• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

No Pin Theme Collecting

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Pin Theme Collecting

DiamondDollJeanette

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have been told by many I should pick a certain theme for my collection and stick only to that but I really am just picking pins by whatever I like. Aka if I see a pin I trade for it just based on liking it and not because it fits my collection theme. Who else collects this way?

So I have been told by many I should pick a certain theme for my collection and stick only to that but I really am just picking pins by whatever I like. Aka if I see a pin I trade for it just based on liking it and not because it fits my collection theme. Who else collects this way?
That's how I started , then I found I had a lot of a specific character (Jessica Rabbit) so decided to start collecting enough of her to make a display .
Since then I've collected Tinkerbell / Cheshire Cat / Jafar / Evil Queen , all to a point where I have displays I'm happy with (There's always a few that slip by me though , less thanks to DPF) so now I'm back to basically what you say , collecting a small selection of whatever I fancy at the time

I think a lot of people just collect pins they like. It's perfectly fine if you enjoy the pins! Specific collections can come out of those choices. I have some very specific collections but I also have some pins that don't fit any particular collection. I just like them!

Last edited:
I also just collect what I like in pins. I'm also fairly new (about 6 - 7 months from the purchase of my first pin) and I like so many Disney Characters that I find it hard to limit myself. I guess it also depends on your access to pins in the end too, as I'm sure people find where there are lots of pins they can purchase, it is easier to narrow down what you are collecting to keep on a budget.

I find collecting themes helpful for narrowing down that huge world of Disney pins out there to something manageable. That said, one of my collections is just general "sets" and that's where I let myself get things that don't fit anywhere else. Like the dragons from the medieval event for example.

Sis & I started off with Hidden Mickeys before trying to focus our collection on Belle (for me) and Mulan (for her)...but then we got distracted by Little Green Men, Jessica dancing (a la Dancing with the Stars), Marvel, Wreck-it-Ralph, The Incredibles, Monster's Inc., PODMs....well, a lot....

I tried to narrow my focus to just a few characters but I find myself buying/trading for pins that do not fit those narrow parameters. These pins become side collections. I'm still trying to decide if I am really going to collect them or trade/sell them.

I do display my collections. Since I have limited wall space available, I really do try to stick with those main collections.

I do get some variety. I also help with my hubbie's and two sons' collections.

I also collect some pins just cause I like them! And I can be picky about theme pins, too... I love Kim Possible, but even though there are basically only 14 pins, I've only got/am seeking out the ones I like. I think it's a little silly to tell someone else they *have* to settle on a theme-that's your own choice. My miscellaneous pins make up their own little set!

I have so many different collections. I honestly just collect the characters, rides, movies, themes, etc. I like. I'm not a completists with any of my collections.
I see myself not being a completist either, I bought my self Good vs Evil 5 pack and I ended up trading most off because I don't like the look of a pin set because they are so similar.

That was how I started collecting, casually in 2002, seriously in 2003. I was advised by my fellow traders as to which characters currently were the most popular and (well-intentioned) cast members suggested that I purchase every limited edition pin I could acquire, in multiples (one for my collection and extras to trade). Needless to say, I started off on a mission to acquire every limited edition piece of shiny metal with a pointy back attached to it, in multiples, never mind how I actually felt about the pin itself. I figured, hey, even if I don't like it ... it's limited edition and a good trader; someone will like it, right?

If I had it to do over, I wish that someone had told me NOT to do exactly what I did, but to select a character or theme (or maybe a few, depending upon how prevalent the chosen character/theme is to acquire). If you aren't careful, it gets too out of control and you'll end up with too many pins and no place to put them (this is personal experience talking). I've since narrowed down my collection to my primary with a few narrowly defined side collections and I can't remember the last time I acquired a pin that didn't fit into one of those collections. I'm currently now devoting as much time as I can spare to sorting through boxes (no exaggeration) of pins; I need to figure out what exactly I've got and list it for trade or sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back