• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Counterfeit pins

Counterfeit pins

iamdisneydan

The Bald Guy In The Back
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
127   0   0
OK, There has been a lot of discussion about scrappers Vs. Counterfeits.
Many of you have some great concepts of how to get this point across.
One example was at a burger place they drop a burger on the floor but still serve it, it should have been thrown away but was still used.

A counterfeit pin is not the same as a scrapper. Some examples may be that the original is a gold backed pin and the counterfeit is a silver backed pin. There can be subtle differences.

Here is something else to think about and I will also show some counterfeit vinylmations per a request.

The dates on the back of the pins for most rack pins can be different. You may have 2 of the same pin but they have different dates on the, (ie. 2004 and 2005)
The original date is on a pin but when it continues to the next year as an open edition, they will change the date.

The things you need to look for are mispellings, pin back placement, wrong information. here is a great example. I have a tinkerbell pin that was upposed to be an LE and on the back it says Disney / Pixar... Last I checked she was not a Pixar character.

Many factories cut and paste information on the back because the average unsuspecting collector will not know the difference. There is a factory that came out with a complete set of 10 Vinylmation pins that are not a release by disney but are very cute pins. These are not considered fantasy pins because of the way they are presented to the market. They were intended to fool people.

Also in closing and I will show some of the pins in a second, I cant tell you how many times I have received pins from a trader of apin that Disney has not even released yet.
The factory makes apin for Disney, it is scheduled to ship to them in 30 - 45 days, but they have already sold the scrappers and they start to circulate before the real pins are even released. many people say I will collect them quickly before scrappers hit the market but in many cases the scrappers are there first.

One example I can think of is the HM Teacups. They were out 3 weeks before disneyland released them. Same with Park 2,3 and Urban 2 that I know of with Vinylmation.

Here are a few pins that Disneyland has not done but are accepted as real Vinylmations by many traders who dont know better. However, i will say that max has everyone of them in his collection. They are cool, just not authorized by Disney.

This first one is a knockoff of the JUMBO series but they never did it in the reqular size as with a few of these pins that may look familiar. The ones that do look like the JUMBO's are absolutely counterfeits as they are trying to sell off of the real JUMBO's.
pin78369

pin78368

pin78374

Another copy of a JUMBO pin
pin78372

another fun pin but not part of any set
pin78237
pin77951

Look at the back of this one, as we all know about borders, this one is not even the right size pattern let alone the border
pin77917

Last edited:
Back