• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Would you consider this PODM a Grail Scene?!!

Is this Little Mermaid Scene an Ultimate PODM Grail?

• Yes

Votes: 40 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 31.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you consider this PODM a Grail Scene?!!
I'm not saying it's authentic or fake, But to use in talk or somebody's book from Chicago as the authority on a pins authenticity is beyond ridiculous!!!! Neither of these are or were involved in the pin making process therefore have no expert authority to say. E-rudolf is just another pin collector. thats all. The only way to get true authenticity is to go through Disney, otherwise anything said here is just pure speculation one way or the other.

Having said that, Angel, if that is your pin, you have a great scene and congrats on it!!!!

I for one am going to believe in innocent until PROVEN guilty!! The american way!!!

Pin Talk is the forum for Pin Pics. Know that the research and painstaking man hours that go in to listing authentic pins is taken very seriously at Pin Pics. If you use Pin Pics, as you clearly do, then why question the books or resources they promote. I'm sighting two references for collectors to use to verify PODM information for themselves. If you want to know if you have an authentic "grail" scene then do the research.

Furthermore, when someone like Ms. Rudolf researches a single subject for hundreds or thousands of hours and publishes a book about it (PODMs), then that makes her a subject matter expert, with or without Disney. For example, a college professor doesn't need to build a rocket ship at NASA to know how it flies. You believe the professor because he's an expert with authority to teach you.

This isn't about being proven guilty or innocent, but simply put, if it's too good to be true then it probably is.

Pin Talk is the forum for Pin Pics. Know that the research and painstaking man hours that go in to listing authentic pins is taken very seriously at Pin Pics. If you use Pin Pics, as you clearly do, then why question the books or resources they promote. I'm sighting two references for collectors to use to verify PODM information for themselves. If you want to know if you have an authentic "grail" scene then do the research.

Furthermore, when someone like Ms. Rudolf researches a single subject for hundreds or thousands of hours and publishes a book about it (PODMs), then that makes her a subject matter expert, with or without Disney. For example, a college professor doesn't need to build a rocket ship at NASA to know how it flies. You believe the professor because he's an expert with authority to teach you.

This isn't about being proven guilty or innocent, but simply put, if it's too good to be true then it probably is.

WooHoo I am an expert too.... LOL... I spent over a thousand hours on these silly pins... Never wrote a book, but own a website... Bwahahaha....

Did anyone check the seller's feedback?

This person bought a lot of TLM cells on EBay very recently. What does that tell you? LOL ....

Ok, I checked again and granted this Ariel/Eric scene is not in the lot he purchased only few days ago on Ebay. But, it is very likely that (s)he purchased that one too.

I would expect more "grail" scenes from this seller soon.

Last edited:
I don't know about the authenticity of this specific pin, but I have bought TLM film pieces off ebay (for an art project that I will hopefully get around to one day) and I received several of this specific scene in each lot.

I don't know about the authenticity of this specific pin, but I have bought TLM film pieces off ebay (for an art project that I will hopefully get around to one day) and I received several of this specific scene in each lot.

Thanks for this info. I'm going to have to try and remember this, because I too, find it very hard to believe that we could have gone a year without a scene like that surfacing before. I'm going with the "modified" pin theory.

Are there any other film cels for different movies that you saw offered, so we might be aware of modifications for other film pins?

Did anyone check the seller's feedback?

This person bought a lot of TLM cells on EBay very recently. What does that tell you? LOL ....

When I read this the first time, I was thinking cels like people sometimes refer to PODMs... But nope, actual film cels not pins. Just wanted to reiterate this in case someone didn't follow right away.

Okay, looking at the person who sells the cel pieces. According to their history/feedback they have recently sold an Alice lot, Monsters Inc lot, Jungle Book lot, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Pinocchio, Dumbo and not sure what else. Not to the same person as the TLM lot, but we should still be mindful.

The Jungle Book one is a little more worrisome because with something like this TLM it's obscurity is a sign that there is an issue. The Jungle Book pieces were from the clip actually used for the PODM. So someone could replace a log, or tree, or butt, with a nicer piece from the same scene and those would be harder to suss out that the pin may not be pure. Same for Cinderella, actually.

Last edited:
When I read this the first time, I was thinking cels like people sometimes refer to PODMs... But nope, actual film cels not pins. Just wanted to reiterate this in case someone didn't follow right away.

Yup. (S)he bought TLM film clippings. Probably to make new grails ... LOL ...

And one last thing and them I'm done spamming this thread. I'm agnostic about someone changing the scene in a PODM cel. Have at it, and as long as a letter from Disney legal doesn't show up in the mail when word gets out, you're probably good. But... If you sell or trade it, it needs to be DISCLOSED that it is a modified pin. No passing it off that it came from Disney that way.

Has anyone thought to ask the seller? In my experience ebay crooks (shillers, liars etc.) seem to be pretty stupid and tend to confess to their wrong doings and in most cases defend them!! Maybe a nice note along the lines of "did you know that the pin you just sold was modified?"

Very sad to see that once again an unscrupulous douche has nicked yet another pin collector and according to the poll 74% of those that responded answered to the affirmative (I voted no). I also tend to shy away from those that say NO REFUND, however as you should all know if an item is "not as listed" you can return it no matter what the seller says.

OP I hope you did not trade or pay too big if you got one of these scenes, I know anothermadhatterfan said they bought that particular one so at least they have buyer protection on their sides.

*Merryweather PI! Go Selen that's how you get to the bottom of the dirt.....ya got to dig a little deeeeeeper!!

**Side, side note....if you look through the sellers history you will see that they had some suspicious shilling activity going on with a bidder named derekblackford55 (7 feedback). So much so that nearly EVERY auction that was not a buy it now and over a few dollars was bid up by said bidder. Why does it not surprise me that a seller that "creates" fake PODM's is also shilling?

Last edited:
You can buy a cell from a site from the uk and theres a san diego site that also sells scenes i know this because I bought some. This is when i first started collecting and when I didnt even know the day that we got to go in an hour early into the park that that was the day the lion king podms came out so i was unable to get one like three times that day.... so out of sadness i bought a film cell from the lion king and a batman one they are awesome I can post a picture if anyone would like to see. So i personally believe it to be a fake because on the web site you can ask for a scene and they will try their best. It is actually really easy to pull the podm apart. i was shown by a friend who isn't a pin trader and he said its really easy to take it apart without damaging it. But on a lighter note I would still keep it. its a pretty scene and if its for your personal collection I dont see the harm in it. If people are trying to pass them off as real podms from the actual series for finical gain or to get better pins, that is not right. If you tell someone that its one that isnt a real one and they still want it thats fine. There is my 2 cents.

Hmm...

I'm pretty certain that it's fake due to all the reasons Laney pointed out, and also because of the general surfacing of such a rare, impossible scene so late in the game... I know there are certain Lion King ones that are pretty HTF, as well as some scenes with Genie in Aladdin that hardly anyone has seen before, but they're all listed on the PODM Library on Pintalk, which I can almost swear by :lol:

I don't think it'd be very hard at all to forge a PODM scene- a few years ago I bought some Alice in Wonderland film cells off eBay for 50p, which is under a dollar- free postage, too! :lol: They came in a strip, which would be exactly the same as the frames in the PODM pins if they were cut up individually. I think it'd be way cool to make a custom PODM scene, as long as it is known that it's a customized PODM, and it stays in your collection/you give it to someone as a gift (and they know it's origin, too)... selling or trading fake PODMs is bad :( Imagine buying an average 'Flynn only' scene Tangled PODM and just putting a big hair scene in there instead, then selling or trading it?! D:

It's also a good thing it is pretty obvious it's a custom PODM- to me it looks like they may have even only replaced the actual scene, and kept the laminated sprocket holes and soundtrack from the previous scene, it looks a little pieced together... but who knows? :lol: Also, does the soundtrack match that moment in the film? I don't know if I can recall it being a particularly loud moment in the film, which is what the soundtrack shows- but don't hold me to it! If it was Aladdin we're talking about I'd know in a jiffy, but it isn't... Little Mermaid diehard fans?! :lol:

Now that I read all the comments.

i do call fake for almost all the reasons everyone has been saying.

i have been working on the something for awhile now, you can buy I keychain cel on eBay for ,99 and its quite easy to break the pin open. i couldn't and wouldn't pass the PODM as authentic or even trade it, I would tell everyone how I did it and offer to do the same at cost it only takes about 30 min to do it so not much labor is required at all.

i would not pay 350 I would pay the cost of the PODM than the cel double the price than add labor, but to pass this off as a real cel and take money from an unexpected collector is low and should be punished. Excluding all if the auction states this is a custom PODM than everyone is free to bid as they feel is the worth of the PODM.

so here is what Im talking about

image_zps548a3732.jpg

image_zps7632f862.jpg

I would buy a cheaper Dumbo PODM and pay someone to put a grail scene it in for me, for my personal collection. I dont see anything wrong with that. however, if someone tried to trade one that like, that's all kinds of terrible.

I got one of those film cell pics as a gift one year. It is something you can make yourself :) I think I've seen them for around £5 on eBay.

I would buy a cheaper Dumbo PODM and pay someone to put a grail scene it in for me, for my personal collection. I dont see anything wrong with that. however, if someone tried to trade one that like, that's all kinds of terrible.

A actually agree... kind of.lol I really don't want people to start doing this and ruin the value of the collection I worked so hard to complete... I also don't even know where I would go to find somebody to actually disassemble the pin and put it back together. It's just a slippery slope for the series.

they should have a make-your-own-PODM. they wouldnt be worth what the original PODMs are, but that way I could get my baby Dumbo scene!

On an entirely different note this might explain how certain Ebay sellers (especially one comes to mind from North East) are able to always produce Grail scenes on Ebay.

If a person living away from the parks is able to sell grail scenes for hit PoDMs week after week, it gets attention. I suspect that there might be more pins than we know that are tampered with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back