• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Serious question from a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question from a newbie

Mommy_Nikki

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently won several lots from Ebay. NOW I learned is a bad thing to do. I know people who have great luck though so I thought I'd try it. I knew to expect some bad pins. But honestly I think the whole lot is bad.

I got the pins yesterday. Some of them, the colors were odd. Which stood out to me. So after researching, I started learning tricks to find out if the pin is authenic or not. So some of the pins, I'm 100% sure are scrappers. Some are not.

My question to you...if you saw majority of your pins listed on a scrapper's list, not just the ones you knew were, would you automatically assume the whole bunch was scrappers?

Several of the pins are on the pinpics website as scrappers. Some are not pictured but I see others from the set on that website. Some I'm assuming the whole lot I have are scrappers. I wish I could show pictures. But there are 100 pins.

I've complained to the ebay seller. I'm sending them back for a full refund.

I think you are right to assume that the whole lot are counterfeit pins.

If you need some trader pins, post in the sale thread here at DPF. I'm sure a few people will respond and be happy to sell to you at a fair price.

Welcome to the DPF!

I think some sellers of scrappers include a handful of pins that aren't scrappers to maintain plausible deniability. "I didn't know!" If the sellers were located near a Disney park, I would assume that even the authentic pins were obtained by someone swapping out scrappers for authentic pins on cast lanyards. Aside from purchasing through here, you can also find pins cheaply at the Disney outlets. When I visited one of the stores in Orlando in May, I was able to purchase 4 styles for 99 cents. And there were some booster packs 4 pins for $6. Even if you can't find good deals like that, you can find pins for $3 regularly. So if you can get to one while visiting, it might be worth a trip.

The rule is to never buy lots from ebay, because they are ALWAYS scrappers or fakes. It's the only way they can make a profit, pins can't be sold for that cheap unless there is something wrong. When I was new I also bought lots from ebay but then I found out of about the fakes and scrappers. I ended up giving all of the scrappers to my nephews who loved them because they didn't know the difference but they still liked them. So my advice to everyone who buys from ebay is not to do it anymore. Everyone here on the forum will advise the same. This is why the 90 percent of the pins on the cast members at the parks are full of scrappers and fakes. Most of us here don't trade with the CM because of this reason. The fakes and scrappers really have ruined pin trading for all of us. If its on ebay and looks too good to be true... it probably is. If you have any questions at any time I will be more than happy to help you. I don't mean to sound so stand off-ish or scary, I just hate scrappers and fakes with a passion, I wasted $160 I will never get back lol.

-Alecia

I made the same mistake with the first pin I ever purchased, but I've learned (thankfully) it wasn't a scrapper. I didn't buy it in a lot and it was more around the normal price for an individual pin you'd find in the parks. I hope you can get your money refunded, some sellers make refunding difficult. Remember that you can leave negative feedback for a seller that deliberately sells scrappers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back