• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Only collecting based on certain films/characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only collecting based on certain films/characters

Matthewlondon

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Are their people on here who ony collect based on one movie/character or try to lol? Would love to see pictures of people's collectionss were it has a theme or is based on one film or character. I'm really trying to limit what I buy as I don't like clutter. Most of my collection is Sleeping beauty/Maleficent with a few Cinderella pieces but it's so hard with every release not to just buy everything lol.

I've collected "Alice in Wonderland" items for a very long time. Then when I finally gave in and started seriously instead of just sporadically collecting pins about a decade ago, they basically became the heart and focus of my Wonderland collection. And since I spent all my money on pins lol I had to pull back on buying general Wonderland items anyway, so I limited myself to certain categories of Wonderland items that I'll still buy on occasion. I still can't resist most plush or anything I can wear (clothes, accessories, etc.). I keep trying to stop buying plush though - I even managed to not buy any Tsum Tsums - but when I see a big plushy Wonderland character, I still find it hard to resist! And thanks to some friends' help, I did build up a bit of a Wonderland vinylmation collection though I never originally intended to do so!

I collect Alice. Just Alice. Sometimes I veer, but that is what I focus on. ;)

I went crazy over the cinderella live action collection, i've never been a collector of dolls or pins before but i ended up getting the 17inch doll blue gown, regular wedding set, lady tremaine and fairy godmother dolls. Also got the pins, slipper, tes set, coach ornament, compact mirror, journal and tsum tsums so yes went a bit overboard. The only other collection i have is a few bits from the art of aurora collection, i got the Jewellrey box, lithographs, snow globe and aurora 17inch. Im limited in space and also don't like clutter so need to be really careful with how much i buy. Ive decided my next collection will be beauty and the beast, i will try my best to resist the aladdin collection (im assuming it will be art of aladdin/jasmine?) later the year and alice next year. I think i might just ban myself from the disney store and the website for the next couple of years lol its really tempting when something new comes out to get carried away with all the hype. Its really hard to have self control esp when you see all the lovely pics in the forum.

I usually only collect Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast and just recently Cinderella! It just saves me money and because I can't afford to have complete collections of pins and dolls haha

I definitely have character- and movie-related foci. For example, I'm a Frozen collector, but even within that, I especially collect Marshmallow from Frozen, I like just about everything that features him, while Olaf, I don't really collect.

Some movies I really don't collect anything from, but I may see an item from it that I particularly like, and just get that one item. I may end up with a few items from that movie.

My collections can definitely be grouped (Frozen, Cinderella, Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Brave and Tangled are my more-collected Disney movies) but it's not like I feel like I need (or even want) everything from each of those product lines, nor is it that I don't venture outside those product lines at all. A lot of it comes down to the actual item, for example, for the fabric dress princess Sketchbook ornaments this year, I got Elsa and Anna, naturally enough...but also Snow White, because I thought her ornament was so pretty and her colors matched my tree's theme, even though I don't have very much Snow White stuff. Meanwhile, I didn't get the fabric ornaments of the princesses I normally collect more of than Snow White, just because the ornaments themselves didn't do it for me or go well with my tree.

I admire those collectors who have "everything XYZ," those are fun collections to visit. But for me, I feel like I have to have an excitement for each item I buy on its own, I can't justify buying it just to complete a collection (an exception to that is my Frozen Panini stickers because I feel that it's a bit like puzzle pieces of a single item, a complete Frozen album. I'd really like that. But if I can't end up completing my album, that won't drive me as crazy as I know it would drive some people).

In order not to end up having a clutter of visual "stuff", I don't take out everything to display at once. I create my own themes to put on display in parts of my home, and those themes are not always strictly within one movie, but they end up having a cohesive look. My fiance has compared my regularly-changing little set-ups/dioramas to toy store window displays :)

I don't have a current picture of my collection but I only collect Dr. Facilier pins. I have a bunch of other pins but I'm not actively collecting anything else.

I collect characters I like. I collect Ariel, Snow White, Jasmine, Mulan, Merida, Pocahontas, Rapunzel, and Aurora. They are my favorite characters and the ones I have the most merchandise for. I have some merchandise for Tiana, Cinderella, Belle, Tinkerbell, Frozen (mostly Anna and Elsa), and Mickey Mouse. I love the Disney princesses so my main collections are of them. I don't have a lot of room in my room to display most of my collection so until I move out, a lot of it is sitting in boxes. So the only characters merch I have displayed at the moment are my favorite princesses.

When it comes to Disney art, I mostly collect the characters I like. I do have 2 Haunted Mansion pieces since it's my favorite ride from the park. I love the Wonderground gallery because they have a wide selection of characters and art I really like. I love Liana Hee's work so I try to get most of her pieces.

I tend to collect only versions of characters I like, I rarely buy complete sets of things. Although sometimes I do buy versions of characters I'm not super crazy about because I enjoy the product itself (ex I own the Snow White dfdc set because I quite enjoyed her dress and face). Generally I collect princess stuff, and there's multiple things for Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Tangled, and Frozen. Although I really enjoy Mulan and Pocahontas, I do not usually find merchandise I really like for them. I also own Lion King merchandise and would love to get some BH6 stuff. Really I'm not that fussy lol, if I like the product, I'll buy it. I also have quite a bit Eeyore stuff, but that's more just keeping a small plush and mug collection. I do find it really helps to only purchase items I really like (not even just characters because some character products are not that appealing to me *cough* 2012LECinderelladoll *cough* ), leaves me more space for things that I may really like in the future. I admire people who have themed collections though, they look very nice and well put together!

The only thing i really collect is anything rapunzel. I have her wedding doll, the 2nd release of her big singing doll... i even braided and flowered her hair haha. I also have the smaller version of the doll because it came with a guitar and everything. i have a rapunzel and flynn vinylmation... i got the flynn custom made because i thought disney did a terrible job with his vinyl. I have an itty bitty from hallmark of rapunzel i have multiple glasses and pins. I have a cute statue thing from hallmark with rapunzel putting a lantern in the air with flynn rowing. I have the thomas kinkade picture i have a music box and a lantern that plays music when you push a button. I also have the toddler doll of rapunzel and got a canvas framed. my mother just recently bought me a banner with my name on it and with scenes from the movie and i also have a wet paint sign from disney world with rapunzel and flynn on it. Oh and a beach towel with the lantern scene on it as well as the alex and ani bracelet. Theres some crazy cat ladies... i'm a crazy tangled lady hahah. I don't even know where the obsession came from..... lol

I am strictly Merida with my other collections, I have a lot of stuff with her on. However with pins I have a bunch of collections; Brave, Figaro, Disney Live Action, Oswald, Black and White Mickey haha the list goes on and on!

-Charlie

I only collect the princesses, also Esmeralda but in my eyes she's a princess! I guess my collection is quite broad, but it's mostly ariel, rapunzel, frozen atm, I don't have any Snow White or sleeping beauty

My collection is mainly just princess disney store dolls (only have very few dolls which aren't from the disney store).
If I buy other non-doll items it's either limited items related to doll releases or it's Mulan or Rapunzel stuff - my two favorite characters.

I only collect what I like from the films I like, only merchandise of the characters in that film I like, and sometimes only merchandise of the character in the look I like them in.

So, I loved Brave, but not the dolls so much- I got the art book and the journal and pen set. I have some Elsa merchandise, but mostly her in the coronation outfit, which is my favorite, and none in her Snow Queen outfit, which I dislike. (She's in that outfit in my mug and on my chocolate tin, though.) I'm not really a Frozen collector, though, I mostly focus entirely on Elsa and even then only Elsa in outfits that are not the Snow Queen one. I have Tiana dolls, pins, pez dispenser, and a cup from Disney on Ice. For BH6 I have the art book, Baymax sipper, Baymax plush, and GoGo doll. I'm kind of finicky about the things I like and so usually my collections are small and seemingly random.

With pins I collect a few things I like because it's a (sometimes) inexpensive and space saving way to appreciate my other favourite movies.

Generally though I only collect The Lion King merchandise and collectables :)

I definitely have character- and movie-related foci. For example, I'm a Frozen collector, but even within that, I especially collect Marshmallow from Frozen, I like just about everything that features him, while Olaf, I don't really collect.

I love Marshmallow too! I only recently started collecting Marshmallow-specific items after I got the plush! He's nice to collect because his products are rarer than those featuring the other Frozen characters, so it's easy not to go overboard.

I am also beginning a Mr. Toad collection. I just got one of the Disneyland Easter eggs to get me started and now looking to see what else I can find with the character. He's a bit more obscure so finding stuff will be more of a challenge, but that makes the hunt all the more enjoyable!

I admire all collectors that can keep a very strong focus on a particular film's collectibles or even a very specific range of characters. I like too many Disney Characters, which is a real bother as I end up buying way too many things!

While I'm not a hardcore collector, I tend to use a general "emotional attachment" rule - if I don't have an emotional attachment to the character I can't justify buying it. And it depends on how nice it looks, too - if i like the character but the product looks weird I'll pass, but if it's a character I loooove/has no merch I'll get it even if it's hideous, lol.

I primarily collect the villains. This is how my collection is made up:

Maleficent- Definitely my favorite. I go out of my way to get a lot of her merchandise. She's my only LE doll, and I try to get most merchandise they release of her. There are a couple things I pass on (ex: the dishtowels on the DS website) but overall I'm a sucker for all things Maleficent. The movie nearly broke the bank for me.

Cruella- a clear number two for me. I have quite a bit of merchandise of her. I don't necessarily go out of my way to get her, but then there's not a TON of her currently either, so it's pretty easy to acquire. I have both Glenn Close dolls, and I LOVE them.

Ursula/Jafar - Love these characters, and usually pick up merchandise of them if it's appealing. Not necessarily everything, though, as I passed on the classic Jafar doll because I thought it looked really bad.

The Rest - The Wicked Queen is probably fourth in amount of my collection, and that's because there's a lot more merch of her than nearly everyone except Maleficent. If there was more independent merchandise of Lady Tremaine, I'd have quite a bit of her (got the DS Cate Blanchette doll) and I really hope to get the LE doll someday. I would gladly welcome more Yzma and Frollo merchandise as well.

Sleeping Beauty - Kind of an honorable mention. I will pick up stuff themed over the whole movie if I like it. Books, mugs, home video releases, etc. This adds to my Maleficent collection as well.

I only collect Beauty and the Beast, with the exception of the Animator dolls. I did collect all of them but I have them in a display case. It just gets way to "hoarderish" if you collect everything.

For a while I had 6+ colledctions going but I've really cut down to about 4 or so, two really set in stone.

1st;
Big Hero 6. I'm dead set on collecting all of the pins, no questions asked lol I fell for that movie hard. I'm just missing the Jumbo atm, I'm very proud of the fact that I have all of the International pins XD

2nd; Cinderella, but only in her rags which boils down to the Sing Sweet Nightingale scene (Cindy with the bubbles). But she stepped aside since BH6 came out.

I also kind of have Sophia the First and Nani collections going, but they aren't as crazy serious as the other two (mostly BH6 lol). Those are my babies <3

Last edited:
Aside from pins, my main collection of "stuff" is Lion King. I've been collecting Lion King merchandise since the movie was first in theaters.

I do have some non-Lion King merchandise, but I don't really have rhyme or reason to what I get. It's mostly my favorite characters on things I think are really cute (like the Robin Hood vinylmation or the Daisy mini tsum tsum).

For non-Disney, I also collect Applejack from My Little Pony (with a focus on G4/Friendship is Magic) and Hufflepuff-themed items from the Harry Potter series.

For many years my collection was limited to strictly Jessica Rabbit/Who Framed Roger Rabbit; I will try to post some pictures here for you, but you can see most of my collection (my basement is not finished yet so the pics show my mess :facepalm: ).

After getting into the 17" dolls however, as well as how difficult it is to trade and such with SUCH a limited collection, I have expanded! :lol: As far as my pins, I am now collecting Jessica Rabbit (always will), Sleeping Beauty and some of Ariel in her pink dress. My doll collection will not be limited to any characters or movies. :facepalm: I have a Frozen collection, but I am NOT doing Frozen pins!!! :lol: Jessica will always be my main squeeze and priority collection though and includes dolls, pins, figures, artwork, posters, etc. :)

I have a collecting problem in general but I try to keep it focused, although friends and family tend to hinder me there. (My mother has been buying me everything Donald lately I got a bag and some dishes for easter)

I have and always will go after Beauty and the Beast. I collect everything from postcard and stationary to figures and paintings. My wallet is doomed when the live action comes out. I joke with my fiancé that I need to have a room dedicated to just Beauty and the Beast. He seemed okay with that if he can have a suit of armor and a fish tank large enough for his growing catfish.

The next biggest collection is Madame Upanova from Fantasia. We used to raise ostriches so I've grown attached to them. The problem is they don't make many things with her. We have the plush and figures so now I'm just working on the pins.

My Little Mermaid collection is growing but I try to keep it focused just on pins, comics, and some figures. I also have the princess dolls from all of the movies. Although I really just want one of each heroine and her prince so I'm getting kinda picky for the ones I don't have. The 17 inch are pretty but they're not on my radar. (I had to many LE dolls I couldn't touch when I was little so I don't enjoy them now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back