• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Opinion on this trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinion on this trade...

PinKitten

Cristina
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Hoping to get some opinions on whether or not this would be a good/fair/etc trade.

I have the opportunity to get this pin, which is on my wants list (not super high up but not low on the list either, probably somewhere in the higher middle as far as how much i want it, if that makes sense LOL):
pin27203

Pin 27203: Disney Auctions (P.I.N.S.) - Carousel Horse (Captain Hook)

The person wants these two pins for it:
pin72608

Pin 72608: WDI - Wait Time Sign - HKDL Cinderella Carousel

and

pin79828

Pin 79828: DisneyStore.com - Pook-a-Looz Series - Snow White and Dopey

We both decided to think about it this week and when we meet again at the park this weekend, we'll decide.

Do you think that's a fair trade, taking into account desirability, LE size, the fact that it's a DA pin vs a WDI+DS.com pin, etc? Just curious as to what some of the thoughts from more seasoned traders are...thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited:
Unless, there are some Ebay auctions showing that the DA pin is extremely valuable, I would pass. 21 people trading is a decent number, it's a LE1000 which isn't particularly rare these days. While I do not know if this particular pin was sold this way, a lot of the DA P.I.N.S. pins were sold at WDW Cast Pin Parties and Cast Connection for $5 in the 2005/2006 time frame era, and some still show up from time to time (my Mom got me some a couple months ago), so I am leery of trading multiple good pins for those types of pins. I would take my chances of being able to make a better deal later.

But I don't know how you acquired your pins. I know WDI has a sale section where pins can sell for $3 or $5 instead of normal retail, and I don't know if that Pook-a-Looz set was cheap in the recent pin sale (I know some were). Sometimes, I solely look at the cost I paid for the pins in question vs the price it would take to acquire said pin. If I got the pins cheap, I may not care that I am giving up potential low LE traders (if they were cheap, how wanted are they?) Also, if you have regular access to WDI type pins is another question. If you can replace them with similar traders easily, then I would be more willing to make the trade.

Last edited:
Unless, there are some Ebay auctions showing that the DA pin is extremely valuable, I would pass. 21 people trading is a decent number, it's a LE1000 which isn't particularly rare these days.

For new, low profile releases, yeah, LE 1000 isn't really rare these days. But there are lots of old LE 1000 Auction pins that are difficult to find. True, you have 21 people trading, but over 70 want it. I look at market value more anyways, and to me, the trade looks evenly matched in value. Both sides I'd estmate coming in around the $30 range but that's if you are watching ebay and buying at the right time. Sure, values can fluctuate and one of the pins could go way cheaper than what I'm estimating if nobody is watching, but that is where I'd think they would come in.

thanks for all the feedback.

I'm torn, as I'm not sure that I would do both of mine for that Hook pin. I'd maybe trade the sign plus a non or higher LE pin, which is what i'll probably counter with. but i think she may try to trade harder for it, in which case i may just pass for now, we'll see. =) I'm not desperate to get it, and i'm trying to constantly remind myself that patience is a virtue. If i'm this hesitant about a trade, it might just not be the right time yet.

I agree that if you are hesitant don't do it, BUT if it's a pin that you aren't likely to come across again and you are like me, that pin might come back to haunt you. I had a chance to buy a pin I really wanted a while back and it was about $30 over my limit. I rationalized thinking that surely more would come out on the market and so far (6 months), I've been wrong. If you think it's something that over time could become more of a want and you got your two pins pretty cheap, I think I would go for it.

P.S. It never hurts to try your tactic...offer her one of them plus a different pin and see what she says!

I don't think it's a fair trade. People put too much value in DA pins. I've traded for plenty of LE1000 DA pins without having to give up an LE300, let alone an LE300 and 2 other pins. In fact the only time I've EVER traded 3 pins for one was HM for non HMs. I guarantee you that the pin will come around again and it will be right. That pin is also not worth $30, I don't know which buyers erudolf is buying from on ebay, but if it came up I know sellers who'd sell if for about $8. No offense to erudolf.

ALWAYS TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS! Don't make a trade that you're uncomfortable with just to make a trade because you'll regret it later. From what I've observed pin traders are notoriously impatient. Don't let that get the best of you. Patience is a virtue. I desperately wanted the Tiger Lily DLRP PTN pin and so I bought it for $29.99 on ebay, which was still an amazing price since her BIN is usually over $100, but a few days later I actually found someone who accepted a DSF pin for it, when previously people had told me that they wouldn't trade for anything other than LE100s or 2 or more LE250/300s. It's all in the timing and unless something is one of a kind, then it will always come back around. Sometimes though you have to be more patient than other times.

Out of curiosity I looked up closed DA LE1000 pin auctions

2 sold for more than $30 (Dumbo and a Tink)
6 for between $20-$30 (all Stitches)
29 between $10-$20 (until you got down to the $13 range, either Tink or Stitch)
over 50 (I stopped counting) below $10

Most of the pins were between $8-$12.

The only one of this particular pin, though, is a BIN at $42.50, but it hasn't sold yet. It all comes down to is this pin, is one of the truly HTF ones or not.

I don't think it's a fair trade. People put too much value in DA pins. I've traded for plenty of LE1000 DA pins without having to give up an LE300, let alone an LE300 and 2 other pins. In fact the only time I've EVER traded 3 pins for one was HM for non HMs. I guarantee you that the pin will come around again and it will be right. That pin is also not worth $30, I don't know which buyers erudolf is buying from on ebay, but if it came up I know sellers who'd sell if for about $8. No offense to erudolf.

ALWAYS TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS! Don't make a trade that you're uncomfortable with just to make a trade because you'll regret it later. From what I've observed pin traders are notoriously impatient. Don't let that get the best of you. Patience is a virtue. I desperately wanted the Tiger Lily DLRP PTN pin and so I bought it for $29.99 on ebay, which was still an amazing price since her BIN is usually over $100, but a few days later I actually found someone who accepted a DSF pin for it, when previously people had told me that they wouldn't trade for anything other than LE100s or 2 or more LE250/300s. It's all in the timing and unless something is one of a kind, then it will always come back around. Sometimes though you have to be more patient than other times.

couldn't agree more. i think you can wait and i am sure you will fine it for a more reasonable price(i mean pins).
take me as an example, i really wanted to get Pin 41847 and two people were asking me for my two Pin 80326 and i guess basic in how wanted the pins were it was a fair trade, however i decided to wait, i went to the love is magical event and i was able to get this highly wanted pin(Pin 41847) for just an extra pluto(Pin 80132) i had and the pin i traded away is not very wanted because it is new but it is a very nice pin, and the girl was crazy about it they are both the same LE and i just told her that the only thing i was interested on was the this stitch pin and she said, yeah, no problem, so i was so happy i waited, and she was very happy with her new pluto pin(since she collect dogs) and i was super happy with my new stitch. i think you should wait, and for pins like these that are Disney auctions and that people over value them(most of them, there are some that i agree that should be over value for the Low LE and beauty) you should try to trade them from people that don't trade online because then they start over valuing these pins too much, the pins you have are had to get and they cost you a good amount of money, don't hesitate and through it away because it will be a bitter sweet experience. patience is everything, just try and try, have fun and the best of luck. :)

thanks, everyone.

If she doesn't accept my offer of the wait sign plus possibly one rack pin, i'll probably pass. this is actually a trader at the park, not an online trade. i'll keep you all posted on what happens!

I don't think it's a fair trade. People put too much value in DA pins. I've traded for plenty of LE1000 DA pins without having to give up an LE300, let alone an LE300 and 2 other pins.

Not all "DA 1000" pins are created equal. There are tons of them I wouldn't even give $5 for. And just because a pin is LE 300, that doesn't make it good either. Also, the person is asking for one LE 300 and one LE 250, not and LE 300 plus 2 other pins. So, just because you have done many trades without giving that much up doesn't mean that it would be necessary in other cases.

In fact the only time I've EVER traded 3 pins for one was HM for non HMs. I guarantee you that the pin will come around again and it will be right.

That's great if that works for you, but there are pleanty of pins out there where that just isn't going to cut it and they will stay on your wants list forever. And you can't guarantee something like that. There are pins I wish I would have gotten years ago because I was just sure they would come up cheaper that I'm now kicking myself for not getting.

That pin is also not worth $30, I don't know which buyers erudolf is buying from on ebay, but if it came up I know sellers who'd sell if for about $8. No offense to erudolf.

Ok...somewhat inappropriate.....but value is in the eye of the beholder and it was my ESTIMATE that it was around $30 just like it is your OPINION that it isn't worth that. I've seen it sell for that much in the past and (as I hinted at in my previous post) I'm sure that others have gone dirt cheap (usually BIN rather than auction). But, you have to be lucky enough to be looking at the right time to find the good deals.

I don't just pull values out of the sky and who I buy from has nothing to do with it. In the past I have see pins from that carousel series sell for around $30 lots of times. They could very well be going cheaper today because all pins are a bit depressed right now. So yeah, right now $30 may be a little high, but I'm looking more long term and the same could be said for the two pins the person is asking for. The wait time pin is sitting out there right now for $16 and I don't think the Snow White Pook-a-Looz pin is going to hold its value at all. In fact, Disney still has it listed for $7.99...it has been on sale of over a week and people still aren't buying it. So today, right now, you can buy the two pins for $24 and you can't buy the Hook anywhere for that.

And let's say it took a year to find a Hook at that magical $8 price....would enjoying the pin for a year be worth paying/trading the extra $16 today? That's a personal question that everyone has to ask themselves.... I have some pins that I paid a little more for years ago than what they are selling for today, but I don't necessarily regret it because I have enjoyed having those pins for several years and the little added cost has been worth it.

ALWAYS TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS! Don't make a trade that you're uncomfortable with just to make a trade because you'll regret it later.

That I can agree with. Other people's opinions of values aside, it is up to you do decide if it is right for you. There are trades that I wouldn't do that are perfectly even in value just because I have more attachment to one pin or another.

From what I've observed pin traders are notoriously impatient. Don't let that get the best of you. Patience is a virtue. I desperately wanted the Tiger Lily DLRP PTN pin and so I bought it for $29.99 on ebay, which was still an amazing price since her BIN is usually over $100, but a few days later I actually found someone who accepted a DSF pin for it, when previously people had told me that they wouldn't trade for anything other than LE100s or 2 or more LE250/300s. It's all in the timing and unless something is one of a kind, then it will always come back around. Sometimes though you have to be more patient than other times.

Patience can also bite you in the butt if you are not careful. Look at the Love Bug Valentine's Stitch from last year. He hung around on the Disney site for almost a week, pleanty of time for anyone to buy him. And then, POOF! He was gone and now he is really tough to find. Same goes for the Disney Store Rapunzel. Even though there are two other pins with the exact same artwork of her out there, that one is tough to find. It works both ways.

And let's say it took a year to find a Hook at that magical $8 price....would enjoying the pin for a year be worth paying/trading the extra $16 today? That's a personal question that everyone has to ask themselves.... I have some pins that I paid a little more for years ago than what they are selling for today, but I don't necessarily regret it because I have enjoyed having those pins for several years and the little added cost has been worth it.
Pretty much agree with all of your post but this part really resonated with me. Many pins I have and love are going on eBay for much less than I paid for them but I am glad I have had the chance to enjoy them longer rather than be uncertain whether I would ever own that pin or not.

I have seen that pin sell on the auction site for around $13. It is not one of the higher ones of that series (The Maleficent is the hardest of the group) I think it depends on how badly you want the pin. They are not plentiful but if you are willing to wait you can get it for the cost of one of those pins. People trade DA pins harder because they are not around anymore for sale. Everything comes around if you are willing to wait for it though.

If someone came to me and wanted to do this trade, I would pass. I think a WDI LE 300 and a (2) DS LE 250 pins is just unfair to you. I feel they are trying to take advantage of you and if they offered me that trade, I would feel that they are trying to take advantage of me.

Now I'm trying to make a deal with someone for a low LE pin. I know that I may have to trade up to a few different pins for it, but I'm okay with that, as long as it's fair to me and to them at the same time. If someone wanted three of the DA LE 100's I have for it, or even two, I'd tell them thank you but no thank you.

:soapbox: Not to get off topic here, but I would be careful trading in the park, *some* (Not all) of traders in the park are a little less then honest when it comes to value. They may try to make you believe they are doing you a favor by taking your your LE 50 AP pin and they are the ones taking a loss trading you a 2000 dancer. I have that issue with a lady in Disneyland who wants a LE 500 DLR cast pin from me (it's a very sought after pin, 20 trading/149 want). She won't offer me a fair trade for it, all she'll offer a higher LE for it. She tries really hard to get me to believe mine is two steps from a trash can and her pins are all gold and worth such. This is what I have at least learned from being in the park trading. I've met plently of really nice fair traders in the park too, more of them then the unfair traders, but still enough of the unfair to be worth talking about. Please don't take this the wrong way. In the end, it's no different then online.

Long story short, as Shauna said, trust your gut. :) Only you know if it's truly worth it to you. :stitch:

My advice is research the pin. Look at what the people trading that pin on Pinpics want. If all their wants are LE pins then the trade to me is a good one. If they want rack pins, DSF, or easy to find pins, then don't trade with them, try email.

But EVERYTHING, I repeat everything, hinges on how badly do YOU want that pin. If you are just dying to get your hands on it, have doubts about the trade, or you are willing to wait, then don't do it. Do you believe you can trade those two pins for something better? Can you get something higher on your wants list? If the answer you come up with is yes, then wait. If the answer is no, then make the trade. It's all up to you and how you feel about the pins you are getting and the ones you are trading.

Go with your gut, and what will make you smile at the end of the day. Dollar values and trade ratios are all well and good if you are talking about pins you do not care about. It all boils down to how bad you want the pin they're offering, and how bad you want to hold onto the traders you have.
Do what makes you happy and what is a good value in your opinion.

Just to clarify in case anyone is confused....this is ONE pin, not two.

pin79828

Pin 79828: DisneyStore.com - Pook-a-Looz Series - Snow White and Dopey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back