• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pinpics Proposes Ebay Photo Use Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now, after this let's discuss how scared you got them that they changed their statement overnight.

Anyone care to do a victory dance Rileys?

This TOS was a recent change. Pinpics allowed everyone to use the Photos for commercial purposes, so long as Pinpics was attributed as the source.

I believe latemetal's old PinTalk id was magicalpins. Look what he says here about the policy in 2010 - see post 6:

http://www.pintalk.com/showthread.php?413-a-long-rant-on-The-pics-in-PinPics&p=3035

So, if what he is saying in 2010 is true, it has been "NON-COMMERCIAL" use since 2010. And he also explains why he does not want to add pictures, the same way he did in a recent post here. He does not want Ebay sellers use his pictures.

See post # 114 in this thread:

As far as not giving pictures to pinpics right away, I do this a lot for a few reasons, one, if I have the best looking picture on eBay, the better it is for me. Other sellers can not use my picture becuase I did not give them permission and if they try, I can have their auction removed if I wanted. Once the picture is loaded onto pinpics, it becomes freely useable by all sellers on eBay. I do not have a problem with this and support this. This is why a lot of times, I will only add or send in a better picture once I am sold out of a pin.

Last edited:
It has already been established in courts that basic "data" cannot be protected by either copyright nor trademark. Only the format of how the data is presented in the context of the published work is protectable and the format of the table must be distinct to the publication and unique to qualify for a trademark.

If I'm not mistaken, descriptions added to pins (regardless of time taken) do not qualify as owned intellectual properties. And if it did, it would technically be owned by Disney because measurements and descriptions are specific to their property.

Same thing as if I wrote: "Bob is 6'10", brown eyes, brown hair, and was born in Kansas." No matter how long that took me to write it, I can't claim that I own it and I wouldn't even be able to get the exact phrase copyrighted.

I hope that the new pinpics owners will actually change their mind about this ban of pictures on EBAY. I think we ALL use ebay for buying and selling. And pinpics is a place for ALL of us to share our information and photos. Why should we let the few people who are selling bad or fake pins ruin the sharing of pinpics we have all come to depend on? And besides, over 90% of bad sellers sell in bulk lots. So how does this policy prove helpful?

This reminds me of the cast members that decide to stop wearing pins because of 1 bad trader. Why are we letting those bad traders ruin it for the rest of us? And why is banning pictures from EBAY going to help people not buy bad pins? The seller will just get the picture from some other source. So what has been accomplished?

It is very frustrating to see the rules being changed because of a small group of bad traders. We are letting the bad ones win by restricting usage for the entire community. It is not right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back