• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pixar 24-Feature Film Challenge!!! Thanks For Playing ~ Now In Theatres: Lightyear!!!

Pixar 24-Feature Film Challenge!!! Thanks For Playing ~ Now In Theatres: Lightyear!!!
Inside Out

3. Choose one specific scene or sequence to analyze – tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response?

The Memory Dump – When Joy and Bing Bong are stuck down there, they both fall victim to the despair of the place. Bing Bong immediately gives up. He knows it is a place of no hope, and a place he has desperately been trying to avoid. He knows his time is limited. Joy just has a meltdown. She cries after finding forgotten memory balls that she knows are going to eventually disappear into smoke. Unable to understand why Riley is letting go of such fond memories, she reminisces a little with the ones nearby. She watches several as they play through their soon to be lost memories. One of the memories is a core memory though, and as it blazed bright, Joy looked through the entire sequence, only to find that it’s happy ending, had a sad beginning. That revelation causes her to pause, and remember what Sadness said about that particular memory. It was then that she realized that it was impossible for Riley to be made up of just happy memories.

This entire scene is a huge character builder for Joy. The darkness and austerity of the memory dump actually works to demoralize and break her character. It gives her nothing to focus on but the severity of her situation. By doing so it allows the revelation of her own pent-up emotions to finally be released. Once they are brought to the surface, she experiences the growth of understanding things just a little bit better.

5. Choose one specific symbol in the film to analyze.

Memory Balls –
These things are obvious in their intention. They are presented as orbs, balls, crystals – whatever you want to call them – they each represent a world. Each and every memory of life (in this case, Riley’s) is broken down into fragments of time in these memory balls. And each one unto itself, for one moment in time, was the entire world to Riley at that moment. From the second the movie starts the importance of the memory balls is defined. Losing them, or seeming to change them, is a huge impact on Riley as much as her subconscious team. Scrambling these memories, losing them, destroying them becomes such a crux of the film. The fear is that without them in a specific form or way will cause irreparable changes to Riley’s personality.

6. Choose a single line of dialogue that you find to be the most significant/impactful line in the film and why.

“It was the day the Prairie Dogs lost the big playoff game. Riley missed the winning shot. She felt awful. She wanted to quit.” – Sadness

This quote goes hand in hand with the answer to question number three. This short monologue from Sadness to Joy is a fulcrum. These words push Joy to understand the importance of all different kinds of memories, not just the good ones.

9. What is the iconic shot of the film? What single frame of animation do you find to be the most memorable and why?

All of the emotions standing together looking over the landscape of Riley’s brain with all the specific islands is my choice. The representation is just a brilliant depiction that can make it a relatable way to understand how and why your memories and personality do the things they do. It formulates it the way a child would perceive it.

10. What single pin do you think best represents this film for you? Why?

PTDB - 42172

The hangry Anger pin wins hands down…this emotion is relatable to everyone! Anyone who claims to have never been “hangry” is fibbing! Simple as that!

And here we are to what is considered probably Pixar's biggest dissapointing movie thus far: The Good Dinosaur... I look forward to seeing the reviews for this and if time has been kind to it...

Now Playing: The Good Dinosaur(2015); Sanjay's Super Team(2015) ~ 1/13 -1/19

zdIxYVz.png
gbCAloo.png

Please remember that you may post your analysis during the one week window starting 00:00 Thursday through to 24:00 Wednesday DLR Time, and any responses/comments for that film by the "wrap-up" day(the following Friday); This will help keep the conversation moving.

Film Schedule

8/9-8/16: Toy Story(1995)
8/17-8/23: A Bug's Life(1998); Geri's Game(1997)
8/24-8/30: Toy Story 2(1999); Luxo Jr.(1986)
8/31-9/6: Monster's Inc(2001); For the Birds(2000)
9/7-9/13: Finding Nemo(2003); Knick Knack (1989)
9/14-9/21: The Incredibles(2004); Boundin'(2003)
9/22-10/4: Cars(2006); One Man Band(2005)

10/5-10/12: Ratatouille(2007); Lifted(2006)
10/13-10/25: WALL-E(2008); Presto(2007)

10/26-11/1: UP(2009); Partly Cloudy(2008)
11/4-11/10: Toy Story 3(2010); Day & Night(2009)
11/11-11/17: Cars 2(2011); Hawaiian Vacation(2011)
11/24-12/1: Brave(2012); La Luna(2011)
12/2-12/8: Monster's University(2013); The Blue Umbrella(2012)
Winter Break: Toy Story of Terror(2013); Toy Story That Time Forgot(2014)
1/6-1/12: Inside Out(2015); Lava(2014)

1/13-1/19: The Good Dinosaur(2015); Sanjay's Super Team(2015)
1/20-1/26: Finding Dory(2016); Piper(2016)
1/27-2/2: Cars 3(2017); Lou(2017)
2/3-2/9: Coco(2017); Toy Story of Terror(TV Special-2013)**
2/10-2/16: Incredibles 2(2018); Bao(2018)
2/17-2/23: Toy Story 4(2019); Toy Story That Time Forgot(TV Special-2014)**
2/24-3/2: Onward(2020);Kitbull**(2019)
3/3-3/9: Soul(2020); Out**(2020)
3/10-3/16: Luca(2021); Burrow**(2020)
3/11: Turning Red(2022);**
**These Films did not have an accompanied Pixar Short associated with their release; I've paired the remaining with Oscar nominated short films/tv specials.
+Coco: Initially paired with Olaf's Frozen Adventure before it was cut a week after it's premier; I've paired it with the Toy Story of Terror .
+Toy Story 4: did not have a short premier during it's initial release; I've paired it with Toy Story That Time Forgot.
+Onward: Premiered with a non Pixar Short: The Simpsons-Playmate with Destiny; I've paired it with Oscar Nominated short "Kitbull".
+Soul: Not released in theaters; I've paired it with Oscar shortlist short "Out".
+Luca: Not released in theaters; I've paired it with Oscar nominated short "Burrow"

The Good Dinosaur
2. Choose one specific character to analyze.

Spot –
He’s a varmint, a dog, and crazy. Other times he is cat-like or ape-like, but in the end, he is quintessentially all human boy.

It’s very easy to draw the dog analogies because of the obvious behaviors – kicking dirt, howling, panting, crawling on all fours, barking, and grabbing every single thing with his mouth. He is a lot more complicated than is initially let on.

When he imitates Arlo’s use of sticks and a circle to show his family, the viewer sees he is more than just an animalistic-human. And then they hit you in the feels when Spot pushes over and buries the “parent” sticks, and begins howling. You learn that he’s an orphan. You feel for him, but yet also realize that he has figured out his way to a certain extent. By latching onto Arlo it gives Spot the purpose that he lost when he was orphaned. For him, being with Arlo was another chance at a family.

Spot shows to be a good and loyal companion. He finds food for Arlo. He protects him from threats. And in the end teaches Arlo about friendship and love, but also about letting go.

3. Choose one specific scene or sequence to analyze – tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response?

When the human family comes to see Spot
– There had been a brief sighting of an adult human male. Arlo and Spot both saw him, but Arlo was determined to continue home with Spot in tow. But as they walked away you can see in Arlo’s face that he was worried. Later, after having to rescue Spot, Arlo realizes he has to let him go and be with his own kind.

The meeting with the entire family is heart-wrenching for Spot and Arlo both, but they both know that in the end it is better for Spot to go. The scene centralizes on Spot. This is going to be the biggest change in his life. He soaks up the attention, but then returns to Arlo. With heartbreaking sentiment, Arlo pushes Spot back toward the other humans. Arlo realizes that it’s best for Spot to be with his own kind.

The Mark –
It’s a badge of honor within the family. Arlo’s parents made a big deal of being able to leave their marks on something that was important – in this case, the silo that Papa built to protect their food supply. The farm was a small working success and Papa made sure that his children understood that. He also wanted them to understand that their mother worked just as hard, and gives her the honor of being to put her mark up first. Over a short period of time everyone makes their mark, except Arlo. He endures teasing from his sister, bullying from his brother, and hard discipline from his father but just doesn’t cut it, in their eyes. No one can really seem to push him in the right direction to overcome his fears. It takes an accident and an unintentional adventure to push him to find his limits, and overcome them. Only then, upon his return does he earn the right to put up his mark.

6. Choose a single line of dialogue that you find to be the most significant/impactful line in the film and why.

“Listen, kid, you can’t get rid of fear. It’s like Mother Nature. You can’t beat her or outrun her, but you can get through it. You can find what you’re made of.” – Butch

This line says everything Arlo needs to hear. Butch, the t-rex appears to be a formidable, yet fair and truthful dinosaur, and Arlo immediately looks up to him. Butch puts him to work, and although very scared at first, Arlo finds he can still do things, even when they scare him. Later around the campfire, Butch explains his facial scars, and Arlo says he is done with being scared. He assumed that even in the face of mortal danger against crocodiles, that Butch wasn’t scared. He was wrong, and the rough and tough Butch admits as much. It was what Arlo needed to hear: that even the bravest one can still be scared, and there is nothing to be ashamed of in that.

9. What is the iconic shot of the film? What single frame of animation do you find to be the most memorable and why?

This depiction of Arlo running with the t-rex family is my choice. It represents the moment that Arlo finds himself. He was given a chance to do something, and he did it. Their screentime wasn’t much in the whole of the story, but the influence of the t-rex family was important in instilling confidence and reaffirming family for Arlo.

Pin #111830

1. What is your overall impression of the film? Some possible talking points include: what you did or did not like about it; what about the film has stuck with you; what did you find different on this viewing; how would modern audiences respond to this (for the older films)… The list goes on. Hahah!

To be honest, I went into this with no recollection of having watched it prior and with very low expectations; I'm glad they were proven wrong as I actually enjoyed it a bit. That said, it isn't to say there isn't anything wrong to critique(there's plenty) but it's a decent family film to watch in the background with an excellent score and cute storyline. The movie definitely lends a cinematic nod to Western films(with a voice cameo from Sam Elliot). What stands out is the difference is animation techniques between the characters themselves and the surrounding landscapes. The characters themselves are 3D cartoons in a somewhat crude style compared to the far more life-like backdrop. I think the stand out star for me is the musical score, which lends itself to the Western movie atmosphere it's portraying. 6/10

6. Choose a single line of dialog that you find to be the most significant/impactful line in the film and why. You can be a little loose with the “single line” bit, but let’s not go for Maleficent’s entire monologue to Philip... Rather, something like Stitch’s “This is my family. I found it all on my own. It’s little, and broken, but still good. Yeah – still good.” (brb weeping).
“Sometimes you gotta get through your fear to see the beauty on the other side.” – Poppa
As this film is about Arlo facing his fears, this is the parental lesson of Poppa teaching his son to overcome his anxiety/fears.

8. What connections or progressions do you see in this film to past films? Example: how does Sleeping Beauty progress (or digress?) the princess archetype built in Cinderella? Be specific!

There are definite nods to previous Disney Films such as The Lion King/Bambi(death of a parent, child lost calling out for momma). Another nod to a previous Pixar film is of the Trex family comparing scars, which mimic's Mater's stance from Cars 2 of showing his dings/scratches with pride. The Bird shot next to the river also mimics Mcqueen's race with Sally through Radiator Springs...
DSEAu7s.jpg

9. What is the iconic shot of the film? What single frame of animation do you find to be the most memorable and why? Post it! You can check out this link to find some great screencaps to help!
I loved the scene of Poppa showing Arlo the beauty of fireflies. It is reprised later with Arlo showing the same for Spot as well...
zadqFdw.jpg

10. What single pin do you think best represents this film for you? Why? Give us the pin number and post a picture!
I didn't see one of my favorite scene so I went with the Beloved Tales which follows their journey home.
Pin# 122644 DSSH - Beloved Tales - The Good Dinosaur.
47aHxfv.png

Last edited:
And here we are to the next sequel title: Finding Dory. I'm intrigued to compare how it compares to it's predecessor. The Pixar short that accompanies it looks very lifelike(if chibi cute) compared to the cartoonish anthromorphic aquatic animals of the Nemo-verse or the Good Dinosaur, I may have to watch it just for the graphic analysis...

Now Playing: Finding Dory(2016); Piper(2015) ~ 1/20 -1/26

5Q0LB6X.png
zV0vWSl.png

Please remember that you may post your analysis during the one week window starting 00:00 Thursday through to 24:00 Wednesday DLR Time, and any responses/comments for that film by the "wrap-up" day(the following Friday); This will help keep the conversation moving.

Film Schedule

**These Films did not have an accompanied Pixar Short associated with their release; I've paired the remaining with Oscar nominated short films/tv specials.
+Coco: Initially paired with Olaf's Frozen Adventure before it was cut a week after it's premier; I've paired it with the Toy Story of Terror .
+Toy Story 4: did not have a short premier during it's initial release; I've paired it with Toy Story That Time Forgot.
+Onward: Premiered with a non Pixar Short: The Simpsons-Playmate with Destiny; I've paired it with Oscar Nominated short "Kitbull".
+Soul: Not released in theaters; I've paired it with Oscar shortlist short "Out".
+Luca: Not released in theaters; I've paired it with Oscar nominated short "Burrow"

Finding Dory

Hank –
Talk about a cranky cephalopod! Hank’s introduction to Dory in the quarantine building seems to be a gesture of good will…that is until he admits that he wants her moving tag. For the most part of the movie this character has one single minded intention – to help Dory as long as in the end he gets that tag. For him it means a life of ease as a permanent resident of the Cleveland, Ohio Aquarium. He wants nothing to do with the catch, and release program at the Monterey Marine Life Institute.

On the up and up Hank is a really cool character, bordering on being a superhero really. He’s a master of disguises, can get in and out of just about everything, and does so with ease. He seems to be no stranger to every facet of the Institute’s facility. He even has a sort of kryptonite – just like a superhero. In his case, it’s children. Getting grabbed, poked, and pulled mortifies this octopus. Can’t blame him – he does allude to losing an arm in the touch pool.

In the end though this cranky-butt really has a heart – or rather three hearts – of gold.

Shells –
Shells are huge in this movie. Let’s start with the ocean is full of shells, and so was the aquarium where Dory was born. Her parents were able to fixate her enough on shells so as to use them like a roadmap. They weren’t anything fancy either. They were just generic bivalve shells – the kind collectors have a tendency to overlook, so they would be the bulk of shells lying about. This worked out great for a series of reference points. Dory remembered her mom liked shells. And she knew to follow them home. Both of those memories about shells triggered more memories, and then it was just a cascade effect as she remembered more and more things. It always came back to the shells.

Scattered about like they were I almost thought they would get messed up, like bread crumbs get eaten. But, no…they were as solid a beacon leading the way as the Yellow Brick Road was to Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz.

“Somewhere out there is my family.” – Dory

She said these words to Marlin when his scaredy-cat fish tail was over-reacting and telling her all the reasons why she shouldn’t/can’t go across the ocean looking for her parents. He is so insecure and his goal is to make everyone around him just as insecure. But that heartfelt spoken, single line from Dory changes everything. How can you deny someone the chance to find their family? Even the neurotic Marlin couldn’t argue with that logic.

This was a moment when Dory really prevailed. She was working on saving herself and Hank from the touch/poke ponds. Hank was nearly immobile with fear. Dory is always fearless. Nemo at one point says to Marlin – “What would Dory do?” This is a prime example of exactly what she would do. She knew a friend was in trouble and she gave no thought to herself, only to making it right for him.

Hank is such an easy character to like. And he’s Dory’s main help in the movie. Carting her around the aquarium in various containers was great, but my favorite was the coffeepot. This particular pin kind of gives me the vibe of Auguste Rodin’s statue The Thinker. Hank looks like he is just contemplating Dory in the pot.

Pin # 115189

Not a standard review but some stray thoughts...
*I'm not going to lie, it was okay but closely followed the narrative framework of it's predecessor.
*The past few movies have been missing an extreme Disney/Pixar moment; the one that hits home for me happens early on in the film: young lost Dory's melancholic singing "Just Keep Swimming"...
*Given that development happened at the same time as "The Good Dinosaur/Inside Out" it's not wrong to think that there may have been some shared ideas. Each give into the premise of how to find home after getting lost(Follow the river/follow the shells). Riley's Family also seem to make a cameo in the car that is stopped by the cuddling otters..l
*The sensory pool, is a nod to another Toy Story 3 day care setting, just more instense in a horror like setting as they are actually living creatures...
*The show Bluey(set in Australia), also features a hide and seek episode that mimics Dory's short attention span...
*Destiny jumping the wall mimics the film "Free Willy's" iconic shot. Originally there was talk of film taking place in a Sea World type setting; it was scrubbed and was replaced with the marine institute after an Orca Whale incident sparked social media boycott/change...
*Nemo seems to be getting very good practice in sarcasm with his own dad.
*I don't mean to call to disbelief but how many different containers of water just all happen to have sea water/fresh water or even clean/potable water considering one was a used mop bucket...
*I have to agree, The Pixar short Piper is very cute and adorable but more lifelike then many of the Pixar shorts that scene that preceded it. While Finding Dory/The Good Dinosaur each got shut out of the academy that following year, this won the short animation oscar...

Last edited:
I've had a bit on my plate at work so to keep up with the schedule, we'll just overlap the turn-in time through the Friday's discussion period. Does this film seem to redeem the reviews of the previous sequel, let us see...

Now Playing: Cars 3(2017); Lou(2017) ~ 2/4(Friday)

qIauGwU.png
tackbJ0.png

Film Schedule

1. What is your overall impression of the film? Some possible talking points include: what you did or did not like about it; what about the film has stuck with you; what did you find different on this viewing; how would modern audiences respond to this (for the older films)… The list goes on. Hahah!
Hmm, here we are at the the final Cars movie of the trilogy and for the most part, it was a pleasant trip. Definitely no Pixar/Disney moments if a few action scenes and a surprising bit of adult innuendo that slips through the censors. Ultimately, this sequel seems to disregard the events of the 2nd film in turn of a more traditional sequel to the first, really taking the plot’s skeleton and subverting it to a newer audience. It does give more of an homage then the previous movie’s nod to Doc Hudson's passing, exploring the backstory of training in Mcqueen with the latter realizing his newfound achievement as a mentor to the new generation of racers. Ultimately, it seems they took some critique from the 2nd film and made Mater more of a side character again, instead focusing on Mcqueen's trainer and protege, Cruz Ramirez. Randy Newman returns to produce the final score, and it seems to push the boundaries to what the quintessential Pixar film should sound like akin to Toy Story with covers of famous country/rock songs spread throughout for a bit of locale flavor. 7/10

2. Choose one specific character to analyze. You can explore how a character acts, what they say, how they dress, etc. to explain what they may represent or their function and meaning in the narrative. Try to avoid obvious "plot" stuff (ex: the Evil Queen is a villain, so her purpose is to be bad...), but explore unique and specific elements about the character (ex: the EQ is surrounded by images of peacocks, further suggesting her obsession with vanity). You may also use these elements to explain why you connected or disconnected from the character.
Sterling seem to present himself as a brilliant and successful businessman though it seems that not all as it appears. He seems to purchase companies for the image and brand that they hold, not really giving notice to what product they actually produced in the first place. For instance, the main product of Rust-eze for him is actually the star sponsoree and it shows in the training facility with Mcqueen's image shown throughout the building. In reality, he is similar to a hedge fund buying a company only to shut it down via a take-over once it has achieved it's usefulness. While friendly to those who he shows favor to, it seems his employees/assets are not necessarily those he cares much to show much respect to...

6. Choose a single line of dialog that you find to be the most significant/impactful line in the film and why. You can be a little loose with the “single line” bit, but let’s not go for Maleficent’s entire monologue to Philip... Rather, something like Stitch’s “This is my family. I found it all on my own. It’s little, and broken, but still good. Yeah – still good.” (brb weeping).
"Ya know, you gave us a-lotta great memories, Lightnin'. Memories we'll remember."
This quote from the Rust-eze Brothers comes bittersweet seeing that the voice actor for Rusty, Tom Magliozzi, passed away prior to the film's production. His and Doc Hudson's voices use archival recordings for this film. There was an NPR interview with Ray Magliozzi discussing his brother's passing and how he would listen to the recordings of Car Talk(the npr show he co-produced with Tom) just to listen to his brother as if he were there next to him...

9. What is the iconic shot of the film? What single frame of animation do you find to be the most memorable and why? Post it! You can check out this link to find some great screencaps to help!
You don't belong. Yes I DO!!!(mimicing Doc vs his opponent; work smarter not harder)
D0DNvdp.jpg

10. What single pin do you think best represents this film for you? Why? Give us the pin number and post a picture!
Pin# 126979-DLP - Cars 3 - Lightning McQueen and Cruz Ramirez OE
I love this pin of Cruz in her new Dinoco stickers with her mentor Mcqueen in his Rust-eze getup.
JqjDM0l.png

Last edited:
Cars 3

Smokey –
This particular character came late to the storyline, but he is no less important. Smokey is a 1947 Hudson pickup truck. No surprise given he was the venerated trainer and crew chief of good old Doc Hudson; a 1951 Hudson Hornet.

Our first meeting with Smokey is, of course, on a racetrack. But Smokey isn’t in the racing world anymore. After Doc’s horrible crash his passion for racing waned and he started a garage (not unlike Doc). He’s not flashy, nor pushy; but he is very stable and has all 4 tires firmly on the ground…so-to-speak.

Smokey’s unorthodox, old-way, git-er-done-with-what-you-got style of training is just what Lightning needs. He runs that racecar ragged just like they were out running moonshine (which has deep roots in the real-world NASCAR racing industry). The old dirt race track, cow fields, and forest all become his training ground. These are things that Lightning can’t predict and Smokey knows it. Smokey’s instruction is not to make Lightning faster, but to make him smarter.

The old pick up proves to be part coach, part psychologist, and all friend. When he shows Lightning all the letters, and newspaper clippings in his own garage, he explains to the younger car that Doc had told him that training him (Lightning) had been the best part of his life.

Smokey’s garage when he shows Lightning –
Just this flash of scene alone is enough to once again rearrange the way Lightning McQueen views the world and things he thought he knew. Lightning assumed that Doc missed being in the driver’s seat, on the track, and therefor wrongly assumed that he wasn’t truly happy. Smokey’s revelation dumps that entire mindset in the trash. The viewer had also been of the same belief as Lightning in regards to Doc. So the viewer also finds themself having to rethink the motivation of old Doc Hudson.

We find that Doc had come to terms with his position as Lightning’s trainer and crew chief. So much so that he reconnected with his own crew chief, after being incognito for 50 years. And why? Because Doc had once again found something he loved – being a mentor, trainer, and friend to an aspiring racing champion. In fact, Smokey’s response to Lighting is “Racing wasn’t the best part of Hud’s life. You were.”

The Racing Simulator –
This super racing machine is supposed to help race cars practice and find their niche. It’s supposed to send technical data for the trainers to analyze and help the cars improve their performance. That beast is nothing more than a technological terror to Lightning McQueen and other senior racers. We only see him on it once…and that is enough. It quickly goes from being a training tool to being a nemesis. Anyone who has ever trained for anything knows that there is book-learning, and class-room hands on learning; neither of which are really any good in real world applications. Machines that are always going to do the same thing over, and over, and over again do not allow for the unexpected. It may be a racing aid for days when you can’t get to the track, but it cannot replace the experience of the real track.

“Ask me if I dreamed of being a trainer, Mr. McQueen, go ahead! Ask me if I got up in the dark to run laps before school every day! Ask me if I saved every penny to buy a ticket to the races when they came to town. Ask me if I did that so I could be a trainer someday, ask me!

No! I’ve wanted to become a racer forever! Because of you!”

- Cruz Ramirez

This definitely gives Lightning something to think about. He had made assumptions about Cruz – and they proved to be wrong. This heartfelt diatribe from her admitting that he was basically her hero really hits him hard. He is shocked. It’s obvious that once again he wasn’t thinking of others, but only himself. In the end, however, Lightning proves that he did learn something from Cruz’s admission. He has her take his place halfway through the race. He gives her the chance she never really took. And he crew chiefs her through the race to victory.

Lightning’s wreck –
Memories of Doc Hudson’s career ending crash just resonates through this scene. Spectacular in scope, yet a terrifying event for the racer. Lightning was trying so hard to beat the rookies that were just walking all over him. You can’t help but admire the drive, the will to win, and the determination…but fate had other ideas.

Pin #126979

Sometimes it’s all about beginnings. This pin shows both Lightning and Cruz in their rookie paint jobs. Everyone has to start somewhere.

As we saw in Cars 3, Cruz's Trainee- Gabriel- is very homesick for his hometown of Santa Cecilia; let's go on to see just what is so special about this little town. I thought it would be more fitting to pair this film with Toy Story of Terror vs the original theatrical premiere's pairing with Olaf's Frozen Adventure; they cut it shortly after so at least I was spared that indignation when I saw Coco in theatres. Continuing the trend as last week, we'll extend analysis submissions till Friday...

Now Playing: Coco(2017); Toy Story of Terror(2013) ~ 2/3-2/11(Friday)

Trnjfg1.png
2ovAoWy.png

Film Schedule

Coco

Mamá Coco –
Everyone does or did have a great-grandmother like Coco. She is the title character and yet Coco is a silent focus in the movie. If it wasn’t for the title, one would almost think that she was a secondary character. But if you pay close attention, you will find that everything revolves around her.

For the living, she is a confidant for Miguel and someone to fiercely protect for Abuelita. To the dead, in particular Mamá Imelda, she is the memory of what their lives had been. But most importantly she is the singular motivation for Hector in his life-long (dead-long?) quest to cross the flower bridge. He simply wants to see the young daughter he left behind, and was trying to get back to, when he died.

Coco presents to the viewer as an elderly, wheelchair bound, grandmotherly woman, with maybe a touch of Alzheimer’s. She’s a little forgetful, doesn’t speak much, and is a simple archetype of the extreme elderly. She’s adorable. To those viewers who have someone like her in their lives, she’s an E-Ticket to an emotional rollercoaster.

It is the end of the movie when you realize just how precious the time with a family member like her really comes into focus. Miguel “wakes” her memories with the song Hector used to sing to her – Remember Me. With that flash of insight she tells him about her Papá, and shows him a folder of where she kept all his letters. It’s an amazing revelation. This was something that the rest of the family knew nothing about. It goes a long way to vindicating Miguel’s love for music, as well as setting straight the record on Hector Rivera, and Ernesto de la Cruz. Most importantly, it brings the family together.

4. Choose one song to analyze.

Remember Me –
It is interesting to see the differences in intentions between Ernesto de la Cruz’s version, and Hector Rivera’s. The world knew the song as a love song for star-crossed lovers. Ernesto de la Cruz had pushed it that way – erringly – when he stole the lyrics from Hector. De la Cruz’s hijacking of the song completely changed the meaning of the piece. Up until that point, the song had only been sung between Hector and Coco. Hector wrote it and taught it to Coco in hopes that it would help her deal with the separation they were facing as he tried to make a name on the road, away from home.

“I didn’t write Remember Me for the world. I wrote it for Coco.” – Hector Rivera

And there you have it (see answer #4). Not every song ever written was meant for the outside world. True love songs – whether lover to lover, or parent to child, are private duets, just for the parties involved. These come from the heart and no amount of fortune nor fame can truly be attached to them.

When Hector tells Miguel that the song was never meant for the world, it makes him stop and think about how different the truth is from what he thought he knew. It also makes him realize how hard things have been for Hector, and the heartache he has been dealing with.

The beginning of the movie showed that Miguel and Mamá Coco had a good relationship. He talks to her, doesn’t get upset when she calls him by someone else’s name, and tries to do little things for her. He is seen sharing part of his orange with her. It is no surprise that he is the one to really reach into her memories. The relationship between great-grandparent and great-grandchild cannot be denied.

But it is the end scene of Miguel with Coco that is so adorable, and yet so heartwrenching. This is the moment when Miguel is able to help Mamá Coco. He wants to make sure she remembers Hector and desperately disobeys his family to do the one thing they had forbidden – sing, and play the guitar. Fate gives him just enough time, and a little help from his father who stops Abuelita from interfering with the moment. Mamá Coco is roused from her silence with the song. She remembers her Papá and the song he taught her. (Excuse me while I go sit in the corner, think of my nearly 100-year-old grandmother, and bawl.) It’s such a great scene, and just shreds your emotions.

Pin #131111
Miguel and a guitar…that was such a bone of contention for his family for many generations – both living and dead. Music was blamed for tearing his great-grandmother’s family apart when she was no more than a small child. But yet the boy just loved music so. In the end Miguel was vindicated and prevailed in bringing music back to his family.

A slight delay in getting out this week’s movie, been busy with work and haven’t had my laptop(inventory is soon) and haven’t had my laptop with me at work. I hope to get it out soon…

The Incredibles II

Winston Deavor –
He’s such a likable guy. He’s passionate about the Supers, and getting them reintegrated into normal society. What you don’t realize at first is that his enthusiasm isn’t just some billionaire tycoon act looking for money or fame; he already has that. This guy is genuine in his feelings about the Supers.

First impressions do bring him off as a slick and well-dressed businessman. Based just on his looks, you know he can turn anything, or situation into a money-making scheme. Even his sister, Evelyn, indicates that there isn’t anything that he can’t sell. Winston isn’t actually interested in the financial windfalls associated with the Supers. He truly wants to see them treated fairly the world over. The plans and motivations he espouses all go back to that.

Winston’s only true flaw is his inability to see the darkness in Evelyn. They were both scarred by the loss of their parents to common thieves. The inability of Supers to come rescue them, at that moment, set them apart with how each responded. Evelyn felt that relying on someone else to come to your rescue was her father’s downfall. Winston disagreed and believes that had the Supers still be able to perform their duties legally, his parents would not have died.

Jack-Jack’s discovery of his powers when he fights with the raccoon.

This entire sequence was comic relief…no ifs, ands, or buts. And it was great! From the moment Jack-Jack started “arguing” with the trash panda through the sliding glass door, until the critter ran away yelling nonsense expletives; this sequence was just pure fun! If there is a power out there, this baby has got it. He can go through solid objects, go interdimensional, become a burning demon baby, multiply like a fluffle (yes, real word) of rabbits, he has laser-eyes, electric shock, levitation, and shape-shifting. Edna Mode later refers to Jack-Jack as a polymorph. Whatever he is, it’s crazy!

Screenslavers Goggles –
These are simple, yet effective literally and figuratively. With how addicted to technology that people are, this is a simple way to control them. Slap them on like VR goggles, and they gotcha. Reality is that most people are already slaves to the “screen” whether it be TV, smartphone, or computer. It’s a little Borgish, if you ask me. Resistance if futile, right? Add the hypnosis effect and the tech becomes downright dangerous…genius, but dangerous.

Not surprising that Evelyn created these for the purpose of control. For her they absolutely represent the control she lacked when her parents were murdered. They are also her instrument of revenge against those who did not (figuratively) save her parents. Nothing good can come of these goggles when the wrong reasons are applied for using them.

Raising kids and managing the home are easy tasks, right? WRONG! This shot is the quintessential ragged out, exhausted, dad who is in way over his head. Bob is trying to manage the kids when Helen goes back to work…Stereotype? Yes. But it works. Raising kids is no mean feat, and not even the best superhero powers can help with that. Especially when your youngest can turn into a flaming demon baby! For the record – cookies are always the best baby bribe!

I’ll say this up front – I was really hoping for an Elastigirl on her Elasticycle pin…but there isn’t one in existence…So instead I chose this one. (I mean it is near Valentine’s Day after all!) What I do like about this one is that it represents teamwork. Helen has been trying to tell Bob all along (through both movies) that whether being parents or superheroes, it’s a team effort.

Pin #142330 – DS – Valentine’s Day 2021 Mystery – The Incredibles

I thought I had updated it didn't post... And here we are with the sequel to one of Pixars finest thus far, I'm curious to see if it is as formulaic(is that even a word?) as the previous sequels. We also have an Oscar winning short that is made by the director of the latest Pixar Film: Turning Red...
Now Playing: The Incredibles 2(2018); Bao(2018) ~ 2/17 - 2/23

kA2UJyk.png
B8V55xM.png

Film Schedule

2/17-2/23: Incredibles 2(2018); Bao(2018)
2/24-3/2: Toy Story 4(2019); Toy Story That Time Forgot(TV Special-2014)**
3/3-3/9: Onward(2020);Kitbull**(2019)
3/10-3/16: Soul(2020); Out**(2020)
3/16-3/23: Luca(2021); Burrow**(2020)
3/24-4/1: Turning Red(2022);**

Toy Story 4

Gabby Gabby –
Without a doubt she is the anti-hero of the film. But is she really truly bad/evil? No. And it’s not even a redemption issue. Gabby gives us her own backstory on her motivations. She tells us exactly why she has become the character she is.

We learn that her voice electronics were defective right out of the box, thus destroying her chances for a happy life with a child from the word go. If that’s not depressing for a toy, then what is? Spending many lonely years on the antique store shelf has fueled her imagination of what it would be like to be needed, loved, and played with. This has caused her to (wrongly) fixate on the store owner’s granddaughter Harmony. Like most fantasies, it turns out to be disastrous for Gabby.

In a self-sacrificing move, Woody gives up his voicebox to Gabby. Her creepy ventriloquist-style henchmen – Benson – makes the transition between the two. For the first time ever, Gabby has a voice that she believes will make a child want her. But even after the switch, Harmony still rejects Gabby, literally tossing her into a box on the floor of the shop…throwing her away literally and figuratively, as if she was still broken. Naturally, depression, despair, and a certain amount of self-loathing settle in on Gabby’s psyche. That final rejection causes her to give up; so much so that she offers to give Woody’s voicebox back. It takes both Woody, and Bo Peep to encourage Gabby to look for another child.

The intent is to hook her up with Bonnie, but while enroute, fate intervenes. The toys run across a crying, lost child. This event really speaks to Gabby who cannot help but pause. She has been there. She knows the fear, and pain of being lost, and her heart goes out to the child. With further encouragement from Woody and Bo, and a little help from Bunny and Ducky, the lost child’s attention is diverted to Gabby.

And the rest, as they say, is history. Gabby finally has a kid and a forever home. “Being there for a child is the most noble thing a toy can do,” Woody once told her, and she intends to be there for her new friend.

Woody’s Voicebox –
This singular item is the focus. Advertised, working parts can make or break a toy. In this case a speaker, voicebox, and pull string. Both Woody and Gabby have them – but, of course, Gabby’s is defective. The goal is to make Woody part ways with his so that Gabby can be fixed. The voicebox is believed to be a stepping-stone to Gabby getting a child: but not just any child – to her getting Harmony. The voicebox alone doesn’t prove to be enough for that to happen, but it does allow Gabby to be ready for another child who does need her.

“He’s not lost. Not any more. To infinity and beyond.” – Buzz Lightyear

This goes for all of us – a good philosophy for life when it turns out different than what you imagined.

This is definitely a testimony to Woody. He has been such a staunch guardian of the toys under his care. He made sure they were safe, were with their kid, and that they were never forgotten or lost. But he personally was having a bit of an identity crises. He was not in charge at Bonnie’s, like he had been at Andy’s and it was really weighing on him. Without that depth of duty, he was emotionally lost. And he did not know how to handle it.

The road trip, reuniting with Bo Peep, and sacrificing himself for other toys (Forky & Gabby), helped him grow to understand that there can be more. He realized that belonging to a child forever wasn’t actually necessary, but he was not yet willing to admit it. His perceived responsibilities to the other toys kept him from seriously entertaining that thought.

Bo Peep showed him that being a “lost toy” had some perks, some freedoms he didn’t initially understand. He did envy her for that at some point, but then his sense of duty prevailed. In the end, Buzz and the other original “Andy’s toys group” let him go. They helped him realize that change can be good, and that he needed to follow his heart. Woody just needed to know that it was okay; and the other toys needed to be reassured the same, as well.

“Is Woody a lost toy?”

This comes from Rex as they drive away, leaving Woody behind for good. Buzz’s response is reassuring, even in its finality.

Gabby wanted so much to be loved by a child. A lost toy + a lost child = unbreakable bond. At this moment in time, she knows that she has finally found that bond. For the first time since she was created, Gabby knows what it is like to be loved.

Pin #136138

This is the guy that got them into this mess! If it weren’t for Forky running off, Woody would have never reunited with Bo Peep.

Sorry everyone, I got caught up with a few stressful life occurances that I can't get into at the moment but we're almost there. Staying at our current schedule, we're looking at completing the challenge at the end of the month with Turning Red(releasing March 11; Yay!!!); I was hoping to bundle it with an Oscar Nominated short but it looks like this is the first year in quite sometime that none of the big studio players are nominated in the Short Animation category. It looks like Jim already wrote the analysis for TS4 but I'll go ahead and bundle it with Onward for next week if anyone else would like to write an analysis for it.

Now Playing:

Toy Story 4(2019); Toy Story That Time Forgot(TV Special-2014)** ~ 2/24 - 3/9
Onward(2020); Kitbull**(2019) ~ 3/3 - 3/9

saBs5qz.png
irVUbQc.png
kkAypqJ.png
IeJ3Ovh.png

Film Schedule

2/24-3/9 Toy Story 4(2019); Toy Story That Time Forgot(TV Special-2014)**

3/17-3/25: Luca(2021); Burrow**(2020)
3/26-4/1-: Turning Red(2022);**

Last month saw PBS' Arthur series concluded after 25 years, making it the longest continuous children's animated show. One of the interesting easter-eggs featured was the inclusion of the Cal-Arts 'A-113' in the finale, a staple for Disney/Pixar projects. This isn't the first Disney-related cameo the show has made; back when Disney took over the production for Doug from Nickelodeon, they happened to bring along some of the writers from Arthur TV series, which ended in a cameo as them drawn in the Doug Universe; I guess it's only fitting that Arthur eventually followed in Doug Funnie's footsteps as a Comic artist...
HOL1Jbo.jpg
zdJvPiU.jpg

Onward

Barley –
Barley’s initial introduction puts him as the obnoxious older brother. He is over-the-top as he is biker-looking, trouble-making, over-bearing, but has a real heart of gold. It doesn’t take very long to discover that he actually really loves his family, and would go to great lengths for his little brother.

Personality is something Barley has in spades. He looks tough (for an Elf), but in reality, is such a historical fantasy geek. We learn that Barley sees the potential for an epic adventure in everything. He imagines magic, swords, adventure: they all rule his every thought. His van has a Pegasus (reminiscent of the 1980’s Sue Dawe style) painted on the side, and he calls the vehicle Guinevere. He personifies every 80’s kid who got into Dungeon’s & Dragons.

He lives for the history of the town. This includes the Dungeons & Dragons style game based on the local “history,” called Quests of Yore. He really gets into the fantasy of it. But he also has a realist side. Barley has been trying to save an old fountain in town that is slated to be torn down. It’s a noble pursuit, but many others don’t see it that way. This gets him in trouble with the local police – including his mother’s boyfriend Colt, who is an officer.

We learn that Barley is kind of trying to be the man – er…Elf of the house. He had been a child when his father – Wilden – got sick and died. He can recall exactly four memories of his dad, and he tells three of them to his younger brother, Ian. Ian was not yet born when their dad died. It takes a pivotal moment with Ian to realize that for his entire life it was Barley who was there in place of their dad.

Barley has the heart of a warrior, the politico of an activist, the emotion of a poet, but it’s the love for his family that really shines through.

The Phoenix Gem –
Yes, it is as obviously corny as it sounds; as is every top-level treasure in any given Dungeons & Dragons campaign. It is meant to compliment whatever the sacred object is at the beginning: in this case the staff. So, one wizard’s staff + one insanely mystical gemstone = the crucial treasure to the ultimate quest.

Barring the already known myths about the Phoenix, its death, and it rising from the ashes, we know that the significance of this gem is nearly the same: only bringing back the dead from beyond, not from the remains of a fire. Symbolically it is the same.

“I never had a dad, but I always had you.” – Ian Lightfoot

Okay, I’m bawling from the start…be right back…**sniffle

Now, this line is everything about this movie. Ian was born after his father passed away. Barley was a young boy, but old enough to have a few memories of him. The wizard’s staff and Phoenix gem offers a chance at something neither would have ever dreamed of – one to see his father again, the other to meet him for the first time. Who wouldn’t take up that quest?!

The main focus of the movie is to get that chance for Ian to meet him. Ian wanted so much to know his father. Now, with a little rediscovered magic, it actually seemed possible.

Of course, Ian had all the expectations, but none of the reality of what having a dad around was like – so he really did not know what a dad would do. Barley had just enough of that to be able to be as near to that role model as possible. Barley encouraged Ian. He wanted to do things with him and for him. He definitely teased him, (but not in hurtful ways). Much to Ian’s chagrin, he thoroughly, and utterly embarrassed him (like any good parent does to their teenager) in front of his peers. But best of all, without a doubt, Barley loved Ian with his whole heart. (Crying again darn it.) Ian had such a case of tunnel-vision that he never realized that Barley had stepped right into that role in all the best ways.

Once Ian figures all of this out, he knows what he needs to do. All the years of relating their father’s memory to Ian, Barley had never mentioned the final one. It was after their dad got sick and was in the hospital. Barley was a small child and just couldn’t face him like that. And he lost his chance to say good-bye. Ian sacrifices the one chance he has to meet his father, so that Barley can have closure. It was the right thing to do.

Ian’s Checklist –
This is the pivotal moment when Ian realizes he’s not going to do these things with a father who was gone before he was born…but they are all things his brother helped him do. His own walk down memory lane for each item shows that Barley was there when their dad could not be.

My wife is an avid Dungeons & Dragons player, she just loves ALL the pins in this set! Every one of them exemplifies every nuance about the game – from the reference book (Quests of Yore), to the gathering place (Manticore’s Tavern – where you know ALL great quests begin,) to the sacred item necessary to making the achievement (wizard’s staff), to the chosen mode of travel (Guinevere)! But I can only pick one so I’m going with the chosen mode of travel, the “noble steed,” Guinevere. She is such a temperamental and beat up old van. But she has style with that sah-weeeeeeeeet paint job! And Barley is very proud of her. She would totally drive that van dressed as a D&D character!!!

Pin#32194 (Guinevere)

So here we are almost there to the end, been busy here getting ready for a move(actually signing today for the new house). I've missed uploading last week so I've bundled the next two together like last time. Confessions that I've already seen Turning Red over the weekend with my kids, quite enjoyable, but it'll make rewatching/reviewing easier...

Now Playing:
Soul(2020); Out**(2020) ~ 3/10-3/25
Luca(2021); Burrow**(2020) ~ 3/10-3/25

eYO08iQ.png
ljJgY7d.png
UCUxDBQ.png
UJirZXK.png

Film Schedule

2/24-3/9 Toy Story 4(2019); Toy Story That Time Forgot(TV Special-2014)**

3/17-3/25: Luca(2021); Burrow**(2020)

3/26-4/1-: Turning Red(2022);**

Soul

Terry –
“the OCD Ethereal Accountant.” All of Terry’s character is literally in his behavior. As an ethereal soul himself, he has minimal body, no clothes, no real color to any physical status. This means that everything you need to learn about him is all in what kind of a being he is portrayed as.

He’s a numbers guy, counting out souls headed to the light of the Great Beyond. Terry is old school too…using an old-world abacus to do his counting on. This is how he figures out that someone has jumped out of sequence and is missing. We learn that he takes his job very seriously about the missing soul, and he takes his concerns to one of the many “Jerrys” that are in charge of preparing new souls for Earth. Honestly, he’s not just serious, he’s royally obsessed.

Terry lives by the numbers and makes sure others die by the numbers. He is very cut and dry, seeing everything in black and white.

22 realizing she likes Earth –
In this scene 22 has been in Joe’s body for a little bit. She has experienced the things that Joe was all about, such as friends, family, music, and literally just being a being amongst beings. Joe and 22 are supposed to be meeting with Moonwind so that he can get Joe back in his body and get 22 on her way somewhere else.

22 rebels against it. She has suddenly realized that all those years, of not going to Earth, were experiences wasted. She wants a life. She wants to live. She’s terrified to go back, and runs off with Joe’s body.

You really feel sorry for 22. Here it is she has been stuck in the Great Before for a very long time. If the first soul on Earth was number 1 and she is only 22, out of 108,210,121,415 estimated souls to have ever been born (according to “Jerry”) then she’s definitely been there a loooooong while. Then there is the long, and in some cases distinguished, list of mentors – all of which failed their jobs. Each one who preceded Joe told her she was difficult or not good enough. Just like with any child, if you tell them something enough, they will tend to believe it, whether it’s true or not.

“This is water. What I want is the ocean.” – Dorthea Williams

Dorthea says this to Joe. He has been allowed to reinhabit his own body and gotten to fulfill his dream – to play jazz with a band. Here he actually played with a great player named Dorthea Williams.

But now what?

Joe literally has no idea where his life is to go now. He achieved his dream, and now lacks any sense of direction. Upon saying something to Dorthea, she tells him a story. It’s about a fish who wanted so much that it didn’t realize what it had. It lived in the ocean and kept swimming – searching for the ocean. It couldn’t see the ocean for the water…or in more human adages – couldn’t see the forest for the trees.

If this sequence didn’t make you cry then you may be heartless. 22 has finally gotten her Earth badge. She’s ready to go and learn how to live…but at what cost. Joe was the first to actually connect with the recalcitrant soul. Her low number indicates she’s been in waiting since…well…like…forever! Previous mentors just didn’t stack up. But Joe did. Even when she had given up and turned into a despairing whirlwind of black dust and sand, he braved the danger and rescued her from her own doubts.

Knowing that Joe isn’t returning to Earth, 22 hesitates to leap into the abyss. Joe won’t let her pass up the opportunity and offers to jump with her. They both know he won’t be able to go all the way, but he tells her “I’ll go as far as I can.”

This particular shot is when they have to separate, because Joe is being pulled back. He gives her a smile, letting her know she is so ready to live a life on her own.

Pin #38701

Mittens the cat just doesn’t get enough credit. She had to share herself with a human soul that knew nothing about being a cat! Seeing Joe trying to be a cat, and trying to tell 22 how to work in his human body was pure hysterical genius.

This pin is the zen of cats.

Back