• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

rude or not rude that is the question?

see post below

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
rude or not rude that is the question?
It was just a metaphor. So imagine it'd be for any pin in your collection for a deal that seems very good from a reputable trader. You'd decline? You'd be winning btw, you're getting the LE 25!

It's lose-lose because either way I'd regret the decision (especially if it was a pin like the Rapunzel one). If it was an easily available pin I'd be trading, then no one would trade any of my HGs for it, so realistically, no I wouldn't trade. More to the point, I don't want to be put in the situation where I have to make a choice.

everytime someone has looked at my collection for pins they have always asked me upfront first if I would trade from my collection. I was not offended, and I didn't find it rude. In one occasion I said it would depend on what they wanted...but I could always just say "no, I don't want that pin bad enough to trade from my collection." They asked upfront, and I saw no problem with that.

Pin collecting/trading is a hobby for all of us....otherwise, we wouldn't even be here! But just because it is a hobby and for fun doesn't mean that pins don't have an associated monetary value. Pins cost money. Period. Some cost more than others. Add sentimentality to the mix, and no, not every pin on someone's trades list is going to be a trade option for any pin on their wants list.

+ Over 9,000 to this!!!

Not everyone who considers the monetary value is trying to SHARK you- we're just watching our budgets! Some of us are already on our spouses crap list...lol! Also, secondary value is sometimes the best way to trade when different edition sizes/years/popularity come into play.

I find the people who scoff at using value to trade usually fall into 3 categories:

1.) Newbies who just don't know better/haven't had to pay a lot for their pins yet. They'll learn the laws of supply and demand soon enough :)

2.) Traders who have pins that value at about the same- lots of park pins and such that never increased in value, so they're all $5-10, and they can trade whatever for whatever. Therefore, they don't NEED to worry about secondary value.

3.) Sharks who just want your valuable pin for whatever they're carrying around.

I'm lucky that most of the people I trade with trade like me (using value), although have traded with these types of folks in the past. I'm all for fair trading, but it has to be fair to ME, too.

Re: the original post...I didn't vote because there isn't a happy medium, but like many others have said, it would all depend on how it was presented. I'm not sure I would deem it "rude", but I did feel...weird...the one time it happened to me. Even though it makes NO sense to say this, it feels a little like someone going through my underwear drawer...LOL! :p

I've been following this discussion and have a question. Why does Pinpics have a new search feature that allows you compare your wants with someone's collection (they call it "owns") if doing this is such a "rude" or "crass" thing to do. JUST ASKING.

Well, it is useful to have a tool where you can compare your owns to someone's wants so then you can decide if you want to make an offer from your collection or not. But I do use it to compare some other's owns list, like my Dad's. I can see people using it to see if a trading friend owns a pin you think they might like. Like for trying to zap someone when you don't own something on their wants. Also, some people make sale lists using a Pinpics name and list pins under owns. Being able to compare it to your trades easily is very helpful.

On one hand, I really don't think this is rude. I like at least having an option presented if nothing I suggested would work: in theory, that's more useful than not having an option at all. Unfortunately though, I just sent out offers to a few dozen people last night, and so far the most popular answer has been "I couldn't do that, but [here's a really bad offer for your TRON Stitch now that it's fifty bucks on eBay]." I'm ready to take that thing off my Trades list since it literally seems to be interfering with a significant percentage of my TA requests.

I voted not rude, but only because I do have keepers that I would trade should someone want them badly enough. I'm not so selfish with my pins that I wouldn't pass them on. Some of my keepers are only keepers because they're LE and I want to save them from being traded for a little while. I wouldn't mind being asked, if it was something I could not give away then I would politely decline.

After the discussion in the chat roo, then Im still saying keepers are keepers people should not troll through my collection hoping I will trade, by all means look through to see what I have but Id find it cheeky if someone ever said if Id trade any of my UP or paddy pins away just because they offered me my holy grail as Id still say no as would mean I'd be going out my way to get the pin/s I traded away again...and that doesnt make sense if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back