• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pin trading etiquette

Pin trading etiquette

Ajk

Let's party like its 2019.
Rating - 100%
211   0   0
OK, don't make fun of me, but over my 20+ years of collecting, I have rarely, and only fairly recently, traded in person with strangers and I am always unsure of what I should do. If I am walking around a trading event and folks have their pin bags open on the table, do I just walk up and start looking through them? That seems like what you are supposed to do, but I always feel weird about that. Should I say "May I look at your pins?" That feels the more polite way of doing it, but presumably they are there with their pin bags open for exactly that purpose so the question feels unnecessary. What do you all do at events?

OK, don't make fun of me, but over my 20+ years of collecting, I have rarely, and only fairly recently, traded in person with strangers and I am always unsure of what I should do. If I am walking around a trading event and folks have their pin bags open on the table, do I just walk up and start looking through them? That seems like what you are supposed to do, but I always feel weird about that. Should I say "May I look at your pins?" That feels the more polite way of doing it, but presumably they are there with their pin bags open for exactly that purpose so the question feels unnecessary. What do you all do at events?

Yup, you start going through their pin books/bags. If you want, you can start up a conversation about asking what they collect, what they're looking for.
If you see prices, you ask if they are interested in trading too, or just selling.

I have rarely traded Disney pins in person, but have many times at Hard Rock pin events in the past. It’s like anything else - people are all different. I always ask if I may look at their pins. Some people cheerfully say “sure”, some people have shrugged and nodded (like that’s obviously why the pins are there). But I always felt better asking before touching.

I agree with the others about asking before turning the pages. I probably get some sort of "well obviously" response more often than not, but I don't let it stop me from asking, because everyone is different, so this is a conservative approach.

I also try to strike up a conversation as we look through each other's books and the obvious topic (as starry said) is asking what they collect. And a good chance to ask if they sell or trade. Of course within WDW/Epcot that is a moot question since there is no selling.

Storytime:
I had an experience at one event (the one maiarebecca held in Austin) where the husband (a non-pin trader) was watching the pins for his wife. I asked him if I could look and that was when I learned he was watching the pins. He said go ahead and look and pull out any of interest. So I did pull a few pins and the wife was not back when I completed my review of her pins. He insisted I take her pins to my table and he would send his wife over to trade. I thought this was a terrible idea for the husband to encourage and felt uncomfortable. But I knew I wasn't going to steal them and he absolutely insisted, so I went with it. When I finally was able to speak to the wife she was so incensed about my having her pins already, I think it destroyed any opportunity to trade with her. She just scooped up her pins and huffily took them back to her table. I decided that day to never do that one again no matter what any spouse might encourage. Lessoned learned!
[Makes me wonder if I got in the middle of something there... hahaha]

Also, if a trader is busy with someone else and by looking at the books you would be in the way... try to come back when they are not busy or wait to the side (I usually (although not always if it is a particularly busy trader) do the former - try to come back). Every once in a while (not terribly often) I come across a trader that gets rather sharp when they get interrupted.

Are you preparing for all the pin trading occurring next week?

At our first event in 2014 at WDW during the UP event we were brand new and just went up to people with a smile and a “hello there, how are you today!” Since we pretty much had Loungefly pins at the time we educated folks on what we knew about our pins and that sparked up conversation between new and old traders alike! I will say that trading in person is like the first day of school - you are freaking out a little in the beginning and then start to talk and make friends who have common interests. You also find out who the Eddie Munson’s are and who the Angela’s are (pardon the Stranger Things reference… I’m obsessed with the show!) Sparking up a conversation about your ISOs will open the door to look through peoples books (people will most of the time invite you to look through the books at this point or your can offer us ISOs on your phone/ask their ISOs). People who want to see others enjoy pin trading will help you find ISOs at the events or exchange information to help trade in the future! We plan on taking business cards to pass out to folks we trade with so that they will have our info if they would like to trade in the future! I think you’ll do fine - if you happen to be at the Central Florida Pin Chasers event on Saturday come by our table and talk (we’ll have some of our business cards on the table - same name as here on the forum)!!

@Ajk
I always say "Hi!" and ask how their day is going. Never hurts to start out with a smile. :)
I ask if it's okay to look at their pins.
I ask if they've had any Luck trading for pins they want.
I ask what they like to trade for or Collect.
Never interrupt an active trade. But, ask if it's okay to look at the bags/books on the sides.

If you don't like the trade, say either "Thanks for the offer but, I'm going to pass" OR "Thanks for the offer but, I'll have to think about it" and move on.

Just treat the Trading Area like a Party you've been invited to where you don't know anyone. Be friendly, upbeat and, most importantly, have FUN!! :)

BTW, I'll be at the Sunday Pin Meet at the Disney Springs Holiday Inn. It starts at 9am but, we won't arrive until around 1pm. I'll be "rolling around" in a wheelchair with my Tigger ears on. Hope to see DPF people there. TTFN, :tigger: Sue

Reactions: Ajk
Are you preparing for all the pin trading occurring next week?
Yup. The annual Epcot event. I usually just trade on line while waiting on the boards. That’s easy. Just turn to the person next to me and say “Wanna trade?” But this year I think I’ll have extra time as I had no luck on the extra trading tabs RSP. So more time in the back room than usual.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts!

Yup. The annual Epcot event. I usually just trade on line while waiting on the boards. That’s easy. Just turn to the person next to me and say “Wanna trade?” But this year I think I’ll have extra time as I had no luck on the extra trading tabs RSP. So more time in the back room than usual.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts!
Will look forward to hearing about the event from everyone.

Back