• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Why join or renew D23?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why join or renew D23?

charlesu

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I've been a member for 2 years now and am pondering my renewal. I like some of the pins but they are expensive and releases are not very frequent. I'd like to know your thoughts about the values and benefits of D23 membership? Help me decide about my own renewal.

Um I joined the first year and I have never renewed my membership but I have continued to be able to buy D23 stuff. Is that not normal?

I've been a member for 2 years now and am pondering my renewal. I like some of the pins but they are expensive and releases are not very frequent. I'd like to know your thoughts about the values and benefits of D23 membership? Help me decide about my own renewal.

I was a member the first two years and then dropped it. It flat out wasn't worth it for me.

For my $75 I got:

- Four (albeit nice) magazines that I never read

- A plastic card and paper certificate with my name on it

- A crummy gift

- The opportunity to overpay for special events that I could never go to away because I live nowhere near them, and even if I did I still probably couldn't go because it is impossible to get a ticket when they allow one D23 member to bring three non-D23 members as guests...

- The priveledge to buy overpriced exclusive merchendise

- A bi-weekly email that was typically late and not really interesting or helpful

- Special discounts to places nowhere near me

For me it is just a total joke. I was excited about it when it first launched and now I barely pay attention to it. They do very little for those who don't live near a park. Plus, after I heard some of the garbbage they pulled with NFFC it just gave me a poor opinion of the D23 staff in general.

i was a member the first two years and then dropped it. It flat out wasn't worth it for me.

For my $75 i got:

- four (albeit nice) magazines that i never read

- a plastic card and paper certificate with my name on it

- a crummy gift

- the opportunity to overpay for special events that i could never go to away because i live nowhere near them, and even if i did i still probably couldn't go because it is impossible to get a ticket when they allow one d23 member to bring three non-d23 members as guests...

- the priveledge to buy overpriced exclusive merchendise

- a bi-weekly email that was typically late and not really interesting or helpful

- special discounts to places nowhere near me

for me it is just a total joke. I was excited about it when it first launched and now i barely pay attention to it. They do very little for those who don't live near a park. Plus, after i heard some of the garbbage they pulled with nffc it just gave me a poor opinion of the d23 staff in general.

this^^^^^^!!!!!

We have had so much fun at the D23 events that we have attended, especially the first one at WDW. We had a buffet luncheon at the Diamond Horseshoe with a presentation about D23 and upcoming events. We then all met back together in the evening for a showing of Philharmagic, while the park was closed except for the D23 members to experience Fantasyland attractions (with NO lines) and a dessert station set up in the center area. It made for such a magical night and at the end of the evening we walked through the castle and proceeded down Main Street (all lit up) with no one else around but us. That in and of itself will make us D23 members for as long as D23 exists and we are able to continue on. I guess it is all a matter of perspective about what the membership fees cost versus the value you get, but, we have also met so many wonderful D23 members who are like minded about loving everything Disney, that is is wonderful to be able to share the magic and experience. We love the option to be able to get the pins and LOVE the magazine.

We have always met wonderful staff/CMs who have added to the experience. They have always been courteous and helpful, making it all the more fun. We had a great time at the Expo and look forward to the next one.

Last edited:
We have had so much fun at the D23 events that we have attended, especially the first one at WDW. We had a buffet luncheon at the Diamond Horseshoe with a presentation about D23 and upcoming events. We then all met back together in the evening for a showing of Philharmagic, while the park was closed except for the D23 members to experience Fantasyland attractions (with NO lines) and a dessert station set up in the center area. It made for such a magical night and at the end of the evening we walked through the castle and proceeded down Main Street (all lit up) with no one else around but us. That in and of itself will make us D23 members for as long as D23 exists and we are able to continue on. I guess it is all a matter of perspective about what the membership fees cost versus the value you get, but, we have also met so many wonderful D23 members who are like minded about loving everything Disney, that is is wonderful to be able to share the magic and experience. We love the option to be able to get the pins and LOVE the magazine.

We have always met wonderful staff/CMs who have added to the experience. They have always been courteous and helpful, making it all the more fun. We had a great time at the Expo and look forward to the next one.

I can see this being a great membership if you live close enough or can arrange to be at expos and such. Before, when I was a D23 member, I lived in Alabama - 10 hours away. Maybe now that I live in St. Johns, Fl -2 hours away - I should try again!:hsd:

I dropped it after the first year.

We get the magazine at Barnes & Noble, so I can still get the magazine if I want, but at a 30% off discount.

The first year, there were no events at WDW. If I had been able to have an experience like Debbie and Greg's, then MAYBE I would have renewed. But I don't really feel like I'm missing anything by not joining up again...especially when the major events are in Cali (like the Designer Princess Pin release was).

I don't really think it holds much appeal for people who don't live nearby. I looked into joining a couple of years ago, but living on basically the other side of the world, there was really not much that I could actually do with it, apart from get a free gift. Perhaps they need to think about offering things for people who don't live nearby to the parks-we still want to get in on the Disney fun! :)

We live in Maryland and there is no benefits for us. Maybe if we lived near by. We dropped our membership after the 2nd year.

But, there have been D23 events at WDW that have been great besides just the first one we attended as well. The Scavenger Hunt last summer along with the Destination D events that included the two days of presentations including a special appearance by Dreamfinder and Figment with the Disney Marching Band, Richard Sherman performing some of his beloved songs, highlights of WDW through the years and many famous Disney men and women through the years. It was an honor to see them and a treat to hear their comments and perspectives about Disney past, present and future. There was so much going on, that it is impossible to write about it all.

We know that there are other gatherings, such as at Christmas, and although we live 7 hours away from WDW and can't do everything we would like to do, it is so much fun when we can. I know that my exuberance for D23 won't change some minds, but, as with anything else, everyones experiences are different. We tend to look for the good in situations and be positive. D23 for us so far has lived up to and or surpassed our expectations.

The D23 Expo was amazing and was worth travelling across the country. All the presentations with special guests and Disney Legends mingling amongst the audiences were wonderful. It was unbelievable to sit next to and chat with Floyd Norman at the Legends ceremony. If it were not for D23, that would have never been possible. I realize on an average day that these times are not part of what D23 is all about and the question arises about whether it is worth it for a magazine, gift and opportunity to buy some pins. But, if you think of it in terms about the whole potential Disney experience, it is a small cost to pay..
Sorry for the longwinded thoughts, but, I guess that you can tell that Greg and I LOVE being D23 members. It is one aspect of the Magic of Disney that keeps us excited for the next visit to one of the Resorts or meeting new friends who love DIsney as much as we do.

But, there have been D23 events at WDW that have been great besides just the first one we attended as well.

Well, at least they're picking it up a little, but it didn't really help me, since I only had the first year, and based my decision to renew off what I got that year.

Also, you guys are MUCH bigger classic Disney fans than most of us, I think. I respect the legends and history and such, but I won't go out of my way to hear about them or anything....it's just not my hobby or interest. And as far as travel goes, I'd rather go to Tokyo and go to TDS, my favorite park.

It's just an opinion, but while D23 is probably worth it for fans like you guys, it's a money sink for some of us, and, in the grand Disney tradition, I think Disney knows they can milk a lot of money out of people who love Disney that much. Everything I've seen related to D23 is marked up...even by Disney standards.

Well, at least they're picking it up a little, but it didn't really help me, since I only had the first year, and based my decision to renew off what I got that year.

Also, you guys are MUCH bigger classic Disney fans than most of us, I think. I respect the legends and history and such, but I won't go out of my way to hear about them or anything....it's just not my hobby or interest. And as far as travel goes, I'd rather go to Tokyo and go to TDS, my favorite park.

It's just an opinion, but while D23 is probably worth it for fans like you guys, it's a money sink for some of us, and, in the grand Disney tradition, I think Disney knows they can milk a lot of money out of people who love Disney that much. Everything I've seen related to D23 is marked up...even by Disney standards.

Same here. I can also appreciate it if all that stuff is "your thing" but when I was reading through it I was thinking to myself "who's that....Who's that.....WHO'S THAT?????" (Tangled anyone?). I just don't know a ton about Disney history or specific artists. And I really don't get star struck. I was at the first D23 Expo and was like "is that Donnie Osmond?.....what's over here???". I'm sorry I missed the Jonny Depp appearance....but whatever, not really a big deal for me. Plus, the costs of doing the events (if I even could, which I can't) would really pile up. I just looked up a couple of the ones they have posted now and one was $60 for a two hour tour and another which was a three day/two night deal at some ranch and it was $825 per person and that was if you had two people going!!! It was cheaper if you had four people going but then it was still $638 per person. That's over $320 a night..... Seriously, if planned right we can do a full week at WDW for two people which includes hotel, airfare, tickets and car for under $1,000! There is only one event posted now that was "free" but even then they charged a $5 ticket processing fee!

Paying a membership fee for the opportunity to pay them more money just doesn't sit well with me.

Then there is the whole issue of them letting D23 members bring guests that aren't members. I get that people may want to do these things with their non-Disney-aholic friends but that just flat out isn't fair. A lot of these events sell out fast. If you have a 400 person event there is the potential that only 100 could be members if every member brough three people that aren't. I realize that is the extreme, but if I were a paying member and got shut out of an event and there just one person attending that wasn't a paying member then I'd be extremely angry. That just isn't right. I would be the one that paid for the opportunity, not them, so I should be the one that gets to go, not them.

And the whole NFFC thing....I get that it is all hearsay, but it does sound like something Disney would do. The "word on the street" is that before the launch of D23 Disney went to them saying that they were interested in getting more involved, asking what types of things like would like to see, etc. etc. and then all of a sudden cut off all communication and launched D23 using some of those same ideas. I do get that it is business and that they hold all the cards and copyrights, but if that is what really happened then I see that as completely unethical. If you want to do your own thing then do your own thing, don't steal ideas from your fans because you are too daft to think of your own. Soliciting ideas is one thing if you disclose what you are doing, but to make people think they are a part of something and then shut them out when you've got what you want.....not cool.

Last edited:
I personally LOVE D23 and am a proud charter member. True, I definitely have an advantage living in Southern Cali, as I am able to enjoy many of the wonderful events. But what I look forward to every other year is the Expo. As a huge Disney animation buff, I enjoy getting unique early glimpses at films and the opportunity to hear directly from the creative crew members involved. At the first expo I was able to meet my favorite Disney animator, Andreas Deja, which may not mean a whole lot to most people, but for me that was unforgettable. Last year I was able to meet Paige O'Hara (voice of Belle), my fave animation directors, John Musker and Ron Clements, along with the Tangled filmmakers (who loved the Tangled shoes I made!). Where else would I have had those opportunities? True, D23 is definitely not for everyone, but it IS the club for me! :D (Especially with Destination D this year focusing on the company's 75 years of animation!! I may even enjoy it more than the expo! ;) )

As I mentioned before, our enthusiasm for D23 is not going to change anyones minds and is really not my intent. We have had only positive experiences and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly with some of the events I have mentioned. We were and are not now "star struck" with anyone especially famous but I think anyone who loves Disney would like to be able to talk to someone who was around in the early years of Disney and has been involved in the making of some of the wonderful movies that we know and love.

The beauty of it, is we can make our own choices what level of involvement we want to have, and still all enjoy Disney or Disney products. After all, many of us spend far more on pins than an annual membership costs for D23. It is all a personal choice and I totally appreciate everyones opinion, even if I tend to be a proponent of D23 when others are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back