• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Ebay Pin Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ebay Pin Sale

speedwaystar1

UK Disney Fan
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
I recently "won" an auction on eBay for the Cinderella Fairytale Designer pin . After the auction ended and I'd paid I received the following message -
"Thank you for bidding on my item but following advice given to me by eBay customer services I am choosing to cancel this auction and list the pin again"
Followed by a load of platitudes . Is this even legal ?
I sent a message noting my displeasure and demanding an immediate refund . PayPal says this may take a few days to process .
On principle I'll refuse to bid on any items from this seller in the future , if anyone wants to pm me I'll pass on the seller ID

How strange!! I have never heard of this happening before or know why it would be allowed. Unless the seller did not make as much as they were hoping and are relisting for this reason??

be sure to leave them negative feedback. I would also contact ebay customer service and file a complaint. It is supposed to be a contract you are entering into.

be sure to leave them negative feedback. I would also contact ebay customer service and file a complaint. It is supposed to be a contract you are entering into.

Already done . I realize I stand zero chance of actually getting this pin now but I'm not going to just rollover , let's see where eBay stand on this .

I once one an auction on Ebay then received a note from the seller saying, "Sorry but the pins aren't mine to sell. They were my ex girlfriends and she wants them back. Thanks for understanding." I cancelled payment immediately but had to request that the seller cancel the transaction because I kept getting reminders to pay them. I was NOT happy but let it go because I couldn't force someone to sell someone else's pins. I had the same question - is that even legal? He agreed to sell them.

Sorry for the mini hijack. I understand your frustration and am sorry for a crummy situation. I wish I had answers or advice.

You enter a contract when you sell things on Ebay without a minimum bid or reserve price. They have to sell it to you if you win the bid. If you talk to Ebay, they will get banned or they will not allow them to relist them. This is unethical selling at it's best, and it's worst this is a person trying to cheat you out of your fair bid. I'm really sorry this happened to you.

You enter a contract when you sell things on Ebay without a minimum bid or reserve price. They have to sell it to you if you win the bid. If you talk to Ebay, they will get banned or they will not allow them to relist them. This is unethical selling at it's best, and it's worst this is a person trying to cheat you out of your fair bid. I'm really sorry this happened to you.
That's what I thought too . I've contacted eBay and none of the pins have yet been relisted . The seller does have an auction for the empty box , although it only says that it's just the box in the small print .

Last edited:
How recently was it? I know this morning I was not able to even access the ebay site. Maybe this was their reason. If people were unable to get in to bid that would be a good reason to relist. Just a thought.

How recently was it? I know this morning I was not able to even access the ebay site. Maybe this was their reason. If people were unable to get in to bid that would be a good reason to relist. Just a thought.
That was the issue mentioned however the seller hadn't set a reserve or a high start price , this in my opinion is their risk to take . I myself was able to access the site , the item had a 5 day listing so others had plenty of chance to bid . The outage only affected the last few hours (although I admit that's when a lot of bids roll in)

Same happened to me today on a designer pin, same seller as OP encountered I believe. Sellers either need to learn to set reserves or stop being plain greedy.

Will not be bidding on their auctions again.

Last edited:
I've had this happen twice where I've won a pin and then the sellers wanted to cancel because they "discovered the pin was damaged". I'm thinking if this happens again I may just refuse to cancel, just to see what happens.

Thing is at the bottom of my cancellation request it states that the seller can cancel without my consent if I don't give it before the 21st of this month. So much for a contract. The sellers can just refund you and cancel every time they don't like their profit margins...

Thing is at the bottom of my cancellation request it states that the seller can cancel without my consent if I don't give it before the 21st of this month. So much for a contract. The sellers can just refund you and cancel every time they don't like their profit margins...

Yes they can but unless the buyer agrees to it, they don't get their final value fees back (as far as I remember)

So did other people have trouble logging in to eBay this morning? I couldn't.

I did have someone sell a 4-pin DSF set to me for BIN $59.99. They canceled it without my approval and refunded me, then listed the same item for $250+. I contacted eBay, but they would not "force" the person to sell them to me, and did not end their new BIN listing. They made it sound like the seller was not obligated to sell pins to me even though I would have been obligated to pay for something I bought, then didn't want. So, I don't believe eBay is going to be on your side in this case...

So did other people have trouble logging in to eBay this morning? I couldn't.

I did have someone sell a 4-pin DSF set to me for BIN $59.99. They canceled it without my approval and refunded me, then listed the same item for $250+. I contacted eBay, but they would not "force" the person to sell them to me, and did not end their new BIN listing. They made it sound like the seller was not obligated to sell pins to me even though I would have been obligated to pay for something I bought, then didn't want. So, I don't believe eBay is going to be on your side in this case...

I had this happen to me (using my mom's account). It was really disappointing :(

eBay only cares about its fees.

If the auction ended this morning, while ebay was apparently down for several hours, then I consider that a different/unusual case, and I'm going to side with the seller about being able to relist it.

If I were selling a pin, and the last few hours of the auction ebay was down so people couldn't bid on my auction, I would not want to be stuck with a lower than normal sale price - esp if it was a pin that was likely to have lots of last minute activity.

Now if the auction ended during a different time, not affected by technical difficulties, I agree the seller should have to sell it at the final price.

"Likely" to have last minute bids doesn't mean there actually will be last minute bids. If you won't accept a sale below a certain figure that's what reserves are for. It's not like eBay hasn't been known for having outages as of late. Sellers need to take precautions rather than relying on "likely" and "maybe".

But of course, there are fees for reserves. Why pay for that when you can just cancel your auctions? :nono: Profit margins...

Last edited:
"Likely" to have last minute bids doesn't mean there actually will be last minute bids. If you won't accept a sale below a certain figure that's what reserves are for. It's not like eBay hasn't been known for having outages as of late. Sellers need to take precautions rather than relying on "likely" and "maybe".

But of course, there are fees for reserves. Why pay for that when you can just cancel your auctions? :nono: Profit margins...

Actually, most people bid within the last few hours, few minutes, few seconds. That's when all the sniping happens.

Actually, most people bid within the last few hours, few minutes, few seconds. That's when all the sniping happens.

This might be the norm (I've been buying and selling on eBay for ten years so I am in no way inexperienced) but I stand by putting reserves on items if you're unwilling to take a gamble.

I had a similar weird eBay thing happen, but not with pins. I won an LE Elsa doll for a price that was lower than some other auctions had ended for, and after a few days got a message that she'd been badly damaged and couldn't be sold. No explanation (I asked for a description and even mentioned that I might still be willing to buy her), and then I had to walk the seller through how to do a PayPal refund.

I know people complain about buyers backing out last minute, but the sellers definitely shouldn't be able to, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back