself then what ever money I spent in that time is meaningless and so is what I bought. There is nothing in this world that will make me happy that was purchased with money. The time I spend with other traders and my family while doing this hobby is really what makes it fun and amazing.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The following rules have developed over the course of the 12 years I have been actively participating in the Disney pin trading community. . .

1) When trading with others residing in the general Southern California area, only complete the trades in person when both parties are already at one of the various local Disney venues for other reasons.

2) When trading via the mail, when the other person has been found to be less than forthcoming about the condition of their pin, do not trade with that person again.

3) Do not trade for a DSF/DSSH pin that was released on a card after 2009 unless the pin is still completely in its original packaging.

4) If the plastic envelope of a DSF/DSSH pin shows signs that it has been opened, then confirm that the SKU number matches what is noted in the PinPics listing of the pin.

5) The following warrant various premiums when training:

a) those pins where the Wants exceeds the Edition Size (per PinPics)

b) those pins whose Wants:Trades ratio (per PinPics) exceed 20:1

c) those pins (per PinPics) that have no one trading them

d) those pins (per PinPics) that have less than 10 people trading them

e) pins released (per PinPics) more than 5 years ago that are still in their original packaging

f) pins released (per PinPics) more than 5 years ago being traded by their original owner

g) any Disney Auctions pin

This is a really interesting thread idea! Let me think...

Rules about my pins themselves:

• My main collection is Figaro. I collect Figaro alone, and Figaro with Cleo, and even sometimes Figaro with Minnie, but not with Pinocchio or Gepetto.

• No dated pins. (For example, pins that say "2017" or "Thanksgiving 2012.") I do make an exception for my Hanukkah collection, because, sadly, almost ALL Hanukkah pins are dated.

• No pins with unnecessary writing on them. (For example, "Disney Parks," "Walt Disney World," ride names, movie titles.) I make exceptions if I think the writing suits a purpose and looks good. (I.E. the "graphic novel" pins with thought bubbles, or the "B.O.L.O." signs.)

• No pins with dangles, and almost no Free-D. (I'm always worried I'll mess them up somehow.)

• No "completist" mindset. (It just isn't for me. I'd rather casually collect all the different pins I love than focus on having one perfect collection.)

​Rules about the hobby/attitude/decorum:

• Keep things in perspective. When you think about it, this is a luxurious hobby that most people can't afford. We're collecting shiny pieces of metal with cartoon characters on them. If a trade doesn't work out, if you miss out on eBay, if you can't afford your grails... It's fine to be disappointed, and it's fine if you need to gripe a bit - But then, try to move on and appreciate what you do have. It's not the end of the world. It's PINS. ;)

• Always be polite and courteous when dealing with other traders (and people, in general). "Please" and "thank you" work more magic than "Bibbidi-boppidi-boo."

• If someone wants to trade for an "easy" pin (either an OE or easy-to-replace mystery/Hidden Mickey) - whether at a trading event or at the Parks... Don't stress about working out an equal trade. If they don't have anything of interest, just zap them! You never know when you're inspiring a new person to join the hobby! Or just making someone's day...

• When sending out pin mail, always try to add a little extra, whether it's a handwritten card, sheet of stickers, or something from the dollar section at Target. I also try to spend a few minutes making the package itself look good. At the end of the day, what this hobby is about for me is spreading joy and happiness. I like to send packages that will make people smile, even if they're having a bad day.

• When sending pin mail, always send a tracking number when you have one. When receiving, always post and let the sender know that their package has arrived. Always keep the other person posted until the trade is complete. Do NOT wait until the other person has to write and contact you for more information. Good communication is key.

• There's no such thing as too much bubble wrap.

• A personal rule of mine that some people may disagree with: It is perfectly acceptable to regift or pass zaps on. When I give a gift (whether a pin or something else), I am giving it with the hope that it will bring joy, no strings attached. If that someone will feel joy keeping it forever, that's wonderful. If they want to pass the joy on to someone else, that's awesome, too! (Trading a random zap for a pin you really want is also fine.)

• It's okay to take time out if the hobby is starting to feel too serious, or is bringing you more stress than joy. And it's's okay to quit if you're just not having fun anymore.

I'll update if I think of more. :)
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]

Last edited:
I’m a big scaredy baby about trading. I collect Dumbo and Dumbo only so everything I buy, I keep.
I never buy the “Dumbo ride†pins and I don’t buy Dumbo character cross over pins.
Almost all of my pins are only Dumbo with the exception of a Timothy Mouse appearance.
I do my best to stay within a price range and if I have no extra money, then I can’t get a pin.

“Don’t just fly, soar.†-Dumbo, 1941
Collecting everything Dumbo, one flying elephant at a time ❤️

You are all so right to give yourself rules in regards to this pin hobby. I started near the very beginning, back in 1999 and then I just bought pins I liked. I liked Holiday pins, opening day pins, pins of the month sets, DVC, Passholder, it did not matter what character was on the pin, I bought it. I also often bought two of each pin, one to keep and one to trade. I don't let many people know how many pins I really have. The non Disney people would not understand, and even some Disney people would think I was crazy. I try to be more selective now, but each year I end up with a plastic bin the size of a shoe box filled with pins. If I have any rule, it would be not to overpay for pins and trade first. I have only ever bought two pins from the bay, and I don't think I payed more than $20 for either pin. If I cannot trade for a pin then I just don't get it.

1) When trading with others residing in the general Southern California area, only complete the trades in person when both parties are already at one of the various local Disney venues for other reasons.

Or... in person trading with crazy trader from New Mexico who continues to try to attend too many of the various local Disney venues in SoCal. :)

Thanks for the rules... I might have to ask you about number 3 when I see you next... sounds like the start of a good conversation.

I love reading everyone's rules :) Mine are no more then $50 per pin (at least right now since I just recently got back into the hobby after selling almost my entire small collection a few years ago). Also, as many others have said 'no ugly faces' or wonky eyes! If I am not sure I have my fiancee check the face, he is really good about looking objectively at pins (but he will also be like "that one is cute, get it!" lol).

My 'guideline' is fairies or mermaids. I do have a few that fall outside this, but mostly that's what I have.

If I am not sure I have my fiancee check the face, he is really good about looking objectively at pins (but he will also be like "that one is cute, get it!" lol).

Good man. :) My husband is good for that too. He knows I'm careful about my pin spending, so he is usually very encouraging. But once in awhile, he'll pull an "Ehhh..." and I'm like, "Yep, okay. There's the line. Pull back." :lol:

My only rule is to focus on the word WANT. This has two parts: (1) before I get a pin, I ask myself if I really, actually want to have it on the wall, and (2) I remind myself that no pin is a NEED.

No ugly faces, or miscolored characters. What does Disney have against Scar? Why do they always want to color his chin or upper muzzle brown??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back