• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

GUIDE How To Guide: Pin Pic's Trade Assistant

At some point recently there have been many traders, new and experienced alike, asking for tips and tricks for the pinpic trade assistant. As I wrote up a how to guide for this before, and it was appreciated. I will re-write it. (it got deleted, but that’s ok, I was thinking about doing an overhaul on it anyway..)

Questions to be covered by this how to guide:

1. getting higher response rates. (positive or negative)
  2. Properly and fairly requesting trades.
  3. International trades.
  4. Why it does not “just checkmark all the choices.â€
  5. How to control who receives the requests.
  6. What is proper online trade etiquette?

As each question is addressed, I will put the Number in a bold color to be noticed.

First less discuss how to be better prepared to use the Trade assistant (TA)

• Ensure your tradable’s list is up to date and accurate.
  • Ensure your wants list is up to date and accurate.
  • ANY pin you feel you are willing to trade, even ones in your collection that you would “give up for a holy grail†should be on your trade list. You can always decline a Trade request (TR)
  • Have a current email address that you check daily if possible.
NOTE: if you set your pinpic account to anonymous, you will receive fewer requests and even fewer responses.

Now, for the new user, how I do this…. Trust me, this method works. Only do this once a week or month. Daily requests get annoying for the repeat recipient.

1. log into your pinpic’s account.
  2. on the left side of pinpic home page are several locations to visit. Lets go to “My pinpic’s.â€
  3. I scroll down to the view user boxes.†View Tradables.†And type in YOUR pinpic I.D.
  4. I view my list with the small pictures next to pin title.
  5. Start with your first pin. (in my case it is: 105 magic kingdom castle) open the pin info by clicking your pin.
  6. Scroll down to the Trade assistant area, and click on “what could I get for trading this pin?â€
  7. one of 2 things will happen: A~ you get a page that says sorry, nothing available right now. OR B~ you get a list of pins with little empty boxes next to them.
  8. Lets assume it was B…. ((answer to question’s 2 & 4)) it is up to you to decide which of the pins listed are pins you are willing to receive for the pin you are trading. It is also up to you to be fair in your TR’s. If you would not ask for a pin in person, due to it being lopsided, why would you send a request for it via email? A hidden mickey is NOT worth an LE100 DA pin. Do not check mark it.
  9. theres a spot at the bottom, before you send the request, that says comments. It is always a good idea to put a comment such as “counter offers welcome.†Or “please let me know if you would like to do a multi pin trade too!†It opens up a dialogue instead of a random blind request. This will increase your chances of response too!!!
  10. Repeat step 5-9 with all or most of your tradable pins.
NOTE: the wonderful thing about internet is you can have multiple windows open. I always have a second pinpic window open to search and review pins by number to ensure it will be a fair request.

((answer to question 1)) A fair request is more likely to gain reply. A fair request also makes you look good. We all want to be fair traders, and have a reputation for fairness right? Sending TR’s daily is going to reduce the chances of reply. People get tired of seeing the same request’s filling their inbox over and over. I do this mass Request system about once a month.

((answer to question 5)) How to control who receives the requests:

1. Once you are done sending requests for all the pins you plan to do that day,week,month… go back to “my pinpicsâ€
  2. Using the trade assistant area, click on the “view current pending trade requests.â€
  3. It will bring up a list of requests being sent by user name, email and number of pins being offered/requested.
  4. On rare occation you come across a person you do not wish to trade with… ever. This is your chance to delete the request being sent to them.
  5. You can also click on the request and get more detail, delete certain pins from the request etc…
  6. TR’s go out by auto send at about 3am PST daily.

((question number 3)) International trading…. Where to start? How about, YES YOU CAN!!!! The biggest thing to remember about international trading is shipping cost. It is NOT worth the time, effort or shipping cost to trade 1 pin. International trade should be for multiple pins. (should, but doesn’t have to be) I have 3 Picpic contacts that are international. And while I do not trade with them often, they are dependable and fair every time. Most of my international trading comes from here on DPF. And that’s the best place to start until you get comfortable with the process of packing, customs and shipping.

((question number 6)) Lets discuss Trade etiquette shall we????

• Reply to as many received requests as possible. Even if it is a decline, even better. Counter offer!!! I am incredibly guilty of not replying lately, but my kids have had me running crazy. A reply opens dialogue, which can generate future trades.
  • Decline politely. You would not believe the declines I have seen! Be polite, be to the point. A simple, “I will pass at this time†is all you need. Do not try to lecture them about why it is an unfair trade, or tell them your life story.
  • Don’t reply in a rude manner when someone declines your TR. My favorite rude reply to my decline was: “You joking right? Why do you even have it up for trade if you say no to every pin I offer?!?!?†I no longer send them requests nor do i reply at all when the send me one.
  • Always, always, always, strive to be fair in your trade offers. I cannot stress this enough! A shark can be an internet trader just as easily as a park trader.
  • Generally, if you have not received a reply within about 3 days, it’s safe to say the requests are a no.
  • I try not to offer the pins I send in requests up in auctions for 3 days after I send my TR’s.. Hense why you see a few days every month where I do not bid.
  • A trade is not confirmed and set in stone until addresses are exchanged. Never forget this! I have had dialogue running with traders for days and then suddenly, nothing. And no addresses ever got exchanged.

I hope this helps! Feel free to add notes or comments, as I can always edit andadd information.

GUIDE How To Guide: Pin Pic's Trade Assistant
Thank you! I usually have several windows open and both computers side by side going. So question... Do they get an email in their regular email or do they have to login in to pinpic to receive pin pic trade requests?

Some will get an email and others will have to login. It depends on there setting on the pinpic site.

Back