• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Opinion on this trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinion on this trade...
I'm getting a little concerned that some traders might be putting too much emphasis on just LE or release origin and I wouldn't want new traders that are just learning to read into that. I think it would be a real shame for someone to assume that the other person was trying to cheat them by proposing a trade which clearly, people are split on. I mean, it isn't like the person is asking for a $100 pin here...I don't believe they are trying to take advantage of anyone and it is unfortunate that people will jump to that conclusion just because of the LE's involved.

So, I'm just going to lay the facts out there and since we are talking about this trade, this one is just as good as any to take a look at. THE INTENTION OF THIS IS NOT TO CHANGE YOUR MIND OR SWAY YOU ONE WAY OR THE OTHER. I don't really care which side of the fence everyone fall because it is always a personal decision. I just want to show that just because your gut doesn't like a trade does not necessarily mean that it is radically unfair or that the other person has bad intentions.

We all know that it is up to the person involved and they should trust their gut blah blah blah. But that doesn't really help when your gut is on the fence...

So, the pins in question:

Wants/Trades: 26/27
Origin/LE: WDI LE 300
Original Cost: $9.95
Released: Summer 2009
Current Market Value: $10-$16 Lowest recent sale was $9.99 and currently available for $16

Wants/Trades: 4/17
Origin/LE: DS LE 250
Original Cost: On sale now $7.99
Released: Late 2010
Current Market Value: $7 - $9 Depending on whether you have a discount you could get this pin for less than $8

Wants/Trades: 21/78
Origin/LE: DA LE 1000
Original Cost: $10
Released: Late 2003
Current Market Value: Unknown Past sales have ranged from $10 - $30

Ok, so with all that laid out there, if you just said "Gasp! You want a WDI LE 300 and a DS LE 250 for a DA LE 1000?!?!?! You are trying to cheat me!!!" that would be really unfair judgement on the other person.

The wait time sign has been out for a year and a half now and the demand for it has not jumped. It is not a difficult pin to find even through it is WDI LE 300 and its value hasn't really increased since its release.

The Pook-a-Looz pin...there isn't much interest in it at all. Look at the wants trades numbers. And it has been on sale and still nobody wants it. That value isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

The Hook....could you wait it out and find one for $10? Yeah, sure, but how long are you going to have to wait? Plus, it is a very nice pin with a lot more interst in it than the other two. There are more people wanting this pin than the other two combined despite it being LE 1000.

And that is where DA comes into play. Yes, people put emphasis on DA pins for two reasons:
1) Disney Auctions released some of (note I said some of, not all) the nicest pins ever made.
2) Disney Auctions in its prime was years ago and the older a pin gets *sometimes* the harder it is to find. They gradually get rooted in people's collections or they remain with people that left the hobby years ago.

Does that mean that just because a pin is DA that it is gold? NO. Just like LE 300 WDI doesn't necessarily make it a good pin. And just because a pin is old, does that make it gold? NO. A crappy pin released years ago is just an old crappy pin. But an awesome pin that was released years ago.....good luck. That may not be an easy task, regardless of LE.

LE isn't everything!!! Let's look at another example just for kicks. This pin is a ridiculously difficult pin to find:

Barring a total meltdown of pin collectability...you will probably never see this sell for under $200. Even under $300 might be rare (if you ever see one please let me know!!! :) ) So, if someone came to you and said "I have this pin and I really want this set... but I have no money to get it. Would you buy it for me and trade it for the Gracey pin?" So, that's 6 LE 100 pin in exchange for 1 LE 250 pin....looking at it that way is seems unfair, but that is misleading. You'd actually be getting the deal of the year.

I know everyone trades differently, but please try not to pass judgement on someone that actually proposes a fair trade that you just don't happen to like it. That doesn't mean they were trying to cheat you. Now, if they are asking for 10 really good LE 100 pins in exchange for their one LE 100 pin that you can buy right now for half the value of your pins....then yeah...by all means, label them scum. But not when the trade was actually fair (within range) in terms of value.

Trades should be approached with an open mind and objectively. Once you have done that, then you can bring in your personal preferences and determine if the trade is right for you.

I don't think this is a fair trade . . . but thats just me. I would only make a trade like that if it was a super rare trade that I really really wanted. If its not a must have I would wait it out . . .

Last edited:
i really appreciate all of your feedback, and many of you have made very valid points on both sides. Being a newer trader, i love hearing how people make trading decisions and what sways them. I personally think it's a combination of things, for me at least, of how much i want a pin, will i be trading for a keeper or another/better (possibly) trader, the monetary value (both original and current) as well as the desirability, and of course, your gut feeling, if something pulls you to one pin over another.

i'm digesting all the info, and i'll just put it aside for now and not overthink it, and when the time comes, if the offer is still on the table, i'll see what happens! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back