• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Known Scrapper/Counterfeit Pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Known Scrapper/Counterfeit Pins

YoSoyAhPuch

hello
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Before DPF was born, there was Dizpins. One thing that the forum did was post a list of known scrapper and counterfeit pins. This list was a big help to me when I first started trading pins and I hope that it helps new and old pin traders. Unfortunately, it was last updated in 2010, and I'm hoping that there is a way that it can be updated with recently scrapped pins (specifically pins that there is photographic evidence of it being scrapped and not just speculation. I see a good amount of arguments about this on PinPics.). I hope there isn't an issue with me posting this link here. I hope this is helpful to you guys.

http://www.dizpins.com/pinventory/scrappers.htm

Here is an excerpt from the post:

Known Scrappers/Counterfeit Pins
Scrappers are pins that were made in the factories in China over the allotment made by Disney. Are they a Disney pin? Yes they are.. but they are pins over and above the allotment "ordered" by Disney. So in essence, they could be called illegally made Disney Pins. Sometimes when the "second illegal run" of the pin is done, there are differences noted, but it can only be known comparing two pins side by side. These pins can also be classified as counterfeits.Also, if the pin is made for Disney, and there is some error or variation noted, the pin may be "thrown on the floor" to be "discarded". Thus, the term "scrapper", as the pin should have been "scrapped". Unfortunately, they are not discarded and those may be the pins you are seeing being sold. When a pin is made, a mold is used. For whatever reason, the mold is not destroyed, so these pins can be reproduced again. What is happening, is that some overseas factories are making more pins for individuals who ask for them.

Recently, a factory in China has been soliciting individuals not associated with Disney to purchase Disney Pins without the authority of Disney. Included in these e-mails, are images of pins, which are noted below. The e-mail states:

Are you interesting about Disney pins? Our
factory can provide different style Disney pins
to you in stock. We have stock goods so that you
don¡¯t need pay for die charge.

We are slowly putting a warning on Pinpics with these known scrapper pins, and the warning will note:

Please be advised that there are unauthorized versions of these pins being sold from China directly to individuals not associated with Disney. No one can guarantee the authenticity of this pin unless it was purchased directly from Disney.

Every pin released by Disney has the potential of being a scrapper. Once again, no one can guarantee the authenticity of any Disney pin unless it was purchased directly from Disney.

Again, the link: http://www.dizpins.com/pinventory/scrappers.htm

Great info, thanks!
And I'm assuming that any pin that is numbered/ pictured has been scrapped and need caution/ beware?
Some photos look "fine" but I wouldn't be able to tell since I can't see dips, etc. Like some seem "really, these were scrapped?!?!" like the DSF pins, a Mulan and Mother pin?
Also, some photos have a caption that has said "sold out", is this actually someone's sale or photos of scrappers?
Another thing, I remember someone posting a thread saying "what a steal" for a set of Disney masterpiece pins for $30 but this site listed them as scrappers too! So maybe it wasn't a steal?

Last edited:
Great info, thanks!
And I'm assuming that any pin that is numbered/ pictured has been scrapped and need caution/ beware?
Some photos look "fine" but I wouldn't be able to tell since I can't see dips, etc. Like some seem "really, these were scrapped?!?!" like the DSF pins, a Mulan and Mother pin?
Also, some photos have a caption that has said "sold out", is this actually someone's sale or photos of scrappers?
Another thing, I remember someone posting a thread saying "what a steal" for a set of Disney masterpiece pins for $30 but this site listed them as scrappers too! So maybe it wasn't a steal?

I can help with the last part. When a listing says "sold out" it means that it is no longer available where it was purchased. For example, Disneyland, or the DisneyStore.com. That does not mean that any pin that is sold out and is sold on ebay is a scrapper or fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back