• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

New to DFP!

New to DFP!

TNTahan

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my name is Tyler and I am from Arizona. I am somewhat new to Pin collecting. A few years ago, my father started collecting Steamboat Willie Pins. Being older, he was not very “tech” savvy to be able to find and research pins. I started to help him and his collection became ours, and was something we did together. My father unfortunately passed away a few months ago. I have kept the collection and been working on making it complete. It currently stands at almost 450 Steamboat Willie Pins. Many of these pins were only available in framed sets, that we got and broke (for the steamboat pin) and had a lot of pins left over out of these sets. They were given to my daughter (who just turned 10) to keep and/or trade. We have attended several local events where she has learned about pins and how to trade, as well as learning about trading in the parks. She has started herself a very impressive collection of “anything pretty”. My daughter and I try to attend the smaller events in Arizona, but are looking to try to go to some of the bigger ones in California and Florida in the future. I am somewhat active in a lot of the FB pages, so you may have seen a post or two from me in the past. Just wanted to introduce myself on here as I just joined DPF.

Welcome to the forum! :lgm: Sorry about your dad passing, but how wonderful that you got to build a collection together. And bring your daughter into the fun! We tend to have a lot of representation at the bigger events so if you do go, you'll have lots of company to share thoughts with.

Welcome to the forum! :lgm: Sorry about your dad passing, but how wonderful that you got to build a collection together. And bring your daughter into the fun! We tend to have a lot of representation at the bigger events so if you do go, you'll have lots of company to share thoughts with.
Thanks Ajk! I am still learning the site, is there a search bar anywhere I am missing?

Welcome to the forum. What a beautiful way to start collecting, I am sure your dad enjoyed your time together searching for pins. Sorry to hear of his passing. Now you are spreading pin trading with your daughter.

Hi and Welcome! I'm so sorry for your loss, but I fully support your decision to not only keep but complete your joint Steamboat Willie collection. Not only will it keep alive the hobby the two of you loved so much, but completing it will be a fantastic way to both honor his memory and keep it present. It sounds like your collection is absolutely amazing; if it isn't too personal, I would be honored if you wouldn't mind sharing it with us.

I also love that you now have introduced your daughter to your hobby and she is loving it as much as you do and your father did. You already have found the local pin trading events. There is a major ticketed annual event in Florida, usually in August/September, and it looks like there's going to be a similar ticketed one in California sometime next year. These events have just been announced at this year's event; we don't know much, really anything, about them other than they're planned for next year so you may want to consider going to either one or both.

If you have questions about trading at the parks or with guests, either in person or online ... or anything else about pins or pin trading ... please don't hesitate to ask.

Reactions: Ajk
Welcome!

We try to browse the various FB pages to see if there are any local events. I belong to various CA based groups, joined the Nor Cal group (specifically to be able to post about the events) and I think a NC and NY group too. I'll see if I can find other non-CA groups to join too.

But, if you see any events that you want to share here, please feel free to do so!

Hi and Welcome! Lovely story. I collect Mickey (with rules to keep me from collecting all Mickey pins (too many Mickey pins)... thus my name.) Would love to see pictures of the Steamboat Willie collection.

Back