• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Love is Magical- My Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love is Magical- My Report

Abyssinian28

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Okay, gang- here's my report for LiM!

I got there a little late, due to a rough night for sleep. So I arrived at the pavilion a little after 11 AM. I've never been in this pavilion, so it was interesting...a little creepy in the way the old decor reflected the old attractions that were there. But it was clean, and I liked the basic layout- it was easy to get around in.

I wasn't timing myself, but it seemed like check-in took about 30 minutes, maybe a little less. No problems there, it was just like any other pin event.

I headed over to check out the Auction lots. As a Duffy fan since 2007, I was thinking about bidding on the Duffy lot- but once it got past $300, I had to back out. It felt weird, because it felt like it sort of belonged with me (like a felt a pull to it, you know?), but I just couldn't drop that money right now. Oh, well...

The trading area was next, and that was fun, as always. Without the usual out-of-town crowd that you see at big events, it was tough to make any Holy Grail level trades, but I managed to make a few nice trades.

I had a lot of fun talking with Deb and Greg, and all the usual suspects!

The most fun I had was, surprisingly, at the boards! Anyone who knows me knows that I don't usually bother with them- a 45 minutes wait is not worth the crappy pins I *usually* end up with (I have horrible luck at these). But for some reason I decided to try them out this time- I got lucky that was standing close to a group of cast members when they opened up a new trading line, so I hopped in there.

By the end, I had used all 4 of my coupons, and I had 8 great pins! All but 2 were Artist Proofs! But mostly, I just appreciated that they had nice Tinker Bell pins, a lot of which I didn't already own, and even one that was on my Wants!

Here are the ones I ended up with:

The only blight on the event for me actually happened at the Boards, as well. I saw 2 different cases of line jumping, one that happened right in front of me. One woman turned to her husband and was like, "Come on, honey!" and pulled him around me after he strolled up later.

Now, if you're in line at a ride, I get it- you want to ride together, and it's not costing me anything but a little bit of time. Same for a food line- as long as you're not letting 20 people up, I don't care. But when the line is for a physical item, it makes a difference. They walked away with 2 pins I totally would have picked myself. I just can't see any justification in holding space or cutting in these lines, when everyone is trying to get something nice and exciting...and when they take so long for us to get through!

But other than that, the event went smoothly, and I had a lot of fun! Everyone I expected to be there was (E-Beth, Tiggersue, Steph, even Terry), and I was able to chat at least a little.

Stef, if you'd like the spinner still, I have one for you. :)

I am glad you had a good time and got some pins that you wanted.

I have to comment on your "line jumping". I am guilty of this I guess. There have been plenty of times when I have been in line with my husband and I had to go to the bathroom and would go and come back and get in line. I don't have an issue with it when it is one person. Now if it were a group of people, I would have a problem with that. I have never had anyone say or look at me funny and people don't offend me when they do it either if it is just one person.

Oh, I don't have an issue with ducking out for a bathroom break, or even just leaving for a moment. But I firmly believe you should be there with the other person when you get in line, and should be there for most of the waiting. I have issues with people pulling surprise additions in, or "saving" spots while the other member is getting pins in *another* line. It's not fair to those of us that are alone, and it takes a lot of potential away from what we can get on these boards, which is the whole reason we're standing there for 45 minutes...

Thank you for taking the time to write a trip report. :) I'm a Tink lover as you can guess by my user name, love those pins!

Debby and I went with our daughter (her very first event) and had a great time. We especially enjoyed meeting and getting to know some members of our DPF pin trading family, Nicole (Abyssinian28), Mike (btowndude), Megan (Turk82), Amanda (heyyouwannatrade), John (SoccerMickey), Marilyn (BayouJazz21), Elizabeth (ehcothran), and Suzanne (suzanneb). Thanks to each of you for helping to make our time special. :rock:

The pins released at the event were very nice and we were glad to be able to get them, but we were very surprised by the Stamp/Puzzle Mystery Set...especially me since I am not particularly fond of mystery sets. These pins are large, heavy, and well made, and in my opinion worth the $16 price tag for two of them. The downside is that there are a total of 72 pins in the set between regulars and chasers. We also had a chance to purchase some of the Keep on Tradin' pins, which to Debby and I were a disappointment when you compared their quality and $17 price tag to the Stamp Set. We will trade for a few of these, but in no way look to get the complete set. Whew!!! :anxious:

The event was well organized, the desserts were yummy, and the boards were loaded with APs and LEs. Between the three of us, we walked away with 25!!! For those who were there, I know those numbers don't match with the number of coupons that were passed out, but some friends who couldn't stay gave us theirs!

They previewed some of the upcoming pins, and I must say that the Alice in Disneyland pins were by far the best. We are very envious of those of you on the West Coast because it will most likely cost us dearly, in trades or funds, to get them. :sad:

The pin trading between individuals seemed rather slow to us, but we are not sure how others fared.

All in all it was a great time! :D

Debby and I went with our daughter (her very first event) and had a great time. We especially enjoyed meeting and getting to know some members of our DPF pin trading family, Nicole (Abyssinian28), Mike (btowndude), Megan (Turk82), Amanda (heyyouwannatrade), John (SoccerMickey), Marilyn (BayouJazz21), Elizabeth (ehcothran), and Suzanne (suzanneb). Thanks to each of you for helping to make our time special. :rock:

The pins released at the event were very nice and we were glad to be able to get them, but we were very surprised by the Stamp/Puzzle Mystery Set...especially me since I am not particularly fond of mystery sets. These pins are large, heavy, and well made, and in my opinion worth the $16 price tag for two of them. The downside is that there are a total of 72 pins in the set between regulars and chasers. We also had a chance to purchase some of the Keep on Tradin' pins, which to Debby and I were a disappointment when you compared their quality and $17 price tag to the Stamp Set. We will trade for a few of these, but in no way look to get the complete set. Whew!!! :anxious:

The event was well organized, the desserts were yummy, and the boards were loaded with APs and LEs. Between the three of us, we walked away with 25!!! For those who were there, I know those numbers don't match with the number of coupons that were passed out, but some friends who couldn't stay gave us theirs!

They previewed some of the upcoming pins, and I must say that the Alice in Disneyland pins were by far the best. We are very envious of those of you on the West Coast because it will most likely cost us dearly, in trades or funds, to get them. :sad:

The pin trading between individuals seemed rather slow to us, but we are not sure how others fared.

All in all it was a great time! :D

I had an awesome time meeting you all!!!! Thanks for the report:) I look forward to seeing you all again.

Thanks to all of you for the wonderful reports!! Wish we could have been there to meet everyone! Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

gbdb4ever,

You said you saw the pins for Alice in Disneyland. Did they tell you when they would be sold? Is there going to be a special event (like at PTN or Love is Magical events)? Any info you can share would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for the reports. Making me wish I had gone now. :( I've never been to a pin event. I really need to go one day.

As a matter of fact, I've never traded at the parks either. :( I have a question about the trading boards. How do these work? You just go up and trade one of your pins for a pin on the board? And does it work the same at these pin events? Or did the coupon give you a free pin off the board?

Thanks for the reports. Making me wish I had gone now. :( I've never been to a pin event. I really need to go one day.

As a matter of fact, I've never traded at the parks either. :( I have a question about the trading boards. How do these work? You just go up and trade one of your pins for a pin on the board? And does it work the same at these pin events? Or did the coupon give you a free pin off the board?

You can trade up to two pins per person at one time for two pins off the board. So, your two pins for two from the board.

gbdb4ever,

You said you saw the pins for Alice in Disneyland. Did they tell you when they would be sold? Is there going to be a special event (like at PTN or Love is Magical events)? Any info you can share would be appreciated. Thanks.
The woman with the Disneyland pin info said the Alice in Disneyland was to occur on 02 April. We did not get pictures of the pins, but they included the Playing Cards Mystery set (10 pins), a packaged set with 5-6 pins on a "scene" backer, and 4-5 jumbo pins (one was a hinged keyhole with Alice that opened to reveal the Mad Tea Party scene). Hopefully someone got photos and will post them.

I have a question about the trading boards. How do these work? You just go up and trade one of your pins for a pin on the board? And does it work the same at these pin events? Or did the coupon give you a free pin off the board?

At this event, we were given six coupons: four were for the six trading boards. You chose which of the six trading boards. Once, you got to the front, you gave the CM your coupon and two trading pins. You kept the rubber backers. You were given a minute to choose any two pins from the board. 30 second and 10 second warnings were given. The boards were changed every 30 minutes. How the six pin boards were run at Love Is Magical was very different from the four pin boards at Dateline Disneyland.

There was also a "sweetheart" activity. You exchanged a fifth coupon and one of your pins with the CM. Another CM picked a red velvet bag out of box for you. There was a jumbo pin inside the red velvet bag. Some were very valuable.

The last coupon was for the good bye pin.

Originally posted by unibear

If these are the same pins as the ones we saw on the preview board at the DLR PTN then some of those photos were up. They were on another thread here, but I just spent a few minutes going back though the threads and I couldn't find it. Maybe the mods would know where it went.

With the pins and merchandise for D23 Destination D event in WDW, the Sci Fi Academy at DLR and possible Star Tours 2.0 opening events at WDW and at DL during May and June, the event services and pin teams may not have enough time for a Alice in Wonderland special event. You also have more pins for the opening of Pirates 4 and Cars 2 during these months. There is also the pins and merchandise for the D23 Expo at the Anaheim Convention Center in August and the Florida Project at WDW in September.

I really had an awesome time at my first pin event. I do not have any previous events to compare it to but I thought it was ran nicely. I liked all of the natural light coming into the building. From previews it looked as though other events were rather dark in the building they were in so I thought the light coming through most of the day was really great. The lines were a bit long at times but we ended up finding some adorable AP pins. We only went to one board and then just went through the spinning box line with all 3 of our other tickets. It was a lot of fun. Every time we would get just about to the front of the line the box would get refreshed and Megan and I would both SQUEAL in excitement. LOL It became quite funny by the end of the day.

The food selection was nice but we were so busy trying to get through the lines that we did not really eat much. I grabbed a couple of things for us to snack on in the line while we were waiting but did not get to try much.

I did not get to do too much trading with others which was the only thing I was bummed about. I traded with 2 or 3 people but they were large trades so that was nice. There were so many books and things I did not get around to looking at. I would have loved to have more time for that. I was hoping to find some things I wanted but time just flew by the whole day!

The best part was meeting so many great people. I wish I could recall everyone's name now. I should have been writing them down like a few people I talked to were doing. :) Greg and Debby, it was so so great to meet you two as well as your daughter. She is really sweet. I hope to get to see you guys at another event in the future.

Ok, I have pics so let me grab them from my camera and I will be back in a few to post them.

Alright, picture time. I have a lot. Hopefully it will let me post them all.

The line waiting for registration to begin. :)

100_9658-1.jpg

100_9659.jpg

Inside...

100_9663.jpg

100_9665.jpg

100_9664.jpg

100_9680.jpg

100_9681.jpg

100_9682.jpg

100_9667.jpg

100_9669.jpg

Auction Lots... (still curious to know what these went for) :lol:

100_9670.jpg

100_9671.jpg

100_9672.jpg

100_9676.jpg

100_9674.jpg

100_9677.jpg

Previews of pins in next post.

Here are some random shots of the upcoming pins.

100_9685.jpg

100_9684.jpg

100_9687.jpg

100_9688.jpg

100_9712.jpg

100_9713.jpg

100_9714.jpg

100_9715.jpg

100_9716.jpg

100_9717.jpg

100_9708.jpg

...and the Alice pins which I am dying to have. I must have stood there drooling over them for at least 15 minutes...lol I love them all but that jumbo keyhole door one... WOW, I absolutely have to have that pin! Release day is 8 days before my birthday so I am hoping I can manage to get my hands on it by my birthday...lol :lol: Seriously, I am loving that pin SO SO SO MUCH!!!

Alright, ready???

100_9703.jpg

100_9711.jpg

100_9710.jpg

100_9704.jpg

100_9709.jpg

100_9705.jpg

Alright, I think that is about it. :) For those who get to head out to try and get the Alice pins... you are some seriously lucky folks!! :bowdown:

Excellent pics! Thank you for posting these. Oh man, I'm really wishing I would have gone now. I really really need to get to one of these events. >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back