• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pin Databases - List Them Here ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pin Databases - List Them Here ONLY

starry_solo

Judge of the Dark Court
Staff member
DPF Administrator
Rating - 100%
541   0   0
We apologize for the delay in posting these rules. The administrators and moderators have discussed the issue extensively, both on and off the forum. We remember there being rules in the forum banning outside links of any kind that was not officially Disney, unless prior authorization was obtained from the forum owner.

Of course, with the hack in the first quarter of 2021, we lost a lot of information. We have no time to go searching for this information and thought it would be better just to have a post about these rules.

So, without further adieu, here are the rules:
  • It is not proper etiquette to join a forum simply to advertise your own website. One would have thought that this did not need to be said, but apparently it does.
  • No outside links are allowed to be posted, unless prior authorization is obtained from the forum owner, administrator and/or moderators. If you seek this authorization, you must send one group private message to @Cicada @dancecats @Ksnuggles and @starry_solo
  • References to outside websites may be made, without providing the actual website address. This means, no www.yahoo.com. However, you may tell people the name of your website and say whether it is a dot com, dot net, dot org, etc. domain;
  • All references to pin databases can only be made in this thread;
  • This includes reviews, complaints, etc.
  • All references to Disney Pin Releases can only be made in the thread linked here: https://www.disneypinforum.com/threads/2021-pin-discussion.75165
    • When the next year(s) come around, make sure to use the next year(s) threads.
  • All threads posting about pin databases that are older than this thread have been soft-deleted and remain accessible to moderators, administrators, and forum owners. So, if anyone wants to post about another database, they can start after the second post;
  • The next post will have all known pin databases that exist as of today’s date, with a reference to the post number (if applicable) that provides the website name with the dot com, dot net, dot org domain as well as any comments.
Please make sure to follow these rules.

Thank you!

Known Pin Databases
*all these are dot com, to the best of our knowledge

Disney Pinventory
Pin and Pop
Pin Trading Database
PinPics

Known Pin Apps

Collectible Pin Trader

Upcoming Pin Databases

My Pin Central = it is unknown whether this will be a dot com or dot net

It is not proper etiquette to join a forum simply to advertise your own website. One would have thought that this did not need to be said, but apparently it does.

This appears to be targeted at me based on recent conversations we've had, so I'd like to set the record straight. This ID was not created three years ago solely to advertise a web site, it was to keep my identity anonymous for good reason. Below is a partial quote from a larger post that is still active. Seek it out if you wish.

Disney Pinventory said:
I have been a member of DPF for many years, although I wish to remain anonymous temporarily for reasons I will release later. For those of you who do know who I am, please respect my wishes to remain anonymous for the time being.

I seem to recall that Pin Pics has created IDs on here numerous times over the years for the sole purpose of advertising their web site, yet nothing was ever done about it. Disney Pinventory was created in 2014 because of the DPF community and all that was going on at the time. It was the same reason PTDB started at that time as well.

The birth of Disney Pinventory in 2014

Just trying to understand these new rules…

How are they consistent with, for example, the following thread that as far as I can tell is still available for posting in?
Or should that thread no longer be available and was just missed in the deletions mentioned?

i don’t understand the rules above and they were never here before. I have been a member of this site for over ten years and have never seen anything like this before. Again I have nothing to do with the site that I mentioned. I brought attention to it because I was looking for a better site than ones that are available. I thought that this was good for us as collectors to have multiple sites for reference or to catalog our pins. i did not mention the website when I asked about why my post was deleted and it was deleted again. Why can’t we share information about websites if they apply to our community. I see other posts talking about other sites that are not DPF And they were never removed. I didn’t think I was doing anything wrong. I was just trying to show that I had found another site that we could use.

I think I may be a bit confused, too. Maybe you could clarify a few things for me.

It states that we are unable to share external links unless they are officially Disney. So does that mean the links to shops, like that Pink one just posted a few days agowouldn’t be allowed? I imagine it will be a lot harder for people to quickly access sites where limited quantities of pins are being sold if the link is not included.

Also, I know that the twins shared their great blog. Would links like those no longer be allowed either?

I sometimes include a link to my Imgur traders in case it is easier to view external. I know I sometimes have a hard time viewing content on here because I view everything on a mobile device. Under these rules, that seems like it would also no longer be allowed. Is that correct?

The last thought/question I had related to copyright. Will not sharing a direct link to the source of any content on the forum lead to some copyright infringement issues. I know some people made comments about their intellectual properties a few weeks back. I don’t know much about copyright laws when applied to forums, but it was something that crossed my mind.

I am sure I probably just misread or misinterpreted something. But I figured I would ask the question because I may not be the only one getting confused. Thanks again for your help clarify any confusions I currently have.

“All threads posting about pin databases that are older than this thread have been soft-deleted” except for “Pin Trading Database Needs Help” of course. Can’t imagine why that one got to stick around.

Asking the mods and @Cicada to reconsider these limiting rules and the necessity of them for our pin trading hobby.

I would also greatly appreciate being provided the purpose for having these rules. Thank you in advance for any information you are able to share.

So the answer to the question about why one pin site seem to be singled out is, for the sake of "consistency," to essentially limit ALL pin sites in the way they can use DPF and the discussions about them that DPF will allow. To make DPF members jump through hoops to get a URL to access tools and resources to make their pin collecting life easier, by making them use a search engine to get to the sites in question, instead of a direct link.

That's not a way to build a vibrant, open and egalitarian pin community. This forces chatter about these places that are a *cornerstone* in collecting and trading into the shadows of email, chatrooms, Facebook, etc where new people don't have access or won't know where to look. It hides valuable information from people who need it, and implies those who wish to communicate about those places should be punished. This is community destroying, NOT community building.

My posts trying to rescue some of the lost information in the hack under these terms would be a violation, as they would be posting links to outside sites. Archive . org and Google's cache. They are tools, the same way those databases are tools for pin collectors / traders.

No point in having a Marketplace because people need an outside site to host their photos. If you are going to be consistent about banning outside links, be consistent. No embedded photos or links from any of the pin site when people post their ISOs. No ISO or For Sale posts in the list format of "Pin #xxxxx" which we know means a Pinpics number. It would be completely unfair to reference other sites when it benefits DPF community involvement, but deny them the ability to post their information, or others to post about them, in the same open posting manner but being restricted to a single thread. No links to Imgur, Flickr, etc, of people's photographs.

You might as well, if possible, have @Cicada disable the automatic linking function for the message board because what's the point of having a function people aren't allowed to use. People likely will be unaware of the restrictions and post things inappropriately, so the least the forum could do would be to make it harder for people to accidentally break the rules regarding links to other sites. It would help the moderators from having to clean up all the inappropriate links people will undoubtedly post, as well.

Oh, but I doubt thought was given to the greater implications of DPF using other site's data, and those type of things will be "exceptions."

IMO, this is a disgraceful and embarrassing direction for DisneyPinForum.com to take, and completely dismissive of the rest of the DPF community. While the owner, admins and mods have the right to do whatever they deem, most forums do not take actions that are as harsh and restrictive as this, without the support of the community and often a period of community discussion. The spirit behind the original rule against “hit and run” style advertising / selling posts, as I understood it, was for the purpose of building a community. However, DisneyPinventory was denied the ability to become part of the community when their introductory posts were deleted, right off the bat. And as we see now, even though the site started a long time ago, the owner IS part of the DPF community. They weren't even given a chance to become regular contributing posters.

Last edited:
My presence on DPF these past few weeks has been sporadic at best; as some of you know, I have health challenges that I rarely discuss and I've had more trouble than usual. I apologize for that, but I expect to be here on a much more regular basis once again.

I'm just posting this to acknowledge your sentiments and let you know that your comments have been read. I value each and every one of your opinions and they will be given very serious consideration. You have raised very valid questions and concerns; I intend to discuss them with the moderation team and I hope to return with satisfactory responses in a timely manner soon. I don't want to post anything beyond this because it's after 2.30 in the morning; I should be asleep, not posting, and crafting the articulate, thought-out responses you deserve is beyond my sleep-deprived brain's capabilities at the moment.

Just wanting to add that this is very sad and disturbing to me. How can you have online discussions without ever referring to another link. Already mentioned are things like outside image hosting, etc. But how do you point to a blog when you've uploaded pin-trading and/or Disney stuff? I'm sorry, but the forum here has a limit on images per post, so you're knocking people out that way.
And I do see a BIG inconsistency with allowing the PTDB thread to go untouched. It feels like a lot of politics and negativity are sneaking into DPF, and it's a real shame. This has always been a friendly community. I understand not wanting people to advertise, but be consistent. And if you're going to throw the baby out with the bathwater, then I guess that's a quick way to kill a lot of the community action. If you have a problem with a certain member or a certain post or something, why take it out on the whole place? Deal with it like Mods with the person you're upset with or the post(s) you don't like. But making rules that "apply" to "almost" everyone . . . but not your own signatures and pet projects doesn't seem like a Magical way to handle an issue.
Sorry to sound upset, but I'm just disappointed with this direction that DPF is going. Sis and I don't have mobile devices or social media accounts, so this is our main spot for Disney cheer and Pin Trading fun. But it's hardly seeming cheery or fun today.

I just want to know were members actually making any complaints about other websites being shared and posted?? Because this sure looks like the mod team just up and decided on this, and also conveniently made loopholes to allow the database at least one of them is apart of.

It's been said above by many, but I just wanted to add that it has been lovely when members post helpful links to things released. I'd never have learned about Mondo or FigPin, for instance, if members hadn't posted about them! Also, I've never felt like posting other pin databases was a bad thing, as it was always rather unbiased! With the animosity to PinPics this year and the only thread staying being PTD . . . I am getting the feeling that something is wrong. And maybe it is in the pin trading community at large. I don't know. But we are not on Facebook and Instagram or other social media platforms. So, DPF has been our main place for pin fun and 50% of our trading totally! Of course, if the Mods do stand on this, that's their decision. However, Sis and I have been discussing how the pin fun is getting disappointing. Not sure if it is the site hack in April or the PinPics changes this year. Something changed. I'd really ask the Mods to reconsider, as this doesn't seem like the same fun pin place, and these rules certainly make it even less so. Sharing the pin and Disney fun with other like-minded people is one of the big things that this website allows and makes very fun! Again, it's been said very well by the members above. Just asking for you to reconsider this stand.

With the animosity to PinPics this year and the only thread staying being PTD . . . I am getting the feeling that something is wrong.
Well PTDB is one of the mod’s pet projects, so obviously it gets to ignore the rules.

Heck, that’s probably the reason for this ban in the first place. If you can’t compete fairly, block all mention of your competition.

I saw some Disney news this morning that I wanted to share with fellow fans here. Instead of being able to post a link to a story about it in a relevant thread so that everyone could enjoy it and discuss it together, I had to send a private message to a couple people and we’ll have to discuss it alone.

I’m very sad about this.

@starry_solo could you answer one question, since you are the one that started this new post and appear to be in charge, if our site here, DPF, does not have a database for us collectors to keep track of our collection why is it wrong to post about a site that does and helps our community grow? Actually any mod or owner can answer I’m not singling out starry.

I saw some Disney news this morning that I wanted to share with fellow fans here. Instead of being able to post a link to a story about it in a relevant thread so that everyone could enjoy it and discuss it together, I had to send a private message to a couple people and we’ll have to discuss it alone.

I’m very sad about this.

Same here. This is just so sad. Instead of sharing with the community, we have to do everything via PM. I can e-mail friends one at a time myself for all that's worth.

Not sure trying to cram all posts about 6 different databases into one thread is the best idea. It will be impossible to make heads or tails out of everything.

If PTDB asked and received permission (per info posted in another thread) to have their post (outside of this thread), I am submitting the same approval be extended to all pin databases listed above.

I've been gone for a while, and I have to say that limited and poor moderation of this forum has been a pretty big reason for me leaving. This is just another step in the wrong direction.

Personally, I think that this community is excellent and has a lot to offer, but when it is overly controlled, it becomes claustrophobic. It would be great to see an expansion to the mod/admin team, not only to bring new ideas and perspectives, but to provide better coverage.

Also, as others have commented, it's really disturbing and depressing when decisions like this are made without consulting the community at all. I'm really disappointed to see this.

If PTDB asked and received permission (per info posted in another thread) to have their post (outside of this thread), I am submitting the same approval be extended to all pin databases listed above.
Which, if granted, makes the rules moot.... Certainly not suspicious at all that PTDB has some measure of an exception....

Hello I'm newer to the forums but I am a part of many other online communities.

It can be frustrating when someone joins a community just to self-promote their own project, and is often considered rude. However, often tools or content created can be something useful for the entire community. One of the best solutions I have seen is if you want to post content you have yourself created, you must also participate in the community. For example, make ten community posts for everyone self promotion post. Or have been in the community a certain amount of time first and made a certain number of posts. That way the community benefits from your discussion and presence as a fan, you benefit from sharing your project but aren't just advertising, and the community benefits from your project and knows you aren't just dropping your link and running. I would like to recommend a similar solution, as I would like to see all the solutions to the "pin cataloging problem" that other pins fans can create, whether it's blogs, websites, videos, podcasts, or other database sites.

I want to discuss pins on the forums, wherever they may be listed, and link what I find here! Personally I'd prefer no rules - of someone has made a site or likes a site, as long as it has no malware and it is related to pins, I'd like it to be allowed to simply be posted.

Good luck making a decision about how to fairly decide what may be allowed to be self-promoted here, to balance self-promotion with benefit to the community!

Hello I'm newer to the forums but I am a part of many other online communities.

It can be frustrating when someone joins a community just to self-promote their own project, and is often considered rude. However, often tools or content created can be something useful for the entire community. One of the best solutions I have seen is if you want to post content you have yourself created, you must also participate in the community. For example, make ten community posts for everyone self promotion post. Or have been in the community a certain amount of time first and made a certain number of posts. That way the community benefits from your discussion and presence as a fan, you benefit from sharing your project but aren't just advertising, and the community benefits from your project and knows you aren't just dropping your link and running. I would like to recommend a similar solution, as I would like to see all the solutions to the "pin cataloging problem" that other pins fans can create, whether it's blogs, websites, videos, podcasts, or other database sites.

I want to discuss pins on the forums, wherever they may be listed, and link what I find here! Personally I'd prefer no rules - of someone has made a site or likes a site, as long as it has no malware and it is related to pins, I'd like it to be allowed to simply be posted.

Good luck making a decision about how to fairly decide what may be allowed to be self-promoted here, to balance self-promotion with benefit to the community!
Sadly, this new set of rules affects a lot more than just some self-promotion. The majority of links shared here don't have anything at all to do with self-promotion. It's just throwing the baby out with the bathwater. They could have a rule about self-promotion without passing a rule about every link ever posted. Let's hope that the mod team answers back here, because this is just so sad. I'm in a blue funk about it today. :(
Personally, I'm very thankful for the various Disney-related news, projects and items that people link here. I can't find it all by myself, so it's great that we can all share. @DisneyJ does an amazing job keeping things up to date for us all, and I always check in to the various topics related to merchandise, etc. Lot of good those will be when we have to type out a whole paragraph describing how to find something, rather than posting a link. Bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back