• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Would this make you feel "used"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would this make you feel "used"?

Spiffie

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Thru pin trading I have "met" someone who over the course of the last year has asked me to pick pins up for them during my vacations. I have been to WDW 5 times in the last 11 months. I am happy to help people add to their collections. Often I pick up as many as 10 pins - rack,LE, DVC, AP holder, etc. I charge this person MY cost (discounted because of AP) plus tax plus whatever it cost to ship to them.

I found out today that many of the pins I have purchased for them, they are trying to re-sell for a profit on eBay. I can't believe that I have never known this. Had I known, I would not have picked them up. I realize that what you do with the pins are your business, but I do this for fun. Now, if you want a couple extra to trade, I am good with that, too. But, I feel used for my discount and travel privileges to help this person scalp someone else for a profit! :mad:

What say you? Am I over reacting???

i think this is bad,cant belive they have done that to you without statin there intensions before askin you to get the pins

You're definitely not overreacting. This is why I normally do not pick up pins for other people (especially for overseas collectors/traders) unless I have met or known the person for quite some time. As daxsmith pointed out, you just do not know their true intentions sometimes.

I don't think you're overreacting at all. Granted, it's true like you said, they have a right to do with the pins what they want once they've bought them, but you also have a right not to be their supplier now that you know. If I were in your shoes, I'd feel the same way you do.

I have to agree with the other posters. If I asked you to pick up pins for me, then I would consider them for my own collection. Not to re-sell them! I may trade them for others I might want more, but never sell.

I agree, you're not overreacting. It sounds like they're taking advantage of you and that's not right. It's one thing to ask for pins for your collection, It's another to try and make a profit off you.

I would be real upset if that happened to me! you could still pick up pins for them but charge full price + tax and shipping for you if they continue to sell the pins you pick up for them and tell them why.

Hi Stacey,

Can't believe this has happened to you too. You are not overreacting one bit. Picking up pins for people takes a lot more time than anyone realizes. If you are like me, you check the pins out to make sure they look good and do not have loose posts etc. Then there is waiting in line to pay, and being aware of the release dates of the pins the entire time you are on vacation. When you get home, it costs you an envelope, because you do not charge them for this, and then for them to go out and make a profit on it, seems selfish, because they have cost you so much extra time out of your vacation. I would gladly do it for those that really want the pin for their own collection, but never for those that will sell it on ebay, unless they tell me they are going to sell the pins. At least, they are being honest and upfront.

That IS horrible! :mad:

Yes, you are being used. And no, you are not over reacting. That is really crappy what that person is doing. I would stop immediately.

I've had incredibly kind people here at DPF pick up various pins for me and I treasure them (both the pin and the people :)). The reason I trouble anyone to pick up a pin for me is because I want it so badly! These pins stay in my collection. I wouldn't even ask someone to pick up a pin that I felt I was just going to use as a trader. Even that is too much as far as I'm concerned.

Wow, how much does that other person suck...:squint:

Last edited:
Yeah....to do it that many time without telling you their intentions is a little shady. If a friend of mine wanted me to get pins and I knew they were going to sell them on ebay, I'd still get them. But if I didn't know them personally, I wouldn't. And I'd especially feel blindsided if they hid what they were going to do with them.

WHEW! Ok. Thank you all for agreeing with me. I really don't mind picking up pins to help others out with their collections. Several people here have done so for me. I don't even mind if you want a few traders. We all started somewhere and having traders enables us to sometimes get things further down the road. But to outright put them on eBay is blatant misuse of me and my time at the park!

The main things I see wrong with this was that he used your discount to profit and using you at WDW. He is completely in the wrong and a conman.

However, him selling a pin for profit is literally no different from him getting a good deal on a pin trade. People don't like to admit pins have value, dollar values, attached to them but they do. So if he traded your $12 pin that you bought for him for a Disney Auctions pin worth $25 then he made a "profit".

I'm ready to be flamed for this. :lol: It had to be said.

Last edited:
The main things I see wrong with this was that he used your discount to profit and using you at WDW. He is completely in the wrong and a conman.

However, him selling a pin for profit is literally no different from him getting a good deal on a pin trade. People don't like to admit pins have value, dollar values, attached to them but they do. So if he traded your $12 pin that you bought for him for a Disney Auctions pin worth $25 then he made a "profit".

I'm ready to be flamed for this. :lol: It had to be said.

Ok, if it were for HIS collection. And if someone wants to trade a $25 pin for a $12 pin, I hope I am there to trade!!!

I'd feel used unless I knew about it ahead of time. I have friends that I buy pins for that I KNOW sell on Ebay, but at least I know about it. Like other posters have said, it takes a lot of time out of your vacation going from park to park picking up pins for people. You figure you're spending at least a good hour or so a day shopping and it might be for you as well but if has LE's involved you can only buy 2 so you have to go from store to store etc. Sometimes you need to go to a specific hotel and that's a real pain in the butt... lol. Anywho, I'll get off my soapbox, I don't mind getting pins for people as long as they appreciate it.

You were definitely used and abused. Now I wonder if all the pins I've sold for cost have somehow made their way to the Bay for profit. Guess I'll have to start asking. Stacey, stuff will leave tomorrow for you. You are gonna love it!!!

You are totally in the right. You are take timeout of YOUR vacation, to help someone out. I would certainly feel taken advantage of in this situation, and i'm quite sure I would not be purchasing any more pins for them in the future.

A perfect example is my group "friends of iamdisneydan" It is not for profit!
It is to help fellow traders get pins they need for their personal collections. I do get a lot of pins for overseas traders, however,
I know their intentions and that the pins are for them and they also, not at my request, always buy me a pin or two for my trouble.

whether they buy me a pin for my trouble or not, if I ver found out they are reselling them, I would never buy them a pin again and also probably let them know how I feel and that what they are doing SU%#S!

You have every right to feel betrayed. Shames on them taking advantage of a nice person (you)

Can't say it any better than all here who have already said it...that was not a very nice thing for that person to do to you at all! I would also feel very taken advantage of and discontinue buying pins for them in the future.

I am so sorry this has happened to you!

That person should have told you that the pins were for resale, and he/she should have given you a cut of the profit for your trouble.

You are in the clear for feeling used. Yes, that's happened to just about everyone who's in the pin trading family at one time or another. If the truth comes out, all I can say, respectfully to all, is the term, "Everybody gets one." That is, if I traded with someone and they already have the pin/already in the mail, then that's their 'one'. I love helping folks out, especially those who collect; yes, for collector friends and family, there's 'more than one'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back