• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Can't believe I got burned again on eBay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe I got burned again on eBay!

Duckmite

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Well, I can believe it, but not when I thought I was being careful...

Saw a couple of pins I needed on eBay and checked if there were Scrapper Alerts for them in PinPics. There weren't and the pins were on card, so I bid for them. As the shipping charges are high these days I decided to see the seller's other items and possibly add more pins into the package. There were several nice looking pins I decided to bid for and use as traders if I didn't like them myself. These other pins I didn't research as they were on cards.

The pins arrived, and when I was about to add them to PP I noticed ALL the "other" pins and their cards had SAs! So I did what I should have done originally and checked the seller. Turned out that he (?) had already sold several times the pins I was after originally. And they were LE 250s and 300s! There was one OE pin, but even that he had sold 20 times before. Needless to say, he has at least two of each of the pins I purchased for sale even now...

We all know these are counterfeits, but I don't want to get into trouble for using the word when I contact the seller and eBay. Do you have any suggestions about how I should be wording my message saying I want a refund? Or do I even have a case, because of course I can't prove he wasn't able to somehow get 20 LE250 pins?

Thanks!

You can simply say that the quality doesn't match the pins you currently have? (like it's full of dips and scratches or colors are off, etc?) and that you'd like to return them and get a refund? see what they say. If they give you a "no refunds" excuse, then you can bring it to ebay and say you believe they are counterfeit.

I wouldn't jump the gun so quickly. They are plenty of stories (especially DSF related) of people bringing 10-20 people with them to buy multiples. All depends on the pins. PM someone here who is in the know with the sellers ID and they should be able to let you know if they are one of these high volume sellers. I saw one reseller buy 80+ mystery boxes of one of the character connection puzzle series from ONE store (that had lower le chasers). Not saying they arent scrappers, but there are some volume sellers out there that use all their resources to get many multiples of pins to corner the market.

I wouldn't jump the gun so quickly. They are plenty of stories (especially DSF related) of people bringing 10-20 people with them to buy multiples. All depends on the pins

A very good point. Also, there are a couple of pins with the price tag w correct SKU attached to the card, plus one mystery pin came in its box. That is one reason I wouldn't want to cry wolf and accuse the seller of counterfeits to his face.

However, when I googled the id I found it on DisneyJunctions thread about shady eBay sellers.

Why didn't I google it before bidding, you ask? I don't know. I was young and I didn't need the money...

Here's an interesting piece of information Ifound under Ebay's Money Back guarantee:

Counterfeit items
If a buyer suspects that an item is counterfeit and there are strong indicators that the item is counterfeit, the buyer isn't required to return the item to the seller. The buyer agrees to cooperate with us to ensure the proper disposal of the item. In these cases, we refund the buyer for the full cost of the item and original shipping, and the seller reimburses us for the refund. The buyer may not sell the item on eBay or elsewhere.

Here's an interesting piece of information Ifound under Ebay's Money Back guarantee:

Counterfeit items
If a buyer suspects that an item is counterfeit and there are strong indicators that the item is counterfeit, the buyer isn't required to return the item to the seller. The buyer agrees to cooperate with us to ensure the proper disposal of the item. In these cases, we refund the buyer for the full cost of the item and original shipping, and the seller reimburses us for the refund. The buyer may not sell the item on eBay or elsewhere.

Good luck getting them to enforce that. I once received a shipment from a seller full of fake pins (not HMs and the like but LEs) and not only did eBay side with them when I reported it, but I refused a second shipment in the meantime (which gets recorded by USPS) and I got totally denied a refund on that one too. Then I couldn't leave negative feedback as a result of the whole deal.

eBay goes where the money goes. If the seller can defraud enough people to get a high rating, and they don't feel the need to refund you, you're screwed.

I bought a pin on ebay recently. The seller had 100% and 3500 auctions. They copied and pasted the pinpics desc. but they left off the note about a scrapper warning. The warning said silver metal was a counterfeit and gold was original. Sure enough the pin arrived, silver. I contacted them to let them know it was fake and I'd like a refund. They told me it was real, they bought it from Disney and that I should file a complaint with eBay. So I did. But now I'm out return shippnig for the item. Lame. eBay should really start forcing people who sell fake items to pay for return shipping. Charge a fee and reimburse the buyer if you want. People like that should be banned. They knew it was fake, they left off the scrapper warning. Yet I have to pay return shipping? I'm probably going to break the post off the pin when I return it.

That is a damned shame! I've unfortunately bought a couple of scrappers recently, unbeknownst to myself because of the lack of description and deceptively high positive ratings. I left negative feedback in the hopes of dissuading other pin traders/shoppers from falling victim to these frauds.

I do have a question, though. What's SA? o_O

Are we not allowed to publicly share bad eBay sellers? It seems to me a warning list would be helpful...I could see how this could be abused though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I can believe it, but not when I thought I was being careful...

Saw a couple of pins I needed on eBay and checked if there were Scrapper Alerts for them in PinPics. There weren't and the pins were on card, so I bid for them. As the shipping charges are high these days I decided to see the seller's other items and possibly add more pins into the package. There were several nice looking pins I decided to bid for and use as traders if I didn't like them myself. These other pins I didn't research as they were on cards.

The pins arrived, and when I was about to add them to PP I noticed ALL the "other" pins and their cards had SAs! So I did what I should have done originally and checked the seller. Turned out that he (?) had already sold several times the pins I was after originally. And they were LE 250s and 300s! There was one OE pin, but even that he had sold 20 times before. Needless to say, he has at least two of each of the pins I purchased for sale even now...

We all know these are counterfeits, but I don't want to get into trouble for using the word when I contact the seller and eBay. Do you have any suggestions about how I should be wording my message saying I want a refund? Or do I even have a case, because of course I can't prove he wasn't able to somehow get 20 LE250 pins?

Thanks!

That is a damned shame! I've unfortunately bought a couple of scrappers recently, unbeknownst to myself because of the lack of description and deceptively high positive ratings. I left negative feedback in the hopes of dissuading other pin traders/shoppers from falling victim to these frauds.

I do have a question, though. What's SA? o_O

SA = Scrapper Alert on pinpics

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I got a scrapper not too long ago on ebay, it was pretty easy to get a refund. Most ebay sellers are willing to work with you, but if they don't, Ebay/PayPal has buyer protection that is very buyer friendly . Just remember that with the amount of product some of these sellers move, they may unintentionally let a scrapper slip by.

I have gotten all sorts of collectibles from ebay over the years. If something sounds to good to be true, it usually is. Also, I have a rule of thumb about avoiding items from Hong Kong or China, their market is flooded with counterfeits.

Are we not allowed to publicly share bad eBay sellers? It seems to me a warning list would be helpful...I could see how this could be abused though.

You can share via PM, e.g. "If you want to know their name, PM me and I'll PM you back with the info.", but the forum doesn't allow it to be publicly posted. I think it's because there are "2 sides" to a story, and one person can't flame or insult another if the other can't defend themselves.

You can share via PM, e.g. "If you want to know their name, PM me and I'll PM you back with the info.", but the forum doesn't allow it to be publicly posted. I think it's because there are "2 sides" to a story, and one person can't flame or insult another if the other can't defend themselves.

Great, thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back