• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Trades via pinpics or in general in terms of valuing pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trades via pinpics or in general in terms of valuing pins

MooRad

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hi DPF community just wanted to say that first off, really enjoy the forums and all that we do for one another. With that being said I know there are some people who enjoy trading pins 1 for 1 and thats all fine with me, however I just dont understand why people come up with offers that do not come near the ball park in terms of pin value when trading. This happens to me more so on pin pics than anything else, but I have been getting numerous offers for pins such as a frozen BT for things such as a kingdom hearts genEaration pin 1-1 trade. I dont necessarily care about the offer and decline, but the fact that many people just dont care to double check market value and pricing alarms me sometimes. I feel that for both sides knowing the value of pins really helps both traders in terms of fairness, Ive had numerous instances where I feel that I am getting to much and will offer more in certain circumstances. I just feel guilty when a trade is far too much in my favor and visa versa. I feel like this is the worst in the actual parks when trading, a lot of the older traders have different values set in their heads from years past etc. Get with the times people!!! lol
But with that being said, I feel that it is smart to not only check ebay but be patient and see what happens when trading, I know not many people are like this but since i recently got back into trading after stopping for a couple years I thought I would just give a little insight to how Ive seen pin trading change over the years.

In all fairness, I can kind of see the point of view of some people offering a 1 for 1 on the Kingdom Hearts pin for a Frozen BT, as they might be including the costs they are having in association with going to a pin event at a park, like entry fees, travel, etc. to the value of what they feel the KH pin is worth. Not saying it is right or wrong, but it is the same mindset some other collectors use on PTNs from DLP.

^^^ I see where youre coming from as well, and not to mention the kingdom hearts pins are quite limited in terms of how many are actually released, but at the same time the frozen BT shot up in price immediately after its release (which I can understand, due to its popularity) but people also had to wait in line...and deal with some...rather unpleasant people lol, but when it comes down to it I feel monetary value is the easiest way to determine a pins worth.
Not trying to say my method of thinking is right or better than others, just wanted to see what other people were thinking :D

I will say that I have offered an LE 400 pin for an LE 100 to someone on PinPics, but in the small section for personal notes I wrote that I knew that the offer was a bit one-sided and that I'd gladly pay the difference if they were interested in the trade. I've learned that many people don't read the personal notes. I just got a rude "Are you kidding? An LE 400? Quit wasting my time." So, rather than pointing out the details of my previous offer I decided that I didn't want to trade with that person. I'm a new trader, so I don't have much to offer, but I try to be fair and do my research.

I know that the pinpics offers that I receive are often just opening offers. Like an open edition for the stained glass sleeping beauty boxed pin DLP that cost 60€ at Disneyland Paris. I (admittedly) don't reply really to my pinpics trade offers as I'm no longer trading that way, but I imagine that they send offers to anyone that has any matches and hope to work from there ?

Value is in the eye of the beholder.

As I recall, both pins are LE300. Even if you don't count the associated costs into acquiring the KH pin (travel, entry, etc.), the retail value of the KH pin is $30 compared to the $17-19 for the Frozen BT.

As far as the wait, it was a surprise release already associated with a scheduled release so I don't think anyone's going to count waiting with unpleasant people in a yucky alley as part of it. People still have to wait in line at the pin event in WDW to collect their merchandise.

While the Frozen BT did shoot up quickly in value, it also fell as well, to an average asking price of $250-300 on Facebook.

Most people who broke up the Digital Disney set kept KH and are selling/trading all the other pins.

Every trader has their own value system. If you don't like what the other person is offering then just decline the trade. I get more frustrated with people offering hidden mickeys for low LE pins. To each their own.

I will say that I have offered an LE 400 pin for an LE 100 to someone on PinPics, but in the small section for personal notes I wrote that I knew that the offer was a bit one-sided and that I'd gladly pay the difference if they were interested in the trade. I've learned that many people don't read the personal notes. I just got a rude "Are you kidding? An LE 400? Quit wasting my time." So, rather than pointing out the details of my previous offer I decided that I didn't want to trade with that person. I'm a new trader, so I don't have much to offer, but I try to be fair and do my research.

Similar experience here. I don't have a lot to offer, as I do not live near any parks or have access to the overseas websites, etc., so trading for me is just a loss in money no matter what I do anyway - but I have tried to be fair and say that I will pay x amount of money in addition to the pins from their wants list in order to make the value of the trade be fair both ways, and I either get ignored or told off.

I understand that some people are holding onto low edition pins in the hopes that they will be able to trade it for another low edition someday, but if their pin is not really hard to find (as in, you can just get that pin on eBay) I don't see why offering money in addition to pins from someone's wants list is considered such bad form. I could have just sold my pins and bought what I wanted outright, but I really liked the idea of trading better, as that is what this hobby was all about.

Perhaps they didn't read the notes, like you say, and completely missed the x money part, or perhaps they just really want to use their pin to get some hard-to-find pins only, and have no interest in partial money trades.

Edit: I don't offer money with trades anymore. I only trade equal value pins and pretty much buy what else I want outright now. But it doesn't feel as good imo.

Last edited:
Wehenever i buy a pin it just doesnt feel as satisfying as trading for one, especially one youve wanted for a while.
However i know what you mean by the LE's not really equating out to value, such as the alice+ stitch auctions pin that is le 1000, i rarely see that pin for sale or trade now a days and i value that more than a couple le 300's or 100's

This is nothing new with pinpics. There has been lopsided offers since the beginning (tho I'm not saying the one you're talking about is lopsided...I don't know the 'value' of either pin), but I'm assuming you're thinking maybe it's not a fair offer? Either way, don't let it bother you, the longer you're in the hobby and/or on pinpics, the more it will happen.

Value has always been subjective. Keep in mind, also, that pin values fluctuate quite a bit from year to year. Back in the heyday of Disney Auctions, anything Stitch was golden (rather like Frozen is currently). Now you can pick up the near impossible Stitch of yesteryear for easier trades/purchase.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of traders are offering a single pin in the hopes of opening negotiations. I know it can be annoying to be inundated with a lot of requests. If you aren't really interested in trading, it's a simple matter to turn off the trade assistance in PinPics and just send out pin requests when you are ready for a serious trade. I did that a few years ago when I had to get out of trading for a time. Now that I'm refining the collection, I've turned it back on. Very first trade offer entailed a newer pin that I wanted for someone else's holy grail. Very satisfying to be able to help out another collector that way.

I feel that part of the problem is the trade assistant in Pinpics. It tries to pick which pins to offer and correct me if I am wrong, but there is no way to override that. Of course, the person sending the request needs to look closely at the fairness of the request. I wish we had more control of the trade assist process.

In some ways we do have control over the trade assist process. When I want to trade for a pin, I choose
what pins can I offer? I look at every pin there and consider the value of their pin and the pin I want.
I usually evaluate the trades/wants ratio, the le size, sometimes the value on ebay before I offer a pin.
I also consider the value of the pin in my mind and try to give something I would want for their pin.
But I try to understand each person's perspective when they make me an offer and kindly reply to them.
It would be nice if other traders would respond to trade requests, but I know that is not going to happen.
I really don't understand someone saying "are you kidding" or something to that effect. You never know
where a trader is coming from, how long they have been trading, and how much they value their pin.

I feel that part of the problem is the trade assistant in Pinpics. It tries to pick which pins to offer and correct me if I am wrong, but there is no way to override that. Of course, the person sending the request needs to look closely at the fairness of the request. I wish we had more control of the trade assist process.

Hi Sue,

Nope, the trade assist shows every possible trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back