• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Why aren't there Japan, DLRP or UK Scrappers or counterfeit pins???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why aren't there Japan, DLRP or UK Scrappers or counterfeit pins???

fluffycat1

Cute and fluffy >^..^
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Why aren't there Japan, DLRP or UK Scrappers or counterfeit pins??? I just completed my Japan Chandu set (only 7 pins) and 5 of these pins are give away game prizes. They can easily be "counterfeited" or scrappers, but you don't see them. Why aren't they also thrown in that category? How does Japan, DLRP and the UK protect their pins? Or is it because no one has thought to counterfeit or scrap them too? :dunno:

Does any one else have a thought?

I have seen DLRP scrappers. Not as many, but last year I did find this one on WDW lanyards [pinpics]40978[/pinpics]. And a quick pinpics search also brought up these UK DS pin [pinpics]69773[/pinpics], [pinpics]72027[/pinpics] and [pinpics]76143[/pinpics] with alerts.

Part of me is nervous that they do exist but since they aren't distributed with the volume as atthe US parks, and there are less traders that use Pinpics or these forums, that they fly under the radar.

There's probably not as much profit in it. Just consider the volume of ebay business (where most of that revenue is generated) for US purchases versus UK, Paris, etc.

There's probably not as much profit in it. Just consider the volume of ebay business (where most of that revenue is generated) for US purchases versus UK, Paris, etc.

Probably this- the easiest way for scrappers to get out there is through cast lanyard trading. Tokyo doesn't allow "official" pin trading anymore. And who knows, Yahoo! Japan auctions might be more strict with bulk sales from China (Ocean might watch the site more, too).

Ebay is definitely the easiest way for them to get their junk out there, and the US sales (and then, US Parks) are the best place to dump the, especially on unknowing families.

do you have this chandu pin? I don't see it listed on pinpics and don't have any info on it

20091206230102.jpg

Probably this- the easiest way for scrappers to get out there is through cast lanyard trading. Tokyo doesn't allow "official" pin trading anymore. And who knows, Yahoo! Japan auctions might be more strict with bulk sales from China (Ocean might watch the site more, too).

Ebay is definitely the easiest way for them to get their junk out there, and the US sales (and then, US Parks) are the best place to dump the, especially on unknowing families.

Well in order to have a Y!J account without using a deputy service, you need to have a Japanese bank account, and I think it's just a whole lot more work/liability with that for scrapper sellers.

Some of the older Cast Lanyard series from DLRP were scrappered too. The Lady and the Tramp wreath was one.

Early Eurodisney pins were originally so poorly recieved that they were already considered scrappers by collectors. There is no point in selling scrappers / counterfeit pins that no one wants in the first place. Now that Disneyland Paris pins have become desirable collectables, I would expect to see more counterfeit pins start to materialize. One of their better security features is that they DO number many of their more highly prized collectable pins. So that may help keep down some of the fakes.

As for the Japan / UK pins, it may be a case of better / more secure control of the merchandise. There have been several recent examples of what turned out to be "genuine - or exceptionally high quality scrappers - proper packaging/background image/no stamp edge and proper painting" from the Disney Soda Fountain and the old World of Disney - New York City store that turned up for sale on Ebay weeks before the genuine pin was later released.

And sadly good old American Greed plays a major part. As demonstrated by the recent case in California, importing knock-off pins is very easy, exceptionally profitable, and when caught the penalities are generally light. Someone speculated that the now confessed and convicted counterfeiter may be out on time served or early due to overcrowding and wanting to keep more "serious crimes" in the limited jail space. When penalities are low, chance of getting caught minimal, and profit potential high, that type of crime flourishes. I would not be surprized if several more major counterfeiters are actively bringing in scrappers to the US on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back