• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Why no pin love for some characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why no pin love for some characters?

ClanMcDuck

The Richest Ducks in the World
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey folks! After all the trading, PTDs, and princess releases this weekend, we've been starting at a LOT of pins. It got me to thinking: why is it that some characters get considerably less pins made of them than others? Especially ones that would seem to be very popular. Jasmine sure gets a good amount, but we RARELY see Genie or Aladdin pins. Don't really see any Lion King characters, lots of Jessica Rabbit, but not of her hubby Roger.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas about this? Is it licensing stuff/proven character driven sales? I'd LOVE to collect more of certain characters, but many don't seem to get the focus like others.

Jessica and Princess pins have been very popular, so I'm sure that's why we see them more. The Ptd's have been great at using a big variety of characters. Maybe there's a new focus on Ratatouille and the Rescuers, etc.!

It just has to do with popularity. Princesses are the "IN" thing. So are villians. Jessica Rabbit for the guys, Stitch for the fans who think he's cute/funny/etc, and others. If the movies (or characters) make Disney tons of money, they will merchandise the Hell out if them. "Every girl is a princess, etc." Jasmine gets the popularity from the movie Aladdin because she's a princess, and that was when Disney started the variety/ethnic princesses (Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan, Tiana) to round out the 10 Princesses (before Merida, Anna, Elsa joined the fold).

If the movie isn't as popular - e.g. Atlantis, Tarzan, Brother Bear - they won't make many pins (or other merchandise) except maybe during a big anniversary of the movie, simply because they won't sell as much.

So why is there only one pin with Kristoff and Sven so far? 'Frozen' was very popular, and they are popular characters from that movie. What is Disney thinking?

Production of new merchandise takes time. I would expect to see silly amounts of Frozen merchandise and pins by this time next year.

So why is there only one pin with Kristoff and Sven so far? 'Frozen' was very popular, and they are popular characters from that movie. What is Disney thinking?

Elsa and Olaf are the most popular characters in the movie. Hence, why you see a new open edition Elsa pin next month but not Anna pin to go along with it.

I'm a big fan of Jessica ;) An intelligent woman who does everything she can to save her man? Wow! And can sing? What's not to love! (and yes, there are also some ladies who love Jessica <333)

I think the big reason that many Jessica collectors do not love her honey is because, well, they might not have liked his personality in the film and he's not exactly as attractive as his wife :lol: I don't mind some Jessica Rabbit pins with Roger (an example would be this pin) but I just like most of her design pins, especially the DAs, by herself.

Now (and I might annoy some with what I'm about to say next) I believe that the reason some characters don't get a lot of love is because they did not sell well. I know that princesses are very popular, but not so much the Princesses of Color. Although Jasmine does have a lot of merchandise, she is not as sought after like Anna and Elsa, Ariel, or Rapunzel. Still, they do get some love, just not as much as some of their fellow friends :) As for Genie and Aladdin, well I think their fans are much older now and the younger kids do not really care for them. I'm not trying to say that only boys like Genie and Aladdin (I'm sure they have non male fans), but there are Marvel characters they choose to fangirl/boy about.

I don't think licensing is the problem because they created the films and characters or they bought them :lol:, so they don't mind to ask for permission to create merchandise. It has to do with popularity and sales.

Oh, and I LOVE Gravity Falls, and the creator of the show even told his fans (on tumblr) that if they want more merchandise (because we keep asking him why we only got a DVD with 5-6 episodes and not the entire season), they need to buy things that have to do with Gravity Falls or even drop a couple of hints at customer service. He says that they do take those comments into consideration! The more the sales go up, then that will catch Disney's attention. I read that the reason everything Frozen sold out so quickly was because they underestimated how hot this movie would be. Surprisingly, Tangled did not sell out their stuff quickly like Frozen did, and I don't even want to mention Brave and PaTF sales :cry: So they didn't make as much because there would be a small overabundance of stuff. Well, now they know that once they release something that has to do with Frozen, IT WILL SELL OUT QUICK!

Again, it all has to do with popularity and sales :(

Last edited:
In general, for Wreck-it Ralph, there are only a few OE pins.

Im im hoping they put some more core pins out eventually and possibly a booster pack. Would like to see more pins of Calhoun and Calhoun and Felix together. Possibly Qubert as a pin too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back