• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Newbies: How did you get hooked on pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbies: How did you get hooked on pins?

DaddyDaughterPins

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I must admit, the first time we took our kids to Disneyland (2007) I saw people with lanyards full of pins and thought "what a waste of money... what are they going to do with all those pins when they get home?" I had no idea about trading with cast members and other. I just assumed people bought pins and wore them like badges. Fast forward 5 years... a friend of ours told us about trading before we went to DLR and DCA in October. We bought some pins before our trip and started trading with cast members when we arrived. It was a fun way to spice up the walks between rides and waits in line. No matter where we were or what we were doing in the park, we would always have an eye out for a pin to trade.

When we came home, I knew I wanted to continue trading and stumbled across pinpics and dpf. I've had great success trading with people on pinpics and I'm now finding many of them here on DPF (tiggermickey, docfish2u, among others). I have to admit I'm somewhat of a closet trader. My daughter and I enjoy our pins and trading, but it's not a hobby that most my friends or family understand - which is fine by me! We are having fun and that's all that counts.

Looking back, I wished I had gotten into pins in our first trip!

What is your story?

I got hooked on pins in the summer of 2010. I got one pin before 2010 when I visited WDW for the first time in 2007, it was a Grumpy pin. When I went again in 2010 I saw people walking around with lanyards and pins and thought it was pretty cool. So I got a bunch of pins of the parks I visited, a few with my favorite character Alice, and a few others that I thought were cool, as well as a lanyard to put them on. When I visited DLRP last summer, one thing was sure, I wanted more pins. Sadly couldn't find any Alice ones, but I got one of the park and a few others and a pinbag to put them in.

So when I came home I finally found out that you could trade the pins with castmembers and other people. I was bummed out a bit by that because otherwise I would have traded some pins. So now I'm building up my collection and finding some pins that I can trade. This is going slow at the moment since the closest Disney store is the online UK store, but at one point I have a couple that I can trade and then I will start trading as well ^^

The pin that hooked me was gonzo as darth vader. I loved that muppet episode as a kid. Luckily I got it in my second mystery box or I would have spent a lot of money going for that one!

I went to Disneyland in 2011 with my husband and told him "I would neeeeeever start collecting Disney pins. I do not understand why people do it." On February 14th 2012, my husband and I went to Disneyland to celebrate Valentine's Day. I saw a Star Tours pin that I liked. My husband encouraged me to get the pin. While purchasing the pin, a Cast Member enlightened me about Disney pins and trading. I bought my first lanyard that day. Needless to say, I now get several of these from my husband :rolleyes:

My partner and I made our first trip to Disney in 2007. It had been many years since I had been there and his first. We were enjoying the parks and were at the Epcot Pin Station just looking at what was there. I remember seeing the monorail Hidden Mickey pins on another guests lanyard...and was in awe. They were some of the coolest pins I had seen. I remember asking them about the pins and they went into the whole pin trading thing. Well needless to say...we dropped a significant amount of money buying "trading" pins. We came home from our first trip with what I believe to be the entire 2007 Hidden Mickey Collection....and the rest is history.

What started as just something fun to add excitement to the trip is becoming something of a hobby. My main focus still is the hidden mickey collections at both WDW and DLR but is now slowly including passholder pins and limited edition pins.

Oh and I recently just booked our vacation for the September Reflections Of Evil Pin Trading event.

Hooked on pins, hmm-if the rubber backing is off then consider the sharp pin penetrating the skin, naw just kidding.

We went to WDW in 1999 and it was Memorial Day weekend. There was a line of people waiting and we asked this nice guy wearing a vest of Donald Duck pins what was happening and he told us it was a D-Day Donald Duck Dog Tag being released and we each bought 2 and kept one for sentimental reason. Then we went on a Back Stage Safari tour at AK and we were both given a cute gorilla pin. Later that night we were at the Contemporary (eat sushi and watch the fireworks) and saw all these people trading and we traded one AK pin and the 2 D-Day Donald pins for pins Paula wanted. That was it and we have been collecting since the. I only like cats and decided I wanted Figaro who looked like my Amanda and now I own everyone, but 6 pins. I need only 6 grrrrrrr, so then I collected Si & Am and I now only need 6 too!!! Now I have Chandu which no one knows how many there are since he is such an obscure kitty, but that's the fun of collecting-the hunt.

Hi

That I get hooked on pintrading is really my sister to blame.... in 2002 I got married with my husband and the 2 daughters of my sister were our bridesmaides. In October 2002 I took them as a thank you trip to dlrp. There I saw the lanyards for pintrading in the shops and pins for sell to trade with. Pintrading in DLRP was by then about a year old.
After I got a lanyard and pins from my sis I started Trading and still going on with it. I love trading with other traders and I have made many trades with other dpf members.

And I'm not alone in the Netherlands who's trading. There are at least about 297 dutch and belgian traders and we see each other 2 times a year on a dutch trading event. For the rest of the time we met in DLRP and I go about 3 times a year to DLRP for the park and trading. I also have been to WDW end last year to DL and DCA where I have great experience with trading the visitors of the parks or cast members. and I loved trading on the to dcl cruises we have maded.

hi, great idea for this. my story started several years ago on my first trip to wdw for a cherished teddies convention. i remember saying what is pin trading. well famous last words. it didnt take long for me to get hooked. cherished teddies faded out. decided to collect chip dale pins, now have 1150 in my collection and 8 pin books later. have met so many wonderful people thru pin trading. love it.

tumblr_m49pv3JMjQ1qk758e.gif

And welcome to DPF! I am going to blame my father for my pin collecting, along with my other collecting habits. During Disneyland's 45h anniversary, he bought a few pins to keep as a souvenir. I figured I'd buy some too. Then the next year I bought some more... then the next year some more.. and more.. and more... and more! He no longer collects pins, but I definitely do!

Working at WDW as a CP trading with guests is how I got hooked on pin-trading. Haven't so much traded with anyone as of late(live in the middle of the country) but I still am collecting pins that I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back