• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Best Pin Releases of 2021

Best Pin Releases of 2021

Jabberwocky

Cheshirefied
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I don’t think we’ve done a recap thread for 2021, so I thought I’d start one.

What do you think was/were the best pin releases of 2021?

For Wonderland, I think the pin that absolutely most knocked my socks off last year was this one:

62323_big.jpg

Great use of underused characters, great design, great use of pin-on-pin for depth, along with that nice swirly paint background. Simply an amazing pin. And one of my all time favorites now. I cannot resist a big round pin. lol Just wish I'd gotten a second one when they came out as the posts are wiggly on mine!

And shockingly, I’m going to give an honorable mention to something I generally hate – a domed/globe/bubble pin – the Disney Employee Center has been doing a series of pins based on actual Disney Snowglobes. So the art is really fun and different from a lot of the stock poses they generally otherwise use (such as those on the Wonderland playing card set):

Snow-Globes-3-DEC-Pin-Series.jpeg

(bottom right image is the Wonderland one - pic from DPB)

Although craziest release of the year award has to go to the dual-pinsanity from WDI of their matching LE10 and LE25 70th anniversary frame sets!

Overall, while I hate the continuing trend of licensed pins going more and more to soft enamel or that cheap thin metal style with clear coating on top (looking at you Loungefly) for the small individual and far too many mystery set releases, I think equally, Loungefly absolutely knocked it out of the park this year with their jumbo boxed hard enamel releases. And that co-branded one at the top that's my pin of the year.

I also continue to be drawn to the good size and poses of Figpins and they did a nice Wonderland set this year.

2021 being an anniversary year for Wonderland, I was also thrilled to see rarer and more unusual characters utilized in some of the mystery sets such as the WDI aDorbs set and the parks 16-pin anniversary set which included so many of the Tulgey Wood characters that ‘twas brillig!

But prize for least effort of the year goes to DSSH for their Christmas Tree Release where they made a pink tree and claimed it was for the Cheshire Cat. #weaksauce

On the Marvel side, equally there was one pin that stood head and shoulders above the rest and absolutely stole my heart away – and it was a simple rack pin from the parks. Sometimes simplicity is best – this was a huge and perfect pin for any Marvel fan:

62270_big.jpg

No, really - this thing is HUGE!

I know – how could I choose that over the multitude of Loki pins released last year? Simple – the majority of those were the awful soft enamel or other poor quality processes. And quality also matters.

I did also like the Marvel pins that Figpins continues to create – so the big missing piece was: where was their Loki series pin??? They made pins for all the Disney+ Marvel series but that one? I just don’t get it. A President Loki pin in their line would've SLAYED. I would've liked a TVA Loki, too. Serious missed opportunity.

But again, going with simplicity - I also liked the Hidden Mickey Marvel icon pins on both coasts and am working on completing those sets. With Marvel, logo/icon pins - and Skottie Young pins - and Loki pins lol are my weakness.

Those are my picks for 2021 – what are yours?

As a Muppets collector I was thrilled with all the Muppets Haunted Mansion releases. My favorite park monthly releases were the Dream Destinations and the Artfully Evil (even with a few stinkers ahem Queen of Hearts)

Also even though I’ll never be able to get it the WDI BATB stained glass window is gorgeous

DSSH had a weak year in general in my opinion nothing they made really stands out for me. The Alice anniversary pin was their best

Artland had a few great pins. Mulan and Prince John are my favorites

There are quite a few pins I really like from 2021. Difficult to rank them, so in no particular order these are my favorites:
1) Maleficent Dragon Funko POP! pin: I hope these POP! pins are here to stay. The pin is huge and somewhat unique (similar art to the Funko POP! villain's mystery box from a few years back, but definitely different in size and media used in the pin.)
2) Boushh Leia Funko POP! pin: For reasons above as well as the unique nature/limited number of Boushh Leia pins.
3) Heroes vs Villains - Playing Card - Sleeping Beauty: I like the artwork on the playing card pin. The marbleized finish is also nice.
4) PALM (Pink a la mode) cute Maleficent blind box pin: Again, its the artwork. Really like it. The pin quality is quite nice also. Didn't think I would be so into the white chaser, but I had to have the glittery white chaser also. (I love glitter pins.)
5) Hidden Disney masks: Both the villain and Fab 5 sets. These two sets of masks are top of my list for favorite hidden mickey/Disney pins ever. The hidden Disney Daisy is probably my favorite from within the sets... Although Mickey and Maleficent are very close 2nds.
6) Kermit as Ms. Piggy and Ms. Piggy as Kermit D23 WDI pins: Love these two pins as part of my characters in costume collection.
7) NBC Guitars (DSSH): Really like this pin set. I don't collect NBC, but I decided to keep these. Hoping for more guitar themed pins.

DEC and Disneyland Paris had a great comeback in 2021.

I agree with many here that DSSH had a very weak year overall... pins are getting smaller and designs feel very lazy compared to earlier years. There were still some great sets though. Really liked the stained-glass pride, cursive cuties, Coco cuties, Luca, Raya and Encanto sets.

And I've mentioned before that for the Heroes vs Villains pins, I was not a huge fan of how they rolled with the comic book aesthetic. Still, there were some great sets and I love the ones I got to add to my collections.

Shoutout to the Magic in the Stars series. It's very underrated but I think they did a fantastic job of blending in several icons of the birth month/zodiac sign without making the pin too busy. And they used a great range of characters, many of which are rare as far as pins go.

My other favorite series was the Sidekicks from the pin event.

I have to say that this is the 2021 produced two pins that really thrilled me!
The Aulani Anniversary pin, because it is the first time that the Lobby has been used on a pin.
63567_big.jpg

And the Beauty and the Beast mystery set featuring the Enchanted Stove was a real answer to a grail wish. Definitely one of my all-time favorite characters!!
64294_big.jpg

Back