• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Cleaning marks off a doll? tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cleaning marks off a doll? tips?

serafina

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry I couldn't fin a thread for this (pls merge it if there is one). I just received sleeping beauty and Cinderella from ebay but look...Any tips on how to remove? I heard that acetone can discolour / even melt vinyl :( any help would be appreciated especially with these particular dolls . (Ooh and also the seller is being horrible to me, insisting they cant see marks in their own blurry photo's. Well obviously if I take blurry photo's I can't see the marks either. Urrrgh!)
notasdescribed_zps1ae5a21d.png~original

Last edited:
I used the magic clean eraser on my dolls that had marks on them and they came right off...You can try that

My daughter likes American Girl dolls. In the search of a good bargain, many times I purchase dolls with small blemishes from Ebay. We use those as play-dolls and not collectibles, so their little boo-boos don't matter to us. But, last year I did some research on how to remove those marks from AG dolls.

If memory serves me right, there might be a video on U-tube. Basically, you need to get .... ready for this ?? an over the counter pimple cream. Take the doll's clothes off. Cover everything else except the blemished parts. Put pimple cream on those spots and leave in sun-light. The pimple cream should fade those spots w/o damaging the "flesh" of the doll.

I have never tried this myself, so I can not say if it works or not.

Also, common sense tells me that a gentle fall sun would be much better than a schorching summer sun. I live in TX and our temps are in late 90's right now. I would not leave collectible dolls in summer's sun-light.

I hope this helps a bit, at a starting point at least. Please do loads of due diligence before attempting anything & best of luck :)

My daughter likes American Girl dolls. In the search of a good bargain, many times I purchase dolls with small blemishes from Ebay. We use those as play-dolls and not collectibles, so their little boo-boos don't matter to us. But, last year I did some research on how to remove those marks from AG dolls.

If memory serves me right, there might be a video on U-tube. Basically, you need to get .... ready for this ?? an over the counter pimple cream. Take the doll's clothes off. Cover everything else except the blemished parts. Put pimple cream on those spots and leave in sun-light. The pimple cream should fade those spots w/o damaging the "flesh" of the doll.

Also, common sense tells me that a gentle fall sun would be much better than a schorching summer sun. I live in TX and our temps are in late 90's right now. I would not leave collectible dolls in summer's sun-light.

I hope this helps a bit, at a starting point at least. Please do loads of due diligence before attempting anything & best of luck :)

Done this before, it's a slow process but with patience it pays off! You need 10% benzoyl peroxide acne cream. Also, cover the cream with saran wrap to keep it from drying out. Replace daily, and it could possibly take a few weeks.

IWhat is this...'sun' of which you speak? (sorry lol couldn't resist. I'm in the UK, and grey most days, bleh ) But thankyou, that is good advice maybe cream thing might work. Also thanks Menne that video is very helpful, I shall try the benzoyle stuff if magic eraser wont work.

The acne cream worked amazing for my doll, when I'm not on my phone I will post a before and after photo. It took about 4 attempts, though in BC they don't sell anything above 5% benzyol, but it still works :)

As far as I know, NON-acetone nail polish remover should be fine on the doll's face, as it is what is used to remove the paint from a doll head to allow for repaints and OOAK dolls... just don't get it on the body of the doll, as this will melt! The face is a different kind of plastic which won't melt :) Good luck! <3

As far as I know, NON-acetone nail polish remover should be fine on the doll's face, as it is what is used to remove the paint from a doll head to allow for repaints and OOAK dolls... just don't get it on the body of the doll, as this will melt! The face is a different kind of plastic which won't melt :) Good luck! <3

Nail Polish remover won't remove stains.

Hi, new here but usually lurking around :D . Figure I would jump in this time. I usually just get rid of marks on my dolls with baby wipes ^^. I use the sensitive pamper wipes, though might take some rubbing. Occasionally I wrap the baby wipe around a wooden stick (like a q-tip) to apply more pressure without damage. And poof! all gone. Hope it helps :D GL! I use baby wipes in a lot of stuffs hehe... also my clothes!

As a doll artist I can attest to Oxy 10. Leave a glob on the mark for up to a week, then wipe off. It'll draw the color out, I've done that since 2006, works great! :) or other marks like pen, use fingernail polish remover with acetone.

What is this...'sun' of which you speak? (sorry lol couldn't resist. I'm in the UK, and grey most days, bleh ) But thankyou, that is good advice maybe cream thing might work. Also thanks Menne that video is very helpful, I shall try the benzoyle stuff if magic eraser wont work.

Oh dear! We have plenty of sun :) But this year, we did not break into triple digits yet, woooo hoooo !! I wish I could bottle some sunshine for you "bleh" weather people, we definitely have an excess down here .. LOL ...

If you do the acne cream method, and if it works please post "after" results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back