• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

In Search of New Pin Boards (Help Needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha sorry for my remote-ness with regards to frame sources XD

One of them I found at a church fair, the other I got online from a 2nd hand seller and it was originally a mirror and gold and the third was a mirror in my parents rental property that they got rid of when renovating.

My tips are - look online for 2nd hand sellers or craigslist and use terms like "ornate frame" or "ornate mirror" and don't be put off if they're gold or a different colour. Two of mine were gold and we spray painted them, took out the mirror parts and mounted cork in the back like a picture frame.

I saw this at my Tuesday Morning yesterday!
a917893401f7a8579d43999d6a55ca6e.jpg

It's not the largest, but the shadow box has a built in pin board. It might be a good place to look!

@Disneychildwithin Michaels has massive rolls of cork. Mine is 5/8” thick which might be kinda thick... it was that of 3/8” which I thought was too thin. It’s kinda expensive, so save those coupons!!

If you plan to stick pins with no mickey heads on the other side, 5/8” is fine. In fact, post is just a little longer so it might poke through.

eb18fae2adce1f505dc83bab69ab71fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the thinner rolled cork board, spray mount it to some foam core, and cover the whole thing (cork board side) with fabric.
The fabric makes it look nicer than just cork board - plus hides where the cork board eventually starts to break apart some from adding and removing pins. The layer of cork board helps to hold the pin in place in case the frame is bumped or anything while the foam core board keeps the needle part safe from being bent or anything.

I use the thinner rolled cork board, spray mount it to some foam core, and cover the whole thing (cork board side) with fabric.
The fabric makes it look nicer than just cork board - plus hides where the cork board eventually starts to break apart some from adding and removing pins. The layer of cork board helps to hold the pin in place in case the frame is bumped or anything while the foam core board keeps the needle part safe from being bent or anything.

Yes! I ran into this problem for my space shadowbox. My cork was too thick but not enough for the whole post, so each pin is slightly raised from the "floor" level. I looked at one of my old cork boards that's peeling, and only like.. 1/8" is cork, and under it is a hard foam-like material. I think that's prob the way to go.

OK, you lot! In my tenure as a pin collector, I've gone through multiple shadowboxes, etc, for displaying my collection. (I started with a couple small 9x12 ones from Target, when I was "not going to buy too many pins, just a few I really like" and then one day came home from work, walked into my room, and was like, "Oh my God when did this turn into a shadowbox factory?!?")

I've been using Ung Drill frames from IKEA because they're relatively affordable but have a nice girly vibe that I like. I just wrap corkboard in fabric so it looks nicer and pop my pins in.

054fec2caa578575c34e3f22ed45344b.jpg

BUT ... once again ... the volume of these frames is increasing, and I don't have infinite wall space. Plus, when BF and I get an apartment, although I will be putting my stuff all over the place (HA), there will still be a limit. So I think I have to condense a few of these frames (which are decorative but perhaps impractical, thanks to the curved edges) into fewER, more accommodating frames.

The problem is: I still want something kinda purty. Not just a plain ol' corkboard, if I can avoid it. (Side note: @katelouise always finds the greatest frames, but she's in New Zealand and often picks them up at garage sales, which means I can't even beg her for sources.)

So, any suggestions for places to look for large, interesting frames that maybe won't cost a TON? I keep checking Home Goods but maybe somebody here will name a store that I have access to that I've just never thought of looking ...
Gimbels, Marshall Fields, and Target. The holy trifecta of Midwest retail.

One of the best, if not the best, board I have seen. Very impressive!

Im partial to Quartet cork boards from Amazon. I think they’re great quality, affordable and they look very nice.

f2fc3974b9a51ed41bb3f17e0d052dc7.jpg

fe08f9b688d6c7e71d3231084ed5a68b.jpg

My wife found some Horizon Group USA cork boards for $3 each at Target in the bargain section. I like that they’re a more unique shape. She purchased 3 white border and 2 pink border ones. Originally she wanted all white but we had some trouble finding more white ones. We went to 4 different Targets.

0b18b40b200a232b8ceed6f48525d4a8.jpg

I also just purchased a Hobbymaster protective pin board with latch that I will use for my extra special pins. I plan on putting only my favorite LE pins in there and my PTDs. It’s small only holding 10 to 15 pins at most so I may get a second one in the near future (especially as many sweet trades as I’ve been making on DPF), but this will do for now.

2904a77ae7b85716de907bfa48d15826.jpg

4aad36493107c5f642c502412eaaa338.jpg

I also have pins on a canvas I painted which actually came out pretty nice. The only problem with canvas is that you have to know exactly where you want the pins to go. You can’t keep moving pins around or the canvas will have too many holes and end up being useless.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back