• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

A better, brighter DSF lineup idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
A better, brighter DSF lineup idea

Psycho Pixie

Vacations are a grand thing
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
In the Wristband info thread, and in other threads in the past regarding DSF line ups... Concerns have been expressed about finding a better, safer way for DSF to run these pinsane releases.

so far the idea's i have seen are:

• sign in sheet
  • ticket under seats
  • random starting number
  • all surprise release, no announced releases
  • one pin per guest limit
  • increase edition sizes

I think we need to all work together to find the best solution. If we as a large group, present an idea that we think will be effective, safe, and less time consuming for the staff and us, they just might implement it.

Here's what I need from everyone who wants to be involved in this:

• Sane, thought out, discussion.
  • Your opinions: the pro and con of each idea above.
  • NO drama, no finger pointing, no passive aggressive BS, and no blaming other people for problems. ((I shouldn't have to say that but....))

Once we have hashed it out, I will need someone ELSE to volunteer to get the signatures or whatever, and present the info to DSF. I do NOT have time for that or I would do it myself.

So lets put an end to this:
Fotolia-freaked-out-lady.jpg

and create some of this:
happy-relaxed-senior-sitting-in-park-iii-thumb23797292.jpg

Last edited:
Like I said on the last thread guys, remember this:

SOLUTION MUST BE CAMP OUT FREE

Any solution that involves a campout is probably no better than the status quo. That means if we all have to camp out to get a random number, or camp out to sign a sign up sheet or camp out to get a seat in a theatre, it all yields the same problem.

I submit RANDOM RELEASES as my solution.

The Best solution is No announced releases, Just put the pins out, and announce that "X, Y, and Z have been released" Just like the Calendar surprise pin. There were no lineups, no craze, yet it sold out on saturday (one day later). Word of mouth does it's job!!! Leave it at that and everyone will be safe!! (NOT HAPPY, SAFE!!!!)

BTW, we can talk about this as much as we want! Theresa is too arrogant to see that this system needs to change, and will not listen to suggestion to do otherwise. the only solution we have as a community to effect change is to boycott a said release. This will never happen because someone will still buy the pins and everybody knows it (Including Ed and Theresa)

Pro, No LINEUPS for Wristbands.

Con. Someone may miss out on a pin because they could not schedule around a known release date (which is not a major con, because this still happens with known release dates. Just ask Markheard Jr. Who had to miss last week due to unfortunate circumstances)

BTW, we can talk about this as much as we want! Theresa is too arrogant to see that this system needs to change, and will not listen to suggestion to do otherwise. the only solution we have as a community to effect change is to boycott a said release. This will never happen because someone will still buy the pins and everybody knows it (Including Ed and Theresa)

That would be beautiful. I'm a fan of sticking it to the man screw Tangled! BOYCOTT BOYCOTT! hahahah ok back to reality because theres always that one kid in class who tells the teacher what everyone is up to hahaha

As far as the Random Release Idea:

Cons:You don't get pins. (This is the biggest problem people have to face. It comes down to this: are you really going to jump off a bridge because you didn't get a pin?? No... so in the end, we still have a lot of more important things in life such as family, friends, loved ones, jobs, pets, etc... pins aren't a matter of life and death.) And... constant FB checking hahahaha!

Pro: No camp outs. Whoever decides "hey i can line up TWO days before" will no longer have to because they won't know when it is released. No Fights over a line. No more "they cut" rants. No more "unfairness" complaints.

I can't tell if I'm joking about this or not, but I'm genuinely curious about the feedback on this, knowing that it will likely never be a real answer, and certainly not a valid answer for this weekend's release. BUT:

Widen Edition Sizes.

It seems like too much to hope for for DSF OE pins, but what about LE 2000, limit 2 per head?

PRO: More people can get the pins they're after, they're available a little longer at the store, they don't sell at 300x their list price on eBay because many more of them exist, etc. Heck, even with a wider edition size even considering the idea of selling them online like the Disney Store does, so we outside of Southern California have a fair shot at getting them, too. (NEWSFLASH: Tangled and UP fans live outside of California, too!! :D)

CON: Bigger edition sized pins aren't as coveted by collectors, even with any limited edition size people are going to still going to clamor for them, etc.

Just a thought, I guess. I'm kind of over the idea of LE 300 pins and yet my collection is comprised of almost ALL LE 300 pins. I'm just so over the fear and anxiety of completing my collection let alone the finances associated with paying for said pins, and my heart hurts every time there's a giant fight on the forums over a pin...

Last edited:
Well, I always say "larger edition sizes." I know that doesn't help for things already in the pipeline. And I can understand the rationale for keeping the BTs at 300. But with those, most of the popular movies have already been released. But marquees are no longer 150 and people lived. For years, DSF pins survived the "2-week, then phone orders are allowed." The trick will be finding the sweet spot where the edition size is large enough to negate having to line up for hours, and can arrive casually on the first day or two of release. And small enough that they don't hang around too long. And a month is NOT too long. Maybe that means for some less popular characters/movies LE300s are still appropriate. If pins still sell out in 3 days, a week, a month... a year from now they will still be "unavailable" and have trade/resell value.

Last edited:
Well, I always say "larger edition sizes." I know that doesn't help for things already in the pipeline. And I can understand the rationale for keeping the BTs at 300. But with those, most of the popular movies have already been released. But marquees are no longer 150 and people lived. For years, pins survived the "2-week, then phone orders are allowed." The trick will be finding the sweet spot where the edition size is large enough to negate having to line up for hours, and can arrive casually on the first day or two of release. And small enough that they don't hang around too long. And a month is NOT too long. Maybe that means for some less popular characters/movies LE300s are still appropriate. If pins still sell out in 3 days, a week, a month... a year from now they will still be "unavailable" and have trade/resell value.

**highfives!!**

The tickets under the seats would only work once. Everyone would be looking under their seats before sitting down the next time. Doing it by random rows could work though.

As I mentioned in a post in the other thread, doing random releases could hurt their business. It really depends on the pin being released. The Jessica calender pin worked because it wasnt everyones cup of tea. The ebay market didnt go crazy for them. But a release like this, the word would spread quickly and they would have a mob at their store while regular patrons were trying to enjoy a meal. That and how do you schedule your employees? You'd have to have more help there for a longer period of time for a mob that may or may not show up depending on the pin.

I like the random starting number. Sure it sucks if you were willing to put in the time, but at least its completely fair.

Oh I love your idea!

Limit 1 per guest + LE 5000.
:)

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but here's my reason for being hesitant to support the "one per guest" idea: many of us rely on the kindness of other collectors who pick up one pin for their collection and get another pin for a peer on DPF. There is NO WAY I'd be able to get a Valentine Chocolate's pin if it weren't for Angel's kindness. Not everyone who's buying two pins is using them to slap on eBay and make a giant profit, and I for one am a huuuge supporter of the two per head rule so that some of us have a chance of getting the pin.

We can't be punished as collectors for not living in Southern California...

Like I said on the previous thread. If you approach DSF with a business solution/improvement...meaning they would make more $, they'd listen to it more than a solution to satisfy pin traders :). Having every pin be a Surprise pin with no release dates ever given, it forces people to go to DSf more often...and thus, more likely to purchase more. It's all about the $ for a business. They must also be aware that they have to release pins on any given day...not just Thursdays and Saturdays for example.

The Best solution is No announced releases, Just put the pins out, and announce that "X, Y, and Z have been released" Just like the Calendar surprise pin. There were no lineups, no craze, yet it sold out on saturday (one day later). Word of mouth does it's job!!! Leave it at that and everyone will be safe!! (NOT HAPPY, SAFE!!!!)

DSF wants us in early and out prior to the regular business day. The reason of 1 day wristbands and then release is $$. They see the increase of customer count and ice cream sales and food with some merchandise for both days. If it were one day then loss of sales. Direct from the mouth of Mickey (at least his representative from DSF).

I have another idea: Raise the pin prices by a significant amount. Instead of avg $12. Make them avg $45.

I like the higher edition size idea the best so far.

Sometimes people are too focused on "the rares" of edition size and trade value and lose sight of just enjoying a pin because you enjoy it.

I def think the cons of limiting it to 1 per person are that there would number wise just be more people and I do know lots of members on here that are generous and pick pins up for those that can't be there.

I'm not sure how fair it would be to do a raffle/random drawing of just whoever cares to show up at whatever time they care to do so. Its fair like luck is fair, just depends on what side of the coin you are on. If people want to use their time waiting for pins, then it would be fair (effort=reward version of the usage) that they get served in the order they arrive.

So for general safety of patrons... I would recommend upping the edition sizes especially on things that are in more demand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back