• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Your Thoughts Needed on Threads/Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your Thoughts Needed on Threads/Drama
Another topic that has come up in the chat room has been better enforcement of infractions. The mods try their best but they can't catch every curse word, personal attack, threat, etc. The best thing to do when you see something like that, be it against yourself or a friend, is to click the report button. That should be the first thing you do before you post a comeback, try to defend your friend, or anything else that just adds to the drama.

I think the problem with this is, again, without a defined set of rules and consequences, potential "reporters" have no reason to believe that anything will be done to actually curb behavior. People will talk their way out of trouble, especially "friends" of mods who always seem to be given the benefit of the doubt (oh, he really didn't mean that, he's having a justified bad day etc). That goes for many of the boards I read, not just this one; it gets hard to separate friendships from appropriate moderating. And then I'm sure that there'd be some sort of attempt at "payback" for snitches.

But if there are clear rules, clear punishments, clear and regular enforcement, people WILL get the idea and clean up their act on their own. But that can't come from the community it has to come from the mods/admins.

I lean toward getting rid of the pre-sale threads but, since they don't affect me either way, my opinion on this probably isn't that relevant. At the very least, DPF should require that payment be as a 'purchase' rather than as 'gift', to address the issues raised by Moe. (I'd like to see this applied to all sales on the forum, but that should probably be addressed in a separate thread.)

As for the 'what time are you lining up?' threads, I don't see the point in eliminating them. Yes, they may make people more anxious about getting the pins, but if that information isn't posted here it will be somewhere else. I think the key to dealing with the drama is to have stiffer infractions for certain behaviour...and more mods so that threads can be shut down more quickly when they get out of hand (our beleaguered mods seem to be under the astonishing delusion that they are entitled to have lives outside DPF :))

+9,999,999 to the first paragraph!! Fraud is rampent folks. Mod's, if you want to protect your members and your forum, please outlaw requesting paypal as gift. If you know the person, and you trust them, maybe PM and offer gift for a lower price, but honestly on anything under $50, why bother?

Second paragaph, I think if DSF does this random wristband thing more often, the campouts will be pointless and those threads will turn into "who's going" not "what time should I go." Which is more friendly.

Im all for allowing all of the stuff to continue. It shouldn't matter so what if it create problems . I just hope in the long run soda fountain doesn't have anything eles happen like a riot or knifes pulled out at people in line. This past weekend I was gone to be jumped and few release before a homeless came in the morning a pulled a knife on me. all this needs to stop. continue with the presale sale thread and post about releases at wdi, dlr/ wdw. all should be known. this called freedom of speech and also we should allowed to say what else we like maybe instead of pins.

I agree with markheardjr. I'm on board with the lottery system he has presented previously, if DSF refuses to do anything about upping the LE sizes. I would also dare to say that DSF could up the edition sizes to 750 and still sell them all out. People like the designs and will buy them regardless. The only danger being if the pins doing well is truly fueled by greed alone.

I think people need to chill, breath and proof read before posting. Would you say it to someone's face? No? Then don't post. *simples* :)

I am from the opposite side of the fence on this. You attack me and I will come back at you. Some people only get the point when you throw it back into their face.

thats how we all are, but thats my point. the first attack should never had been made so you should have never feel like you need to attack anyone.

Im all for allowing all of the stuff to continue. It shouldn't matter so what if it create problems . I just hope in the long run soda fountain doesn't have anything eles happen like a riot or knifes pulled out at people in line. This past weekend I was gone to be jumped and few release before a homeless came in the morning a pulled a knife on me. all this needs to stop. continue with the presale sale thread and post about releases at wdi, dlr/ wdw. all should be known. this called freedom of speech and also we should allowed to say what else we like maybe instead of pins.

LOL, from all accounts, you started the argument with the bum and you were arrested this last weekend. I think your one of the problems!

Sorry, no more drama llama

Second paragaph, I think if DSF does this random wristband thing more often, the campouts will be pointless and those threads will turn into "who's going" not "what time should I go." Which is more friendly.

I hope they do random wristbands of 150 to start with. If they have leftover wristbands with 150, then let everyone get 2 pins. If they hand out 150, then go to a second set of 150 and change the release to 1 per person.

Hate to be that guy, but let's keep this on topic. This should be a how can we reduce drama on the forums thread, not how can DSF do a better job managing releases.

I hope they do random wristbands of 150 to start with. If they have leftover wristbands with 150, then let everyone get 2 pins. If they hand out 150, then go to a second set of 150 and change the release to 1 per person.

I'm thinking the days of only 150 or slighter above that are over. There will probably always be a gathering of 300 plus people, going foward. I think that DSF has created a monster and each new rule to contain it only makes it worse.

It should be interesting to see what amount of people will show up for their wristbands this time.

I for one will not be doing that. IF a pin comes out that I want and someone here is pre-selling and the price is right I will buy it. I would rather buy from someone here than from someone on eBay.

More than likely, a preseller on here is just trying to make more money by avoiding eBay fees. Just because they are on this forum doesn't mean they are above eBay. Most probably have them listed in both places and just hope they sell here. Often they list the same price and hope someone, maybe you, will just pay them and they can save their 10%. Presellers are trying to get more money and get ahead of the game. They know if everyone waits until the pins are in hand that the prices drop quickly as people are trying to sell theirs first to get their money. Pins lately have sold high, then drop pretty quick after release, and then slowly rise. It's your money, do as you wish. But take a step outside yourself for a minute and see the macroeconomics of the situation. You'll save money and create less hype.

The first pin I remember that were presold and created tons of hype was the Brave marquee. Selling for $85-$90 a few weeks before release. It was the first new Pixar film (not a sequel) since Up and the first Pixar Princess ever and first princess since Tangled which we all know was and is super hot. I'm sure you can find the threads about those presales. I know preselling is older than that, pretrading even older. But the rampant preselling level we see now is newer. Brave was an opportunity for newer traders to be completionists for a movie/princess/genre. Many of you are or aspire to be. But that release was turned up a notch thanks to the buzz generated by the $85 marquee sales before the release. Presales create hype. They make people fearful if they don't go super early they can't get their pins because they would be priced out of their range. They draw attention to greedy profiteers. They create unfomfortable situations of waiting and anxiety. Just say "No" to presales!!

I'd sign your pledge!

This is exactly what won't keep things civil and on topic.

So, let's keep things civil and on topic.

Regarding gift payments, I think it's a great idea for anyone selling (pre-sales or otherwise) to figure in fees or at least letting a member know what the price would be to include fees upon inquiring about an item. But for pre-sales especially, it's just good sense to purchase it as goods and make sure you are protected if something goes wrong.

Last edited:
I for one, like the 'live from...' threads because if I am not there (or not there yet...) I like to know what is going on. I don't know anyone from here to get texts or phone calls from to update me like a lot of the other socal traders do.

More than likely, a preseller on here is just trying to make more money by avoiding eBay fees. Just because they are on this forum doesn't mean they are above eBay. Most probably have them listed in both places and just hope they sell here. Often they list the same price and hope someone, maybe you, will just pay them and they can save their 10%. Presellers are trying to get more money and get ahead of the game. They know if everyone waits until the pins are in hand that the prices drop quickly as people are trying to sell theirs first to get their money. Pins lately have sold high, then drop pretty quick after release, and then slowly rise. It's your money, do as you wish. But take a step outside yourself for a minute and see the macroeconomics of the situation. You'll save money and create less hype.

The first pin I remember that were presold and created tons of hype was the Brave marquee. Selling for $85-$90 a few weeks before release. It was the first new Pixar film (not a sequel) since Up and the first Pixar Princess ever and first princess since Tangled which we all know was and is super hot. I'm sure you can find the threads about those presales. I know preselling is older than that, pretrading even older. But the rampant preselling level we see now is newer. Brave was an opportunity for newer traders to be completionists for a movie/princess/genre. Many of you are or aspire to be. But that release was turned up a notch thanks to the buzz generated by the $85 marquee sales before the release. Presales create hype. They make people fearful if they don't go super early they can't get their pins because they would be priced out of their range. They draw attention to greedy profiteers. They create unfomfortable situations of waiting and anxiety. Just say "No" to presales!!

I'd sign your pledge!

i feel like we don't have a right to force pre-sellers to stop sales on the forum, what are we like what .10% of pin sales? it won't fix anything we should just learn to just say no. its like SF they took happy meals toys away from all the kids because a few are fat. why punish everyone its not fair to everyone.

This is exactly what won't keep things civil and on topic.

So, let's keep things civil and on topic.

Regarding gift payments, I think it's a great idea for anyone selling (pre-sales or otherwise) to figure in fees or at least letting a member know what the price would be to include fees upon inquiring about an item. But for pre-sales especially, it's just good sense to purchase it as goods and make sure you are protected if something goes wrong.

If you pay goods and they don't deliver and don't have enough to cover the refund Paypal will lock their account. The people who don't deliver need to be taught a lesson once in a while.

To clear the air...dsf isnt an unsafe place....people make things happen to them....and then wonder why people r upset....

Why u would even bring up the events of the relese is beyond me...

You are not the victim...u put ur hands on a woman...

To be honest, I think the drama is unavoidable no matter what. You can ban certain threads, but those who seek drama will just find it elsewhere. I feel bad that mods have had to step up more lately and enforce rules a little more harshly, but at the end of the day I thank them for listening to the members and doing the best they can to keep us all happy and safe. However, please keep in mind the more restrictions we add to this forum, the more freedoms we lose. JMO

I for one will not be doing that. IF a pin comes out that I want and someone here is pre-selling and the price is right I will buy it. I would rather buy from someone here than from someone on eBay.
I wouldn't. Not for a pre-sale anyway. At least with e-bay you have some form of recourse if it falls through. Not so much here with the paying as gift and all that. And I DO buy a lot on here. Just not presages.

*gets on a soap box even though most people have no idea who I am* I like the"live from..." Threads and I don't think they cause the problem. I think the problem isn't even the pre sellers in general. It is the select few here who cause the drama either for personal gain and/or personal amusement. Unfortunately, the rest of us here are excitable and emotional/financially invested in this hobby and, for that reason, we fall into the drama trap and it all goes to shite.

Even though I don't know a single soul on this board in real life, I think the answer is banning the trouble makers. If you make a massive scene on here or at a pin event event, you shouldn't be allowed here any more.

Just my two cents...

Okay, so I'm sure we've all seen the "other" thread. This is a fine example of people unwilling to police themselves. That thread needed ONE reply, "For the safety of DPF members, we believe this person is banned from DSF due to an incident at last week's release. Protect yourself, don't deal with him. We've reported this post to moderator" Report to moderator, and then wait for a Mod to show up and lock/delete the thread. But no, instead multiple people, including this thread's OP! just have to respond, sometimes multiple times. Why?

"Piling On" is another thing that would be added to my list of things that need to be dealt with.

Last edited:
I like what I read earlier about only paying when goods are in hands of pre-sellers as a way of dealing with the rising amounts of people doing it. I did one pre-sale during the jessica release and one trade both for out of state people only. On the pre-sale i did not give out paypal info until pins were in hand. If people continue to buy from pre-sellers, then this is how it should be done. Buyers should insist on it as a whole. That is their only form of protection right now in this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back