• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pin Databases - List Them Here ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pin Databases - List Them Here ONLY
Sadly, this new set of rules affects a lot more than just some self-promotion. The majority of links shared here don't have anything at all to do with self-promotion. It's just throwing the baby out with the bathwater. They could have a rule about self-promotion without passing a rule about every link ever posted. Let's hope that the mod team answers back here, because this is just so sad. I'm in a blue funk about it today. :(
Right, from what I understand these new rules were put in place due to moderator frustration about self-promotion, which is why it would make sense to tackle that as a rule rather than a blanket ban on links.

Right, from what I understand these new rules were put in place due to moderator frustration about self-promotion, which is why it would make sense to tackle that as a rule rather than a blanket ban on links.
That used to be the rule - really it was a bit more of a guideline, and done on a case-by-case basis - as well as no direct links to eBay auctions, mostly for the same reason. This extension is a bald overstep and a blanket that doesn't take into consideration really anything this forum does.

Hello I'm newer to the forums but I am a part of many other online communities.

It can be frustrating when someone joins a community just to self-promote their own project, and is often considered rude. However, often tools or content created can be something useful for the entire community. One of the best solutions I have seen is if you want to post content you have yourself created, you must also participate in the community. For example, make ten community posts for everyone self promotion post. Or have been in the community a certain amount of time first and made a certain number of posts. That way the community benefits from your discussion and presence as a fan, you benefit from sharing your project but aren't just advertising, and the community benefits from your project and knows you aren't just dropping your link and running. I would like to recommend a similar solution, as I would like to see all the solutions to the "pin cataloging problem" that other pins fans can create, whether it's blogs, websites, videos, podcasts, or other database sites.

I want to discuss pins on the forums, wherever they may be listed, and link what I find here! Personally I'd prefer no rules - of someone has made a site or likes a site, as long as it has no malware and it is related to pins, I'd like it to be allowed to simply be posted.

Good luck making a decision about how to fairly decide what may be allowed to be self-promoted here, to balance self-promotion with benefit to the community!
This site has had similar rules since it entered it's 2nd year in 2011, regarding posts made in the Marketplace section.

This situation involves an inventory site set up by a DPF member, who wished to remain anonymous regarding the secondary site. When questioned about why this person was treated differently than other information driven sites, the result was a blanket ban on outside links.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back