• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Howdy from NY!

Howdy from NY!

cainnbrainn

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!! I'm Cain! I've been collecting since I was about 4, and trading since I was 13. I've absolutely fallen in love with the thrill of trading. I love the community it creates too! My partner is also an avid pin trader, so we're both looking forward to get to trading again during our upcoming trip.

One of my main goals is to learn how to decipher fake and real pins. I've been gifted lots of dupe pins, but I've always had trouble figuring out what's real and fake. Some of them are obvious, but some of them are way too close to the real one. Any tips you have, I'm happy to take!

I'm a collector of anything Haunted Mansion, and most things Donald Duck. My partner is a collector of Hidden Mickey pins.

Thanks for welcoming me (well, us) into your community! :hatbox:

Last edited:
Hi and Welcome! We're so glad you've found us and happy to have you as part of our community!

Everything you've said about authenticating pins is, unfortunately accurate. Some pins are so clearly obviously fake. Others, not so much, and to be sure, not only do you need to have educated yourself in pins, sometimes you need a side-by-side comparison with a known authentic pin to be certain. The best way to learn is to ask questions, the members here will be more than happy to answer them for you.

When it comes to authenticating pins, check out: Help me Identify This Pin! and Pin Comparison

Th
Hi and Welcome! We're so glad you've found us and happy to have you as part of our community!

Everything you've said about authenticating pins is, unfortunately accurate. Some pins are so clearly obviously fake. Others, not so much, and to be sure, not only do you need to have educated yourself in pins, sometimes you need a side-by-side comparison with a known authentic pin to be certain. The best way to learn is to ask questions, the members here will be more than happy to answer them for you.

When it comes to authenticating pins, check out: Help me Identify This Pin! and Pin Comparison
Thank you for the advice!

Neither of us do. Where can we find that?
The databases are independent and autonomous sites. There are quite a few of them, but I believe the most popular ones used are Pin Pics, Pin & Pop, and Pin Trading Database. You can find a more detailed, but not necessarily comprehensive, list of databases here: DPF Member Cheat Sheet 3.0

Investigate the databases and decide which ones you want to use. You may register for as many or few as you choose. And if you wish, once you have signed up, you are welcome to share your account user names and I will be happy to add you to the DPF Member Cheat Sheet linked above.

Welcome to the forum! :lgm:

HMs are especially tricky as they tend to be heavily scrapped, but you'll get the hang of it. And if one or two slips by you, don't sweat it too much. I'm also a HM collector and I'm sure I have a couple that are scrap in my collection but I don't care as I still enjoy them.

For the pin sites, PinPics is probably the most comprehensive and a really good one for cataloging your pins, wants, and traders. There is some trading on it but not as much as there used to be. More trading has gone to Pin & Pop and that's a really good one to get your wants/trades in if you want to participate in their monthly trading events. Pin trading DB is also good for cataloging your pins and is really easy to use but I don't think much trading happens there.

Hello!! I'm Cain! I've been collecting since I was about 4, and trading since I was 13. I've absolutely fallen in love with the thrill of trading. I love the community it creates too! My partner is also an avid pin trader, so we're both looking forward to get to trading again during our upcoming trip.

One of my main goals is to learn how to decipher fake and real pins. I've been gifted lots of dupe pins, but I've always had trouble figuring out what's real and fake. Some of them are obvious, but some of them are way too close to the real one. Any tips you have, I'm happy to take!

I'm a collector of anything Haunted Mansion, and most things Donald Duck. My partner is a collector of Hidden Mickey pins.

Thanks for welcoming me (well, us) into your community! :hatbox:
Hi Cain I live here in Sanford, Florida and I am also from NY. born and raised . I to collect and yes started trading my extras but if you go to the trading shows MY MY. there are pins I never seen before there are so many companies out there selling pins like Fantasy. Artland Monogram, Pink ala mode and Lunch Box to name a few. To me also they are fakes. but some of them are nicer than the Disney ones. If you look on the back of a Disney pin. there is now a way to tell Disney from all others. True Disney pins now have a mtiny mickey emblem on the back almost like a pearl in color those are real Disney pins I know a lady who is the owner of a pin company called GO-PIN-PRO she is a smart lady that deals with pins all the time and she know the differences in them if they are fake or real. 99% of the hidden mickey pin if you buy any pins on line they are most likely fake but still tradable I took a couple of photos for you I just have to figure how to send them. MY ex is also a big time Disney pin collector and he also knows the difference in them. He Lives in Saugerties NY the thickness and color are also a way to tell if they are fake. Disney uses real colors and the fakes you will find thinner and slightly a different color shade of color Cain I hope this helps a little and sorry for the long explanation. anyway. thanks. Tracey

Pinandpop.com is where I do a lot of online trading. Pinpics is likely second for trading. I don't live near the parks so both work for me. The one thing with pinandpop is their trading process is event based and you ship your pins to them. Pinandpop then inspects them for authenticity and quality. Its a way to learn and gain some feedback on your pins if you are unsure of them. (If you know the pin is fake then you would not want to trade it on pinandpop, keep it for your collection or donate it for another use.)

And welcome! :)

Pinandpop.com is where I do a lot of online trading. Pinpics is likely second for trading. I don't live near the parks so both work for me. The one thing with pinandpop is their trading process is event based and you ship your pins to them. Pinandpop then inspects them for authenticity and quality. Its a way to learn and gain some feedback on your pins if you are unsure of them. (If you know the pin is fake then you would not want to trade it on pinandpop, keep it for your collection or donate it for another use.)

And welcome! :)
Thank you for the tip! I've been looking for some good trading sites and cant quite figure out pinpics just yet.

Back