• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Oh Oh, Did I lose my PinPics account?

Oh Oh, Did I lose my PinPics account?

Ajk

Let's party like its 2019.
Rating - 100%
211   0   0
So, I can't log onto PinPics. I get an invalid user/password message. But I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that both are correct. I seem to remember somebody else reporting a similar issue not too long ago. What did it end up being/how was it resolved? Earlier today I couldn't get to the site at all and was getting a portal error. So I hope they were just moving things and haven't moved everything yet. I very much hope that it's not that my account got erased somehow. It would not be fun to have to recreate it.
Thanks.

It’s still going on today. I tried to use the “contact us” form and after I hit submit it just went to a white screen. So no idea if it went through or not

I mean if they have purged everyone’s accounts, that’s a guaranteed death knell for their site. Which is unfortunate.

ETA: now I can’t get pintalk to load either :/

It’s still going on today. I tried to use the “contact us” form and after I hit submit it just went to a white screen. So no idea if it went through or not

I mean if they have purged everyone’s accounts, that’s a guaranteed death knell for their site. Which is unfortunate.

ETA: now I can’t get pintalk to load either :/

In theory, they would restore the site from a backup. Which means that the most recent user changes wouldn't be saved (updating owns, wants, trades). An annoyance, but not doomsday.

And this would be a good opportunity for my regular reminder to folks to not depend on third party websites that can be unreliable and to keep track of your owns, wants and trades in a format you control (i.e. excel spreadsheet, word doc, photos on your phone/computer, etc.)

Reactions: Ajk
Okay in the catagory of overly wishful thinking.... perhaps they are in the process of transfering over the login/password files to the new server/system/website? Which is supposed to also host the new forum.

(I almost said that all the way through with a straight face)
lol.gif

PS - if they do actually launch and new improved site with forum i will be thrilled, i'm just tired of their tactics

I wonder if there was something to the site, i mean since they have Memberships that cost money now, there could be something to worry about if you were someone that sent pinpics money throught there site at one time. For some reason I don't trust them to have had really good encription or securtiy on that stuff, but perhaps they did that through an outside party that does have a more robust structure?

At any rate security one O one, if you use your login and password combo for pinpics on any other sites change your passwords on those other sites just in case it was compromised you don't want any other account using the same combo to be open to bad guys. That also goes for any other sites where you use your same email address with the pinpics password as if they got any info they would likely have gotten the emails that went with as well. Just my two cents, no idea if anything was compromised or not.

A couple weeks ago, I started receiving this notification from Google Chrome upon logging in to Pinpics. So? Seems to at least back up what they are saying.

4035cbaf8730c625e05044afea06916e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And this would be a good opportunity for my regular reminder to folks to not depend on third party websites that can be unreliable and to keep track of your owns, wants and trades in a format you control (i.e. excel spreadsheet, word doc, photos on your phone/computer, etc.)
Do you have suggestions for an easy way to do that? I've started trying to do it in both excel spreads and word docs, and after like the tenth pin I want to bang my head against the table. It just seems so frustrating to maintain, especially with PinPics never being updated.

Edit: Also, I don't know how to hack, but I can see someone wanting to hack the website so they can take control of it and make it usable, lol. Like a Robin Hood of pin trading. Is that how hacking works? Probably not. But I'm at that point of frustration with the owners.

Do you have suggestions for an easy way to do that? I've started trying to do it in both excel spreads and word docs, and after like the tenth pin I want to bang my head against the table. It just seems so frustrating to maintain, especially with PinPics never being updated.
It's just a long slow process, but once you've gotten up to date, it's easier to keep it up to date. It also depends on what you want to keep track of. I like having a pic of the pin, the retail price, the LE size (if applicable), the date of release and the source (i.e. is it a DL pin or WDI or DSSH or Box Lunch, etc.) at a minimum. I keep separate documents for wants/owns and traders. But I've kept that info from very early on in my collecting, so I just have to update owns and wants as they happen, and I keep a relatively small amount of traders (less than 50 pins generally) that's easy to keep track of even when I'm trading weekly at the parks, so I'm constantly updating the list. It's a commitment and an effort to keep up, but I'm in this hobby for the long haul (20 years and counting), so keeping track of what I have from the beginning has worked for me. And I'm not dependent on PinPics or PintradingDB or any other third party that may disappear at any given time and/or not have nearly the amount of information that I have, having kept notes from the start.

From what I understand, hackers will basically hack a website with low security to attempt to gain access to user login and passwords to try and use that info to hack accounts on other websites. So probably a good idea to change your password if it’s the same on other sites. But the very slow rate that Pinpics adds new pins to their site is extremely frustrating so I may move to excel spreadsheets also.

Back