• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

New to the hobby and hooked

New to the hobby and hooked

Decemberbabe

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello everyone! I just got started pin trading over the past few weeks after I started planning for a trip to Disneyworld in October. It'd be my first time going to Disneyworld in about 15 years. I started watching videos about pin trading on Youtube and since then have been getting excited for pin trading in the parks. In the meantime, I'm working on my small batch of traders that I've mostly found on ShopDisney and trading via mail.

At the moment, I'm working on building up a small Stitch collection and almost finished finding the Stitches Crashes Disney pins from last year. Looking forward to getting more into the hobby!

Quick question as a noobie- what other website do most people use for cataloguing their pins and finding people to trade for certain pins with, PinPics or PinTradingDB?

Welcome, Decemberbabe! I'm impressed that you've almost finished the Stitch Crashes set already! I have my pins catalogued on both PinPics and PintradingDB but I have found PinPics to be easier to use and the only place (besides this forum) that anyone answers my requests for pin trades. Expect to send about 10 messages to get 1 trade, though. At least, that has been my experience in the almost 2 months that I've been using it.
Oh, and you might want to check out PinandPop as well. They do online trading events and have trading boards available to paid members. You don't have to pay to use the website, though.

When using a site like pinpics or pintradingdb make sure you offer equivalent trades. Do not offer a hidden mickey for a limited edition 50. Just because the site matches your wants and their trades does not mean it is equal.

Welcome, ensure you read up on how to spot fakes and scrapped pins before you trade. Don't want to get severly dissapointed when you realize the pin you just received is not authentic.

Welcome, ensure you read up on how to spot fakes and scrapped pins before you trade. Don't want to get severly dissapointed when you realize the pin you just received is not authentic.
Yeah, I've definitely been reading up and watching videos on how to spot fakes. Haven't actually seen a fake pin in person yet, but guess I'll get a crash course on it when trying to trade in the parks :p

I think if you scan through peoples signatures you'll see alot of mention of PinPics Id's. That said alot of people seem to use both and some use neither and just trade with people they know through the forum. That way theres less chance of getting had where you send a pin but the other "trader" never sends one back :(

I haven't been in ages but the Parks themselves are known for being almost exclusively fake pins. My best suggestion would be to read up on whatever the latest batch of new hidden mickeys is (assuming they are still doing these releases) and target trading for those, i found alot more success doing this as the newer ones seemed to be less likely to have already been faked. Though i still got had sometimes :eeyore:
Also read up about sharks so you don't get had by one in the park :)

People on the forum here are great to trade with and really supportive. Its a good place to trade :)
Oh and Welcome :lgm:

Hello everyone! I just got started pin trading over the past few weeks after I started planning for a trip to Disneyworld in October. It'd be my first time going to Disneyworld in about 15 years. I started watching videos about pin trading on Youtube and since then have been getting excited for pin trading in the parks. In the meantime, I'm working on my small batch of traders that I've mostly found on ShopDisney and trading via mail.

At the moment, I'm working on building up a small Stitch collection and almost finished finding the Stitches Crashes Disney pins from last year. Looking forward to getting more into the hobby!

Quick question as a noobie- what other website do most people use for cataloguing their pins and finding people to trade for certain pins with, PinPics or PinTradingDB?

Welcome welcome! :)

And welcome to this money sucking hobby too, lol :)

That's for sure! But the most important thing is to HAVE FUN and don't feel bad if you end up trading for a scrapper or two. It has happened to each and every one of us, I promise.
It still happens after 8 years of pin trading... (although not quite as often.)

Welcome. I have a list somewhere (if it wasn't lost in the hack) of my checks for legit pins. Will flag it for you if I find it.

Hi and Welcome!

You've been given some really good advice so far and I second everything that's been said. If I might add a few tips: first, don't ever be afraid to ask questions, especially here. Everyone was new once and asking is the best way to learn.

Second, when it comes to pin trading, there's a difference between trading with cast members and guests. When trading with cast members, it's always pin for pin. Remember that the cast members' pins 'belong to Mickey,' so they don't care what you give them as long as it's an authorized (and legitimate) Disney pin that, unless the post-pandemic rules have changed, they don't already have on their lanyard. Also, remember your pin etiquette. It's okay to look from a distance, but when you get closer, politely ask a cast member to show you their lanyard when they have a chance. And when you make a trade, have the cast member hand you the pin; never just take the pin from the lanyard or board unless you have permission to do so.

Trading with guests is different as they're trading with their own pins and can ask for whatever they want, fair or not. This means that you need to be informed as to the value of not only your own pins but that of the pins for which you want to trade. Don't be afraid to ask questions; an honest trader will want you to be comfortable and happy with the trade and should not be offended. But at the same time, always use common sense; if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. Regardless of whether you're trading with another guest or a cast member, never feel obligated to make a trade; a polite 'no, thank you' is just as acceptable an answer as a 'yes, I'd like to trade, please.'

I hope this helps and, most importantly, don't forget to have fun!

Back