• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Disney Auctions - How did it Work?

Disney Auctions - How did it Work?

Koda Pup

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question to those who've been in the pin word for a long time, or know more about its history, what was Disney Auctions?

My understanding is that it was a Disney verion of Ebay for specific LE pins, that I've seen range from LE 100-1000. So how did it work? Were there multiple lisitngs for each indiviual pin, was there one auction, and thepeople who bid the most won until the cutoff (100 people bid the highest on an LE 100 pin so won?) or a differnt method? Was there news about the pins put up for auction, or was everyhting random? And why did they stop? I only have one DA pin and it's the grail of my collection, so sad they stopped making them

SO yeah, what was DA like on its day?

So, from personal experience: there were two types of Disney Auctions pins, Disney Auctions and Disney Auctions P.I.N.S. (Purchase It Now Store), sold by Disney through eBay:

Disney Auctions were the LE 100 pins. If memory serves, they were released on Mondays at 9:00 am PST/12.00 pm EST, with the auction ending sometime that following Sunday. For the most part, Auctions pins were 6 pin sets; 75 sold as together, 25 individually - although they did release the occasional single jumbo pin. The Auction pins were sold via Dutch auction. This meant that individual pins were given a starting price of $18.00 per pin (the 6 pin sets started at $108.00) plus applicable tax and shipping; if you were interested, you bid on as many pins (or pin sets) as you wanted and offered what you wanted to pay. All the winning bidders paid the lowest winning price.

Disney Auctions P.I.N.S. were the LE 250-1000 pins, at a fixed price according to the edition size ($14.00 for LE 250, $12.00 for LE 500, $10.00 for LE 1000). They were released twice a week, Mondays at 9.00am PST/12.00 pm EST and Thursdays at 3.00 pm PST/6.00 pm EST - and buying them was a little like the Wild West of pins. You knew they were coming, but you had no idea what would be released - and computer and finger speed was everything. Prior to the release, you would sign into your eBay account and constantly press F5 until you saw the pins - and then you prayed like mad you could get them into your basket and check out before they were sold out from underneath you (especially those LE 25o Stitch pins).

As far as knowing what was coming out, if you went to PTNs (Pin Trading Nights) or events, you could see previews of pins that would be released at some future, unspecified time. We never knew what specifically was coming out any particular day or week. I don't know anyone who knows exactly why Disney Auctions closed. I could speculate, but I don't think it would be productive or beneficial to anyone. As happy as my bank account is that they closed, I'm sorry that they're gone; I miss the quality and creativity that went into making those gorgeous pieces of collectible art.

So, from personal experience: there were two types of Disney Auctions pins, Disney Auctions and Disney Auctions P.I.N.S. (Purchase It Now Store), sold by Disney through eBay:

Disney Auctions were the LE 100 pins. If memory serves, they were released on Mondays at 9:00 am PST/12.00 pm EST, with the auction ending sometime that following Sunday. For the most part, Auctions pins were 6 pin sets; 75 sold as together, 25 individually - although they did release the occasional single jumbo pin. The Auction pins were sold via Dutch auction. This meant that individual pins were given a starting price of $18.00 per pin (the 6 pin sets started at $108.00) plus applicable tax and shipping; if you were interested, you bid on as many pins (or pin sets) as you wanted and offered what you wanted to pay. All the winning bidders paid the lowest winning price.

Disney Auctions P.I.N.S. were the LE 250-1000 pins, at a fixed price according to the edition size ($14.00 for LE 250, $12.00 for LE 500, $10.00 for LE 1000). They were released twice a week, Mondays at 9.00am PST/12.00 pm EST and Thursdays at 3.00 pm PST/6.00 pm EST - and buying them was a little like the Wild West of pins. You knew they were coming, but you had no idea what would be released - and computer and finger speed was everything. Prior to the release, you would sign into your eBay account and constantly press F5 until you saw the pins - and then you prayed like mad you could get them into your basket and check out before they were sold out from underneath you (especially those LE 25o Stitch pins).

As far as knowing what was coming out, if you went to PTNs (Pin Trading Nights) or events, you could see previews of pins that would be released at some future, unspecified time. We never knew what specifically was coming out any particular day or week. I don't know anyone who knows exactly why Disney Auctions closed. I could speculate, but I don't think it would be productive or beneficial to anyone. As happy as my bank account is that they closed, I'm sorry that they're gone; I miss the quality and creativity that went into making those gorgeous pieces of collectible art.
I agree about the quality of the pin and art from that time. And "Wild West of pins" was an excellent description! :D

Ah, the good old days. Total respect for remembering days and times. The only thing I’ll add is that they periodically had pin with purchase deals, where you could add on a pin for a few dollars more if you were the winner. If I remember correctly, it was one pin per $X spent. Those are the pins with various characters and the ebay logo.

All I remember was wearing out my F5 key waiting for the release, only to find them Sold Out within a heartbeat. Sometimes there was no qty limit and a few people would buy up the whole lot.
I believe Disney stopped the Auctions because of poor press and negative feedback.
I looked back today at some of the feedback I wrote "Outrageous Shipping costs, Pins thrown in box with a sheet of paper for $15.00"
They got better over time but it just was not worth the hassle to Disney.
I thought the Disney Store was restarting the fun in 2018 with the Stunning Silhouettes series, LE300 late night 3 AM releases, but they have since gone back to their lackluster pin releases.
However, chasing LE pins is still a thrill....

I remember sitting there hitting f5 over and over. At first I wasn’t all that into the Stitch pins, but over time I started liking them, and lemme tell you that raised the stakes a LOT

I was able to get some really cute LEs that I still treasure to this day. I have many of my Stitch pins for sale now, tho, and a lot of ppl don’t know or understand the deal with auction pins so they don’t get my pricing. They’re nice pins, y’all! Heavy, detailed, thick. Clearly high quality.

I remember sitting there hitting f5 over and over. At first I wasn’t all that into the Stitch pins, but over time I started liking them, and lemme tell you that raised the stakes a LOT

I was able to get some really cute LEs that I still treasure to this day. I have many of my Stitch pins for sale now, tho, and a lot of ppl don’t know or understand the deal with auction pins so they don’t get my pricing. They’re nice pins, y’all! Heavy, detailed, thick. Clearly high quality.
The educated collector will get it!

Ah, the good old days. Total respect for remembering days and times. The only thing I’ll add is that they periodically had pin with purchase deals, where you could add on a pin for a few dollars more if you were the winner. If I remember correctly, it was one pin per $X spent. Those are the pins with various characters and the ebay logo.
Oh goodness, I spent so much time parked in front of my computer wearing out my F5 key that there's no way I could forget the days and times. Even scarier, I actually had my credit card information memorized from entering it so many times.

I think I do remember that promotion, the mystery pins. I might be misremembering, but I recall the promotion being the addition of one mystery pin per order/check out. There might have been a minimum threshold for the order, but I believe that you were limited to one pin per order. I remember being so obsessed with trying to get as many of the mystery pins as possible that I would break my orders up into single pins and check out that way. At one time, I ended up with over 40 boxes, each containing just two pins, the one I purchased and the mystery PWP. I thought my dad was going to kill me when he saw all of those boxes; I had to lie and tell him that each box just had one pin because ... Disney shipping ... and even still, he wasn't happy!

Reactions: Ajk
Back