• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Worst packaging job you've ever received?

Status
Not open for further replies.
eeyorespal said:
If you don't add extra packaging around the pins within a bubble envelope, you will have to add something else to ensure your package is at least 3/4" thick, to be eligible for USPS 1st Class Mail Parcel, and able to purchase delivery confirmation. I keep packing peanuts on hand to increase thickness -- add 2-3 to a pin package and you have added no weight, but you have added the required thickness.

I've only put the pins in bubble envelopes and always sent by First Class, even if it's just one pin. And maybe that's it; I've so far only sent regular pins (no 3D, extravagant dangles, etc.).

So.. Until I get to a store to buy extra padding, I'm sorry to those I've traded with. I feel like I've committed a sin, ha..

I recycle everything - bubble wrap, foam padding, packing peanuts, bubble envelopes, air pillows, etc.

I do also buy bubble envelopes (size #000) in bulk, because my outbound envelopes sometimes exceed my inbound envelopes, and I would have no bubble envelopes on hand. If I buy 50 bubble envelopes that is usually enough to sustain me and DS#2, who also trades (a lot).

If you don't add extra packaging around the pins within a bubble envelope, you will have to add something else to ensure your package is at least 3/4" thick, to be eligible for USPS 1st Class Mail Parcel, and able to purchase delivery confirmation. I keep packing peanuts on hand to increase thickness -- add 2-3 to a pin package and you have added no weight, but you have added the required thickness.

Im still new and trying to figure out how to save on postage. You mean I may be paying more for the packages if they are not thick enough? What's the difference in FC and FC mail parcel? Thanks

I think I said this in a previous thread of this nature, but the best was when I bought like 6 pins and they all came simply thrown into a grocery store bag (just the pins and the bag wasn't even knotted), inside of a HUGE box.

I think I said this in a previous thread of this nature, but the best was when I bought like 6 pins and they all came simply thrown into a grocery store bag (just the pins and the bag wasn't even knotted), inside of a HUGE box.

:lol: I have a feeling that we bought from the same person maybe ? :lol:

But my package also had ... ready for this ?? .... newspaper crumpled and thrown into it. No, it wasn't around the pins, it was just thrown in.

Im still new and trying to figure out how to save on postage. You mean I may be paying more for the packages if they are not thick enough? What's the difference in FC and FC mail parcel? Thanks

You cannot ship first class mail (letter) with delivery confirmation. If the package is not considered thick enough to be a parcel, the receiving post office (for the person you are trading with) may charge the difference between what you paid and priority mail + delivery confirmation (which is $6.40-6.90).

You can only mail parcels via first class mail with delivery confirmation. If you ever use USPS shipping assistant, it tells you that the package has to be at least 3/4" thick. Sometimes, if it is rigid, they may consider it a parcel (only sometimes).

Pack of ten bubble envelops at Wal-Mart - $5
Roll of small bubble wrap at Wal-Mart - $5
Roll of tape at Wal-Mart - $2
Postage for 10 trades with USPS - $20-30
Knowing you can not be flamed out on the boards - PRICELESS

Applecore said:
Pack of ten bubble envelops at Wal-Mart - $5
Roll of small bubble wrap at Wal-Mart - $5
Roll of tape at Wal-Mart - $2
Postage for 10 trades with USPS - $20-30
Knowing you can not be flamed out on the boards - PRICELESS

I purchased 500 #000 envelopes for $30 and 200 #0 envelopes for $20 recently. It's saved me SO much money.

I just need to find a place that has quality bubble wrap for cheap. It can get expensive. :x

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

how I package pins...

First, I recycle any bubble pad package that I can. Same with scraps of bubblewrap. You can get great bulk prices for new bubble wrap packages and other shipping supplies at Uline.com

all pins are wrapped in a layer or two of bubblewrap. To save on amounts, and to increase thickness I will often stick 2 pins back to back and wrap together.
Sometimes I tapes the wrap closed, sometimes I use rubberbands to hold wrap in place. I try to include a "shipping slip" with info on the trade nowadays. Especially since there have been times recently when I have several going out. I can keep track of whats what until the pack is ready to be closed and shipped.

My pins arrive safe, but they have nowhere near the amount of wrapping and tape as tiggermickey, our "queen of wrap."

I purchased 500 #000 envelopes for $30 and 200 #0 envelopes for $20 recently. It's saved me SO much money.

I just need to find a place that has quality bubble wrap for cheap. It can get expensive. :x

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Would you mind sharing your secret supplier of envelopes? PLEASE? OMG!

As far as bubble wrap, I bought a roll of it about two months ago and still have yet to use it. I have been recycling what I get from trades as much as possible. Not to avoid using mine, but it just seemed sensible. But then again, I do own a hybrid...lol

Would you mind sharing your secret supplier of envelopes? PLEASE? OMG!

As far as bubble wrap, I bought a roll of it about two months ago and still have yet to use it. I have been recycling what I get from trades as much as possible. Not to avoid using mine, but it just seemed sensible. But then again, I do own a hybrid...lol

Okay...are you ready...? *drum roll* eBay! That is all. If I can remember the link, I'll let you know. I'm thinking about purchasing the poly mailers. They're great for over stuffing if you have a large trade.
I used to recycle bubble wrap but my OCD kills me. I have to have everything perfectly aligned. There can't be any tears in my bubble wrap. It's bad. :x

How about how many times an envelope gets relabeled and just has layer after layer of tape to the point that it feels like cardboard... Then someone still thinks... I can use this again... LOL... I had one used at least 5 times and I almost feel obligated to use it again like some form of a chain letter that I don't want to break...

How about how many times an envelope gets relabeled and just has layer after layer of tape to the point that it feels like cardboard... Then someone still thinks... I can use this again... LOL... I had one used at least 5 times and I almost feel obligated to use it again like some form of a chain letter that I don't want to break...

Oh, yes. I've had that done a numerous of times. It's crazy! LOL.

I shop ebay for packing supplies, if I'm not in a rush, can sometimes grab an auction that went low.

But if I want it now with no hassle, or I need a combination of things, I usually buy from UPAK (add the www and .com). Their prices are very competitive and their combined shipping deals are the best.

Worst packaging job was not by a trader but by the Disney store itself.

Take one Large box 2' x 3' x 1.5'
instert a plastic bag with 4 pins protected by ... drum roll please

Absolutely nothing

Send via the mail and hope for the best - nothing was damaged but it was certainly not aided by the large volume of empty air in the box.

The worst packing job I ever received a pin in...a McDonald's bag. Yep, that's it, the bag. They folded the pin inside, slapped a label on it and mailed. Oh, and it was the smallest paper bag McDonald's makes!!

My biggest pet peeve, pins sent the cheapest way possible, in a white letter sized envelope, with no packing. Most never make it to me, just the paper envelope with a hole in it.

And don't even get me started on pins arriving with postage due. My carrier has been instructed not to deliver postage dues any more. It's becoming a very big problem in the last couple of years.

Wow! All of these sound horrible! I just have to say to everyone that I've traded with, thank you. The "worst" thing I ever got was a pin in a bubble envelope and that's it. I don't even mind that at all, at least it had some protection.

Hi KIM
I have gotten shipping like that with pins...and did someone mention"Queen of Wrap"? :lol::wavey::lol::lol::lol:

p.s....thats why my pkgs comes with a warning!

Last edited:
Sounds like I've done pretty well out of all this. In the past I have been delivered an empty envelope (it never had anything in it ever) and some shoes wrapped in a bin liner only but nothing bad pin wise. Worst I've had was in a bubble mailer but it arrived here safe and sound and made me do the "most wanted" dance :D

I buy all of my mailers on ebay: justpoundsandounces is the user name I believe. Hope it's ok to post that, but I love them and have bought from them for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back